• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exploding myths about the US military

Given the inaccuracies that have been rebutted by the Ruxted Group, I would say that the national media and npo's would be amongst the highest of suspect groups.

I swear I wanted to add a comment beside my post saying "though I'd not trust anything the media says" , but I've decided to keep it simple and to the point. Nevertheless, I agree on your statement. For actual research i'd entrust university research papers, government research, credible non-profit organizations and private research group that has not conducted the research on behalf of any individual or commercial entity.

tamouh said:
Trolling is putting information with no credible support for the only purpose of ignitig an argument. Everything i've mentioned in this post and others backed by credible sources or personal experiences.
thanks for the clarification.

Smart-mouth me again, and you start up the ladder.

I agree lets explode the myth that the Army is not able to man the force. We are ahead of this years goal.Re-enlistments are above goal which means we are not losing experienced troops.The max age for enlisting has just been increased to 42, this is primarily intended to help reserve and guard recruiting. But dont take my word for it,read it in the army times [owned by Gannet Newspapers].

$540 million paid to keep soldiers
Outlay is $50M more than last year, in 3 fewer months

By Gina Cavallaro
Times staff writer

Soldiers are re-enlisting at goal-busting rates — and they’re cashing in — but the pot of money is not like that bottomless cup of coffee at the highway diner.

With the war in Iraq entering its fourth year and signs showing that it will continue for many more, tough times are on the horizon, according to the Army’s G-1.

Personnel officials said there is no guarantee that the funding for re-up bonuses will continue to be so generous. 

The Army has spent more than $540 million on cash re-enlistment bonuses so far in fiscal 2006, of which 60 percent has been paid in tax-free dollars to troops in the combat zones.

“We will continue to spend some more,” said Col. Debbra Head, chief of the Army’s Enlisted Career Systems Division at the Pentagon. “However, we know there are some resource constraints, so quite frankly, we are concerned about funding for the rest of the year.

“Leadership has been very supportive in giving us additional funds when we’ve realized that we needed them,” but “there won’t be an endless source of resources here in terms of bonuses, and so we are concerned about that.”

Both the active Army and National Guard are ahead of their retention missions for the first nine months of fiscal 2006, although the reserve component is trailing.

The $540 million in retention bonuses the Army had paid out between Oct. 1 and June 12 — less than three quarters of the fiscal year — exceeds the $491 million it spent the previous fiscal year.

Between fiscal 2001 and 2005, the Army distributed $1.06 billion in cash bonuses to 105,625 soldiers, an average of $10,000 per soldier who re-enlisted and got paid for it. The soldiers who received bonuses those fiscal years represented about one-third of the 306,892 who re-enlisted.

One of the incentives that almost doubled re-up numbers between fiscal 2004 and 2005 was the deployed bonus, which was offered to soldiers of any military occupational specialty as a way of retaining combat veterans.

“The deployed bonus was critical because any soldier who was in the desert, regardless of their MOS, could re-enlist and get a bonus,” Head said. “As a result, we have seen a lot more takers and, obviously, a lot more money spent.”

As of the end of May, 52,190 active-duty soldiers had re-enlisted this fiscal year. That means the Army is ahead of goal. The mission for the year that ends Sept. 30 is to retain 64,200 soldiers.

As of May 31, the National Guard had re-enlisted 26,331 soldiers, which is 117 percent of its year-to-date goal of 22,478. The Guard’s overall retention goal for fiscal 2006 is 34,875.

The Army Reserve had re-enlisted 11,434 soldiers by the end of May, 95 percent of that component’s goal of 17,712.

Almost 90,000 soldiers in all three components re-enlisted in the first seven months of the year.

Re-upping in harm’s way

The 4th Infantry Division doled out more than $32 million to more than 2,500 soldiers, whose bonuses were higher and tax-free because they re-upped in the war zone.

Under the Army’s Selective Re-enlistment Bonus Fiscal Year Expiration-of-Term-of-Service program, soldiers in any MOS with a contractual ETS date of Jan. 6 through Sept. 30 could re-enlist before April 30 and receive an additional $7,500 on top of other re-enlistment bonuses.

The bonus payments started in December, when the 4th ID landed in Kuwait, according to Sgt. Maj. Arlene Horne, who said in a news release that the division had to set up a 24-hour operation for three weeks to handle the requests.

Strong re-enlistment numbers have continued since the unit got to Baghdad. “The division is so successful in retention because the soldiers want to be part of a great team and because of the dedicated leadership across the board,” said Command Sgt. Maj. Ronald T. Riling, in an e-mail to Army Times. “The soldiers believe in our mission. They believe in our division and our Army.”

“The bonus money gives these soldiers a chance to make investments, put away money for their children’s college funds or buy a new car,” Riling said in a division news release.

The 101st Airborne Division, whose headquarters are in Tikrit, has also topped its retention goals for fiscal 2006. As of June 8, the division had re-enlisted 3,426 soldiers, surpassing its target number of 3,352 for a retention rate of 102 percent.

The division’s 101st Aviation Brigade has led the way, signing up 599 soldiers — a 144 percent retention rate. Its goal was 417 re-enlistments.

“The Army came up with great incentives for soldiers to consider when they started looking at their options, and the division’s retention staff is working hard with soldiers to explore those options,” 101st spokesman Lt. Col. Edward Loomis wrote in an e-mail. But, he said, those incentives are only part of the reason soldiers have decided to stay with the Screaming Eagles, based at Fort Campbell, Ky.

“This is a very proud division with a great history, a history every new soldier arriving at Fort Campbell learns when they in-process the division and go through their initial orientation,” Loomis wrote. “The division re-enlisted 117 percent of its objective in FY 2004, and 100 percent of a higher objective in FY 2005 in the run-up to this deployment. In other words, Soldiers who knew the division was about to go in harm’s way again.”

tamouh said:
If the link was for a national media outlet or a non-profit organization, I'd not have bothered to comment on the initial post.
As we are all aware the Internet has brought new meaning to credible sources.

tamouh said:
For actual research i'd entrust university research papers

:rofl:

Ah, dude, you are just havin' one on us, right?

I think we'r getting away from the subject which was that we all love a bit of friendly American bashing and Yanks want to prove they'r not as silly as we think they are. They caqnt and they'r missing the point, it doesnt matter how clever they are, hell, every bloke in the Marines or Army could be qualified Lawyers, doctors and dentist, we'r still going to joke around and shake our heads at them.
We non American simply LOVE just slagging off Yanks and in Canada i've noticed that behind the nation conversation topic (The weather), complaining about "Those damn Americans" is almost the national pastime. It unites us in disdain and without it which society could we happily hate? Try this, "Those damn Saudi Arabians are fundamentalist idiots". You cant say that! Its racist and before you know it everyone around you will turn on you. But now try this, "Those damn Americans are fundamentalist idiots". Whos going to complain about that? Even doctors and lawyers will shake their heads and chuckle "Yeah, those damn Americans".
Everything that our politically correct society stops us from saying is can be bypassed by chucking as "American" in front of it. "I hate those damn Swedes, they'r so annoying"...NO cries the PC watchers, you cant say that! But you can say this, "I hate those damn Americans, they'r so annoying". See what i mean?

So in conclusion, it doesnt matter whether these facts have backing or whether they are just made up, who here is going to stop next time as theyr about to say something about yanks and think, 'hey wait a second, that isnt strictly true'? No one! Your going to keep barreling on and say something stupid (eg look up at the dripple i'm spitting!) while everyone nods and smile at it. Like the Fergusons say in their guide book "How to be a Canadian", American bashing is what unites people and the fact that Canadian are not Americans is a source of great pride for them. So whatever facts you can supply can easily be pushed to the side next time your around the water filter and need a topic to chat about...
"You see that thing on the news about that thing the Yanks did? haha, those crazy Americans, what will they think of next?"
Feel free to ignore this post if your looking for something serious, i'm in a crazy hungover state.

Fortunately, not all Canadians think of our American brethren the same way. Many of us support what they do and how they do it. It also takes nothing more than to be an ignorant, smug dumbass, to believe that your better than someone else because of geographic boundries. Take me to any large Canadian city and I'll show you thousands living in those glass houses and throwing stones. They're no better, actually worse, just to stupid to know it.

Trooper Hale said:
we all love a bit of friendly American bashing and Yanks want to prove they'r not as silly as we think they are.

We non American simply LOVE just slagging off Yanks and in Canada i've noticed that behind the nation conversation topic

WE statements... are very dangerous to make.  I don't share the same view and I'm a "non American"
Please speak for yourself.. Try I statements. 

I'm in a crazy hungover state.

That doesn't excuse you for your post.  Either
a) sober up
or
b) smarten up

Your post really was an insult to our US friend (in MY opinion)

Trinity said:
Your post really was an insult to our US friend
and not your first. Not your first today, in fact. But, it should certainly be your last.

One thing about this enlistment figures - that more are staying in and more are joining up - is this out of desire and patriotism or - at the other end of the spectrum - no jobs or no possibility of getting a decent job in the civilian world? This is not a slag by the way.. simple curiosity - as, as you know, people join the forces for different reasons. If the latter is true - no jobs, or Macjobs, then these figures are worrisome as  the USA is the economic engine of the world.

well, if someone were joining up for a job, not out of a sense of Duty, they're hardly the type of person to stick around when they know beyond any doubt that they would soon be in a situation dangerous to their existance, don'tcha think?

People who enlist for their own interests are not the type to stick around in a war. They'd rather a McJob than a chance to get blowed up.

Actually i don't know to be honest - met lots of gung-ho types as a sapper in the 70's but... when the shit hit the fan... these guys disappeared fast...posers and grunters they were called. It's  same I think throughout time. I'm thinking back to the 70's again. Lots of Newfies joined then for want of better jobs. and lots of these guys became darned good soldiers. Many times it is the system that makes the soldier - think back to the Airborne Regiment - Good bosses, good comrades make good soldiers. In other words, a good recruit system and good unit camaraderie makes for a sense of duty.

JackD said:
Actually i don't know to be honest - met lots of gung-ho types as a sapper in the 70's but... when the shit hit the fan... these guys disappeared fast...posers and grunters they were called.
exactly. And the shit has not only hit the fan, it's been in there for 3 years. The posers are gone. The weak are culled. Folks joining now KNOW they're headin' into a fight.

I'm sorry if i offended anyone (or everyone). I Meant my post as joke and not to be taken overly seriously.
Like i said in the post, i know a far few really nice Americans, i was just highlighting the way i've seen things but also making a joke about the way things relating to Americans seem to be percieved. I was being a smug sort of bastard and i accept that. Sorry about the whole thing, i just thought a bit of sarcasm and homour might be a good thing every now and then. I'll smarten up.

JackD said:
One thing about this enlistment figures - that more are staying in and more are joining up - is this out of desire and patriotism or - at the other end of the spectrum - no jobs or no possibility of getting a decent job in the civilian world? This is not a slag by the way.. simple curiosity - as, as you know, people join the forces for different reasons. If the latter is true - no jobs, or Macjobs, then these figures are worrisome as  the USA is the economic engine of the world.

The US economy is booming,so there are plenty of jobs for young high school grads. To compete the Army has been offering nice bonus' for both enlisting and re-enlisting particularly for critical MOS like EOD,linguists,SF among others. Re-enlistment bonus' paid in theater are tax free which is a really sweet deal. Military pay is very competitive with civilian pay when you factor in healthcare,food and housing allowances plus base pay. The military has a very nice tuition assistance program for those wanting to continue their education while in service.

We can sustain the all volunteer force at current levels. If we were faced with two wars then we would have to begin the draft to sustain an Army at Vietnam levels. This is always a possibility but one that is remote.

Trooper Hale said:
I'm sorry if i offended anyone (or everyone). I Meant my post as joke and not to be taken overly seriously.
Like i said in the post, i know a far few really nice Americans, i was just highlighting the way i've seen things but also making a joke about the way things relating to Americans seem to be percieved. I was being a smug sort of ******* and i accept that. Sorry about the whole thing, i just thought a bit of sarcasm and homour might be a good thing every now and then. I'll smarten up.

I really wouldn't feel to bad about it, despite the somewhat thin-skinned finger-wagging from some folks. Poking jabs back and forth across the border is a fact of life here, and it has been as long as there has been a border.  On personal and professional working levels, things are usually great. It's collectively that we seem to piss each other off from time to time, but that's probably just a healthy sign that we really are different, and see things differently. Sometimes it gets a bit too rabid on one side or the other, but that usually fades after a while, since the real screamers are usually either just ignorant or jealous or both.

Cheers

I'm still learning about the Canada - US relationship and everytime i think i know what it is someone says someone different.

Why don't you just be quiet and read awhile. Maybe you'll learn some more.

I believe the 82nd hit it re-up targets and then some in Iraq.  The troops, or some of them, aren't even trying to get a McJob or home to daddy's farm.

I suspect its largely out of loyalty to buddies...the ones you would be leaving over there, that type of thing.

I know that is what would do it for me.  More than being loyal to good ol GWB.

Mud Recce Man said:
I know that is what would do it for me.  More than being loyal to good ol GWB.
how about being loyal to the nation that gave you and your family so much? The nation that came under attack. How about being loyal to the ideals on which your nation was founded? How about being loyal to the idea that Freedom and Justice are concepts worth fighting and dying for?

Or maybe it's just the idea of knowing you're doing a good thing.

Either way, I'd be willing to continue the fight.

Back