• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Expedition Instructor. What do I need?

matt1995

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going to expedition instructor this and I was wondering what I need to bring. A lot of civies? Hiking boots? Random stuff that would be helpful?

Thanks

Thanks guys. Cause that was suuuuuuper helpful. I went to CL Marksman last year so I didn't go to Basic Expedition and yes, I have checked the kit list but it isn't very specific on if we are going to be wearing civies the whole time.

And if you're going to be as helpful as my little buddies up there ^^^^^^^^ don't bother posting because you clearly know nothing on the subject so you decide instead to give me a stupid answer.

Stacked said:
If you're going as an instructor, you would think you knew how it works already.

Expedition Instructor is the name of the course, one that was introduced in the CPU. (S)he is not a staff cadet.

You should bring exactly what is in the joining instructions for the CSTC you're attending. That is the kit you will need. Anything else is more than needed and may make your bag weigh too much if you have to fly (e.g. Atlantic region course cadets are limited to 1 bag no more than 50 lbs). Also, it will help you verify you don't bring any forbidden items. If there's something not on the kit list that you need, you will be issued it.

Really there is no better answer than this. Just use the kit list and common sense. I've been going to CSTCs for the last 9 years (this will be my 10th) and those two together have never failed me.

Thank you! Now that's an answer! You see guys, it's not so hard! And again do you know if we will be wearing civies during the expedition or combats? Because the kit list says :quick dry shirts, shorts and pants (as required), for expedition instructor.

cadet1994 said:
Thanks guys. Cause that was suuuuuuper helpful. I went to CL Marksman last year so I didn't go to Basic Expedition and yes, I have checked the kit list but it isn't very specific on if we are going to be wearing civies the whole time.

And if you're going to be as helpful as my little buddies up there ^^^^^^^^ don't bother posting because you clearly know nothing on the subject so you decide instead to give me a stupid answer.

Personally, I'd suggest you stow the attitude quickly - if you're not prepared for the answer, I'd suggest rethink the question you're asking.  And BTW - I do work with a Cadet unit, have been a Cadet, and have supported many Cadet Camps over the years, so do a know something about what goes on...and if you'd been working for me and came across with that attitude, especially to an adult, you wouldn't have been there for very long.  If it doesn't say you're going to be wearing civvies, I'd assume you'd be wearing a uniform of some sort.

If you'd asked a question along the line of " Hey, anyone else going on this course know if XYZ is what's being worn, since it doesn't seem obvious on the kit list or joining instructions...", the answers you'd have seen would likely have been different.  Ask the question you did, well those are the answers pretty much anyone would have given you and no different if one of my troops at work had done the same.

MM

Sorry MM, but if you're going to answer in a way that makes it sound like i'm an idiot, you just might get a response like that. I asked a simple question and maybe I just wasn't expecting such an immature response from an «adult». If you're going to try to «help» cadets with a tone like that, they're better off without your help. I don't care how old you are, it was clear to me that you were not trying to help.

cadet1994 said:
Sorry MM, but if you're going to answer in a way that makes it sound like i'm an idiot, you just might get a response like that. I asked a simple question and maybe I just wasn't expecting such an immature response from an «adult». If you're going to try to «help» cadets with a tone like that, they're better off without your help. I don't care how old you are, it was clear to me that you were not trying to help.

Okay, I was helpful before, now I'm getting irritated. The advice he gave you was the same as what I gave you, I just went into a little more detail. If you wanted further clarification, you should have specifically sought that. You were being rude and disrespectful to someone who was trying to help you. For this forum, that's very unappreciated. I'm with MM. You need to check the attitude if you want help. Welcome to Milnet.ca.

Sorry for being a little bit surprised when the first two replies I get are smart-ass remarks when I asked a simple question. I this how you like to spend your time when you are 42 years-old MM? You need to intimidate a smart-ass 15 year-old like me? I found it very disrespectful to be spoken to like I am stupid.

cadet1994 said:
Sorry for being a little bit surprised when the first two replies I get are smart-*** remarks

This is the second reply you got:

medicineman said:
Kit list and joining instructions might be a good start...

MM

Not only is it not a "smart ***" response but it is the correct response, as was shown to you in another reply.

This is ridiculous guys. Give me a break. I'm 15. I want to hear from from fellow cadets or HELPFUL CIC officers that have some actual knowledge, not a bunch of 40 year-olds that really should have no interest in the topic anyway except maybe they feel they need to reply in a useless manner. I don't know, maybe you're just bored. But seriously isn't there something better you could be doing besides putting up with me?

cadet1994 said:
not a bunch of 40 year-olds

I'm 35 and you got your answer already. It was given to you by MM, who works with cadets and was confirmed by JMesh, who is a CIC officer.

You remind me a lot of me when I first started on this forum. I had to smarten up and take the good advice before I got any respect around here. I did, and now I contribute wherever I know what I'm talking about enough to do so effectively, aiding anyone I can. The point is, you were given a helpful answer, and you were rude. All we're saying is to tone it down next time and be grateful for what help you get. If you have further questions, ask them. That's what I did with my questions about transferring to the Naval Reserve (not yet complete, I'm still currently CIC) and people helped me without any hesitation.

The second answer wasn't smart-a**. It was a genuine answer, and you acknowledged that in stating my answer was helpful, which was in essence the same answer.

And in regards to your last, I'm not 40, I'm 21.

I asked : will we be wearing civies for most of the course? The replies I received were Check the Kit List! Very helpful when the kit list is a generic one for all courses and it does not tell me what I will be wearing during the course. I am not stupid. No one answered my question yet!

You're not going to have alot of fun on your course - last kid I saw like you had soaking wet kit for a very cold 2 week trip courtesy of their course mates.  Assuming you're not RTU'd for being an attitude problem...be interesting explaining that to your CO.

Want to be a leader?  Stop asking to be spoon fed. 

Hope your teddy didn't get hurt when you tossed him in the corner.

MM

If you needed lots of civilians, your joining instructions would tell you that. If they don't, then you don't need them. That was my post, so yes, I answered your question. You will probably wear OG-107s, since most (if not all) army CSTCs have an abundance of them. Asked, answered.

Admins, if I may be so bold, I recommend a lock before this gets out of hand.

Perhaps to put an end to the online scuttlebutt.  Get on the phone to your chain of command within your cadet corps. I'll bet you'll get all the little details you're looking for.

I knew I should have stayed out of the Cadet threads....

Stacked:
Stacked said:
If you're going as an instructor, you would think you knew how it works already.
This adds nothing. Your opinion might be valid but the question was asked for a reason and I think you could have either been more constructive or just kept your mouth shut and allowed someone else to answer. Please do not let it happen again. Thanks.

Nauticus said:
That wasn't very helpful at all.
Nauticus, while Stacked's response might have been better kept to himself, it did have a point to it as far as the thread goes. Yours does nothing but further derail the subject. I have asked you, more than once, to curtail this behaviour and you steadfastly ignore my requests. Perhaps a week on Verbal will help you remember for next time: if you have a problem with what someone posts then please use the report to moderator function.

Cadet1994,

You asked a question and, for the most part, got the answers you were seeking. If they were not posted in the manner which you would have liked to have seen them then that is no fault of the people who were trying to help you. I agree with the others: you need to check your attitude.

You have people with a lot of experience who tried to help you. With the way you reacted it'll be no surprise to me if no one else decides to chime in.

Good luck.

Scott
Staff

Back