• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EV's, Gas/Oil, and The Future- another swerve split from- JT Hints Boosting Canada’s Military Spending

Rural Canada has no recycling program. Actually, most small towns and small cities don't have a recycling program. Recycling programs are something you only see in Big Cities 100k+ population. Most other places, everything goes in the bin.
No we don't, we burn it or compost it if it doesn't burn. Then the ash is used for fertilizer.

No we don't, we burn it or compost it if it doesn't burn. Then the ash is used for fertilizer.
Most of it actually ends up at a landfill. Less than 20% of stuff thrown in to a Green Bin ends up as actual compost.

Two methods of composting:

Aerobic Digestion: This is what I do in my backyard. Throw a bunch of bio matter in bin and let it break down over a number of months and then use the broken down material as a supplement for gardening.

Great primer on that here:

Some small Cities also do this but you are limited to what you can really throw in. A lot of stuff people think they can compost isn't actually compostable and is a contaminant. This stuff all just gets dumped at the landfill, along with everything else.

Anerobic Digestion: This is what is done is many large cities. It's an intensive process and there is a large decontamination process. The bio-matter that is the end-product of this process is contaminated with plastic and is sold to manufacturers who use it in various products but it needs to be further refined and broken down. It also produces a lot of methane as a bi-product of that process.

Soon comrade you will get your free state supplied methane.....

hq720.jpg

Canada has gone from 22nd in 1995 to 41st in 2021 in Harvard's Atlas of Economy Complexity. That was one above India, who has probably surpassed us by now.

Boomers really are ignorant of how the world has changed eh?
Look at the amount of bought tech leaving Canada. Then add in industrial losses and insecurities of bad governments and one has a recipe for business and development to go elsewhere.
Canada has some very specialized industries that do very well and are very niche markets. I would prefer having those over a larger diverse one.
We can always diversify into other lower tech and industries. Only of we have the skills to do so. We have that.

Look at the amount of bought tech leaving Canada.

This contradicts your earlier post that everything is hunky dory in Canada.

Sadly, your level of ignorance is par for the course. Especially across your generation. Boomers inherited an amazing complex economy that added a ton of value and turned it into a real estate ponzi scheme with a resource base so they could run up huge debts to support their (fiscally )unsustainable lifestyles. Future generations will pay for all of that.

The next few years will be quite interesting as electrification grows and AI becomes more capable of taking while collar jobs. And it increasingly becomes apparent that Trudeau was maybe half the problem. The rest is exactly attitudes like the above.

This is actually the crux of the issue. Let's start with the premise that almost nobody in the City is driving an F150 or a big truck, because it's completely impractical. The only time I really see people driving pickups in Cities is usually because its a work truck. Sure there might be the odd person who bucks the trend just like there is 1 person in my villagewho owns a BMW but....
My anecdotal observations differ. While not definitive, lots of non-trade-looking trucks in places like the GTA , Barrie, etc. The fact that the Ford F-series and Chev Silvarado and the top selling products in the US and probably Canada (I couldn't find similar Canadian data other than 'truck' sales outstrip 'car' sales). Expand on that, if you go into toney places areas of Oakville, Markham or similar areas of Toronto, large SUVs rule as daily drives.

This contradicts your earlier post that everything is hunky dory in Canada.

Sadly, your level of ignorance is par for the course. Especially across your generation. Boomers inherited an amazing complex economy that added a ton of value and turned it into a real estate ponzi scheme with a resource base so they could run up huge debts to support their (fiscally )unsustainable lifestyles. Future generations will pay for all of that.

The next few years will be quite interesting as electrification grows and AI becomes more capable of taking while collar jobs. And it increasingly becomes apparent that Trudeau was maybe half the problem. The rest is exactly attitudes like the above.
Twice in a day you've mentioned "boomer". It must be tiring to be constantly angry at your predecessors. You must be a hoot at family gatherings.

Twice in a day you've mentioned "boomer". It must be tiring to be constantly angry at your predecessors. You must be a hoot at family gatherings.

I do alright. Can't help it if certain perspectives come with certain ages.

It's quite interesting to compare your persona here vs at UT. You know you wouldn't say this in that forum. I wonder why.

Rural Canada has no recycling program. Actually, most small towns and small cities don't have a recycling program. Recycling programs are something you only see in Big Cities 100k+ population. Most other places, everything goes in the bin.
My parents cottage is Rural Canada, but they have a recycling program — it’s self drop off (and so is trash, and you need to pay for trash bags/bag dropped) so that sort of incentivizes recycling.

It’s an unusual setup compared to how we do it down here so it usually takes me a bit to sort it properly.

Both are effectively voluntary, but the one up in Killaloe/Haggarty-Richards ON has the fact you pay for drop off of trash to try to get folks to sort out their recycling correctly.

Both places use collection sites to take them to larger facilities— I have zero idea where they go from the larger site - as neither have any sort of remediation/processing facilities nearby.

The reason for this is pretty simple: it's not economical.
That is solely an issue of scale. I would suggest that most of the local collection sites can be economically run given a viable population, and schedule of movement from those areas. But as far as individual pickup - yeah that’s not feasible.

My parents cottage is Rural Canada, but they have a recycling program — it’s self drop off (and so is trash, and you need to pay for trash bags/bag dropped) so that sort of incentivizes recycling.

If we're being honest, there's no value to recycling beyond metals (and maybe glass).

Boomerism is a state of mind. And Child56 has it in spades. I was referring to his ignorance of how much the economy has changed and devolved over the last 30 years. Love how y'all need to deflect and change topics.
"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it."

- George Orwell

If folks can't start debating the ideas and topics instead of making personal attacks, I'm going to lock this up and hand out warnings.

- Milnet.ca Staff

I do alright. Can't help it if certain perspectives come with certain ages.

It's quite interesting to compare your persona here vs at UT. You know you wouldn't say this in that forum. I wonder why.
I'm sure I first used that line in that forum, but don't really recall.

It's interesting that broad-brushing is tolerated when referring to some groups more than others.

My "personna" might differ between forums, I doubt (hope?) my overall views do not. The audience can shape how we act or present ourselves. My 'personna' when on my m/c with a bunch of dudes is different than when I was working in a suit in my profession. That forum is very urban-centric and left-leaning. I tend to focus only on infrastructure/transportation but may wander into other threads if the topic and mood strikes. Similar to here, there are threads That I do not play in simply because I have either no views or interest.

I am active on another forum that is largely US-based trades and handy-persons. There are topics there that I won't touch with a 3-metre pole, simply because I know the audience.

My "personna" might differ between forums, I doubt (hope?) my overall views do not. The audience can shape how we act or present ourselves. My 'personna' when on my m/c with a bunch of dudes is different than when I was working in a suit in my profession. That forum is very urban-centric and left-leaning. I tend to focus only on infrastructure/transportation but may wander into other threads if the topic and mood strikes. Similar to here, there are threads That I do not play in simply because I have either no views or interest.

So are you more honest there or here?

My views don't change based on the audience. Take it or leave it.

"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it."

- George Orwell

“A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.” — Greek Proverb

It’s an unusual setup compared to how we do it down here so it usually takes me a bit to sort it properly.

Both are effectively voluntary, but the one up in Killaloe/Haggarty-Richards ON has the fact you pay for drop off of trash to try to get folks to sort out their recycling correctly.

Both places use collection sites to take them to larger facilities— I have zero idea where they go from the larger site - as neither have any sort of remediation/processing facilities nearby.

That is solely an issue of scale. I would suggest that most of the local collection sites can be economically run given a viable population, and schedule of movement from those areas. But as far as individual pickup - yeah that’s not feasible.
That's pretty common across a lot of rural Ontario because of the seasonal population and low density. Curbside trash collection can be spotty, often because of the low density and quality of some of the roads. Where the in-law's cottage is, everything goes to the landfill/transfer station but residents have a card, so the cost is covered by taxes. Where I am, we have curbside trash and recycling but we are near a city so I assume the recycling is partnered with them. Our landfill is open one day a week off-season and a whopping two days in the summer (some areas of the township have no curbside). There is virtually no separating - it all goes in the whole. It has been something to get used to coming from a county that had curbside everything including green bin and transfer station 'sorts' for a wide range of material. We put out a small bag of garbage once a month.

Back when we had the standard "blue box" I'd sort all our recycling by type...glass, metal, paper, box board, cardboard, etc. Now we have a large, wheeled bin and they have us put everything together so the truck can lift and dump the bin without a human having to touch it.

I have ZERO faith that the material is properly sorted and re-cycled once it reaches the transfer station.

“A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.” — Greek Proverb
Pretty much everything around us was planted, at some point, by older people. Boomerism as a state of mind, along with the contributions of every other generation then voting, gave Canada good fiscal policy from about 1985 to 2015. I'm not sure exactly who the LPC has successfully bribed with policies that significantly improve the positions of young families, but I doubt it includes very many of the people who were already 40+ in 2015. A criticism that can be leveled at Boomers is insufficient procreation to support assumptions underpinning a few social programs, but an historical fact is that the generation was just coming of age coincident with the advent of birth control pills, and an empirically observable fact is that prosperous people tend to have smaller families when they can control their pregnancies. No generation since has behaved differently.

Always a good idea to reflect on the tale of the old bull and the young bull.

Young bull: let's run down there and f*ck a couple of those cows.

Old bull: no, son, we're going to walk down there and f*ck them all.

Back when we had the standard "blue box" I'd sort all our recycling by type...glass, metal, paper, box board, cardboard, etc. Now we have a large, wheeled bin and they have us put everything together so the truck can lift and dump the bin without a human having to touch it.

I have ZERO faith that the material is properly sorted and re-cycled once it reaches the transfer station.

You sorted. You can be sure that most people didn't bother and probably just tossed it in the trash. Which is why municipalities have decided to spend on sorting themselves.

Back