• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Etymology of "I Support the Troops"

DualCore

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anybody provide any background or scholarly sociological analysis of the "I support the Troops" slogan?

I seems to me that "I support the troops" is code for "I support the troops, but deny all risk/responsibility/knowledge/effort/tax-obligations ... "

Can you imagine anyone in the past taking such an indifferent or antithetical view to our government sending our citizens to kill and perhaps die for some mission that our democracy has mandated.

I'm not sure what people declared in the olden-days, but if you want to echo the sentiment, you must start with "I Support the Troops", and then add "I also support my country, democracy, liberty, and the missions that we send Canadians to risk their lives."

My guess is that it is some compromise between the American-Left and the American-Media after Vietnam that spitting on soldiers is not good for the country, but if you declare "I support the troops" then all manner of treason is perfectly acceptable. 

Hanoi-Jane is a smear, but Taliban-Jack is a electoral slogan that one can wear with pride and expect excellent kick-backs from voters who can want more pop-idol, less ramp-ceremony, as this is their only contact with the world.

Didn't we just talk about this in a tiresome thread not too long ago? Please do a search.

Back