• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment with scars [Merged]

bohr

Inactive
Reaction score
As a child, I was physically abused by my parents. As a result, I have numerous scars on both my forearms (Not self inflicted). My mental history is clean.

Could this prevent me from enlisting?

I had a few questionable scars.
Wasn't a problem for me.

Just be upfront about them, when you do your physical the med tech will notice them.

bohr said:
Could this prevent me from enlisting?

Nope.

Don't stress about it.  I know a few people who will go unnamed that have lots of visible scars that are self-inflicted and the army doesn't seam to mind.  Or notice.

MedKAWD said:
I know a few people who will go unnamed that have lots of visible scars that are self-inflicted and the army doesn't seam to mind. 

Seam?  ;D

Dueling scars used to be fashionable, in some military circles:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Dueling_Scar

Tom Berenger had a nasty one in "Platoon".

MedKAWD said:
Nope.

Don't stress about it.  I know a few people who will go unnamed that have lots of visible scars that are self-inflicted and the army doesn't seam to mind.  Or notice.

We don't mind - but I certainly notice when I do a physical and I ask about all scars - self inflicted ones especially that aren't accounted for in the mental health or physical trauma questions.  We don't mind them being there - why they're there is another story.

MM

I had an interesting child in that I was injured enough to repeatedly require 10+ sutures, and upon enrollment actually used a few scars as my personal identifying characteristics.

Scars are not a problem, as long as they are not self inflicted.

Barmecide said:
I had a few questionable scars.
Wasn't a problem for me.

Just be upfront about them, when you do your physical the med tech will notice them.

Let's say the medtech and the doctor don't notice them, and you're accepted into the forces.

Is there any other examination etc. where they might be noticed? And if they are noticed, are you automatically thrown out?

Unless things have changed, you will do your medical only wearing a pair of shorts (if you are male, not sure about females) and your scars will be noticed.

However, on you forms for your ID Card, you are supposed to list all your Scars and Tattoos. 

So, along with the previous posts, you are asked about scars, and tattoos, at various interviews (Medical, security, etc.) throughout your CF career.

George Wallace said:
However, on you forms for your ID Card, you are supposed to list all your Scars and Tattoos.

They don't seem to care much about that anymore.  When I got my second tattoo, I called the ID Sect to let them know and they weren't really interested.  I didn't bother for the third one.

Cerulean_Sky said:
Let's say you're careful so the medtech and the doctor don't notice them, and you're accepted into the forces.

Is there any other examination etc. where they might be noticed? And if they are noticed, are you automatically thrown out?

Sounds like you have something to hide - if you lie about stuff that's medically related and we find out later (oddly enough, we usually do), it's an irregular enrollment and you could be charged and shown the door.

Do you have something to hide?

MM

PMedMoe said:
They don't seem to care much about that anymore.  When I got my second tattoo, I called the ID Sect to let them know and they weren't really interested.  I didn't bother for the third one.

Not so much when you renew your ID, but usually more so when you get your first one.

George Wallace said:
Not so much when you renew your ID, but usually more so when you get your first one.

Possibly.

I also agree with medicineman's statement, which was my first thought on reading the post.  "What do you have to hide?"  ???

medicineman said:
Sounds like you have something to hide - if you lie about stuff that's medically related and we find out later (oddly enough, we usually do), it's an irregular enrollment and you could be charged and shown the door.

Do you have something to hide?

MM

Yes and no. I really can't answer that without going into more detail than I'd be comfortable doing on a public board.

It's nothing that would medically pose a threat to or inconvenience anyone in the Forces, nor anything that would interfere with my ability to perform any duties.

Just make sure you bring it up with your medical staff on your medical - hate for badness to happen because you caught yourself in a lie.

MM

This should be fun, I was a butcher for 10years(worked in slaughterhouse for 5 of them) got some nice ones on hands, wrist and even on the back of the arm!! Allways wear protective gear!!!!!!!

Robbie4296 said:
This should be fun, I was a butcher for 10years(worked in slaughterhouse for 5 of them) got some nice ones on hands, wrist and even on the back of the arm!! Allways wear protective gear!!!!!!!

Hey Robbie, I have a lot of respect for workers in that industry. I am not surprised that you have scars. It's a very dangerous job. I was sent into the Stockyards ( Keele and St. Clair ) many times before they shut it down in the 1990's. It was the biggest slaughterhouse in Canada. 
Lots of lacerations. Power saws, augers, knife blades. Amputations too. Guys getting their arms caught in the pulling machines, conveyor belts and meat grinders. Even the occasional decapitation. Crushing trauma, getting hit and run over by forklifts, trucks, even slow-moving trains. Sides of cattle falling on people. Swinging meat-hanging hooks hitting them in the face or eye. It was a frigging blood bath. Not just for the animals. Machines I don't know the names of. They called us in for caustic chemical injuries too. Fuel burns.  They were inhaling chlorine, bleach and amonia, all mixed in with animal waste and disease. Lots of hot solutions in tanks. The toxic waste must have been incredible.
I never saw a stampede in there, but was told they happen.
I don't think I ever saw them slow the line down for anyone, unless they were trapped. There wasn't much publicity either. You couldn't get a drink in that area. They knew from experience that the workers would drink themselves into oblivion. It was only after they shut the slaughterhouse down that the local residents finally voted "wet".
I was in the poultry place too, but it looked a lot safer because it was highly mechanized, and the birds were so much smaller.
There is still an abattoir on Niagara St., which is very close to where I used to work. Depending on which way the wind was blowing, the stench was pretty bad. But, like so many things, you get used to it.

Oh yah good old Keele and St clair you must be talking about Canada Packers, I worked at St Helens, and another place across the street, cant remember the name, both beef houses, I worked lots on the boning lines very fast paced, then headed down to the pork plant Quality,which is the one down on Niagara st and Tecsumseth I believe 16000 kills a day, very busy I was.
When I first moved to Alberta I worked the Kill Floor at a Pork plant just outside St.Albert, eventually the cold/hot and the noise got to me and I figured 5years of that crap was enough so studied real hard and became a Electrician, much cleaner, and dont drink as much lol.
Chicken plants are pretty disgusting I think, never wanted to work in them lol.

Ugh theres an area by  the Saddledome that makes be want to barf still.

As for scars nothing you can do. I never thought of the mild stretch marks on my shoulders from lifting in college and they were seen. I think , anyone correct me, they are for ID purposes. Now if you had "HATE" carved into you or a symbol of the such, Im sure it would raise further investigation. Much like tattoos would, no?

All in all the medical staff will see them and note it. Talking to them will likely get you the answers you seek. Just be forthcoming and honest. Good Luck

Back