• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enough Salts?

Theoat

Inactive
Reaction score
A while back at my home unit I was talking to someone and he mentioned that when you do strenuous exercise/work over a period of time you lose the salt or alcalyds (sp?) from your body so it is a good idea to mix in your salt packet with your juice crystals if you don‘t use it for your food. Is thifor real or just an old wives tale?

well im not a doctor but at the gym i was reading while on the treadmill and the article said just about the same thing however it said that a mixture of long cardiovascular activities and lots of drinking water will minimiZe salt levels which is dangerous to people, they did mention that only major athletes in training and gulping alot of water during the day are at risk....
to date ive seen alot of people passout because of dehydration rather than a lack of salt
so drink on and train hard

The thing is electrolytes. In plain water, you dont have any salts in it. If you do the 13k walk, or an exercise that is long (badminton, running, cycling, weight lifting, cricket...), you will loose a lot of salts. The problem is that in a cell, there is a balance beetween the quantity of salt inside and outside the cell. It permit the transport of water in the cell and its called osmosis equilibrium. When you loose a lot of salt, this equilibrium is brooken. The cell will loose water, and wont be able to work properly.

In that way, too much water can do the same thing. You can die. So, we need to drink, but not in excess. The best way to ensure that the balance is respected is to drink sport drink or by adding a little amount of salt to the water. As for myself, i never do a run longer than 40 min without a sport drink.

smoky, i can tell you that not just athlete can have this problem. You can die drinking too much water and sitting in your chair watching the TV. And you can die sitting in that same chair because of deshydratation.

Furthermore, deshydratation and lack of salt are related. Plain water is consider as a diuretic. If you add salts in small amount, it will be retained longer in the blood and aborb faster.

Like i said, it is always a question of balance... if blood salts drop (due to sweet), water level drop. Then you drink plain water? blood water level will increase a little but wont be able to stay because the salt level is too low = deshydratation. You decide to flood yourself with plain water to compensate = hyponatremia = death.

So please, Drink on SPORTS DRINK and train hard, especially in summer.

Back