• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

I hear you Krazy... So far, I've been waiting for 9 months for the background check to be completed. From what I've been told it will take anywhere from 1 to 3 years. The amount of time varies significantly from one aplicant to another, depending on many factors. Those factors include how old you were when you came to Canada, how old you are now, the country you are from, etc.. My advice to you is that you should let them start running the background check on you asap. It shouldn't really take that long for it to be completed for you since you are still young. You are looking anywhere from 1 to 1.5 years.. Good luck
With that said, does anyone know how exactly they run the security check? As in, how they will get the information on me, and why it takes so long?       

With that said, does anyone know how exactly they run the security check? As in, how they will get the information on me, and why it takes so long?        

I posted an answer to this some time ago.  Check the board.

I feel like I lucked out at least once in my life...
Moved to Canada in '99 from a scheduled country, applied for reserves in 2000 and got it in late 2000. My first security check took close to 8 months. As soon as i got in rules have changed to 10 years.

I'm Russian but I moved here from Kazakhstan. Thanks for all your help guys. I still don't get it though...what do they expect to find on and 8 year old kid, thats so messed up. Can't believe it takes so long. And another thing, it says in the document Kincanucks posted up, number 2 at the bottom, something about you coming with with your parents, what does that mean, that if you came with your parents you don't need the check.

Krazy Al said:
I'm Russian but I moved here from Kazakhstan. Thanks for all your help guys. I still don't get it though...what do they expect to find on and 8 year old kid, thats so messed up. Can't believe it takes so long. And another thing, it says in the document Kincanucks posted up, number 2 at the bottom, something about you coming with with your parents, what does that mean, that if you came with your parents you don't need the check.

Applicants who were accompanying their parents while they were employed outside Canada are not to be considered in this category. This means that if you are a Canadian citizen and your parents are Canadian citizens and one or both of them were working outside Canada and you, because you depend on them to live, were with them then you wouldn't require a Pre-Sec.

Refer to the following document: (CFAO 49-10)

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-10_e.asp

Specifically to do with security checks; it states;
SECURITY CLEARANCE PRE-ASSESSMENT

3.          The purpose of a security clearance pre-assessment is to establish whether it is likely that an applicant will meet the
security standards for the assigned MOC

4.          A clearance pre-assessment is mandatory for applicants who will require a security clearance either during occupation
training or immediately upon employment following occupation training, and when:

a.        (1)      the applicant is not a Canadian citizen;

(2)      the applicant was not born in Canada or has not resided in Canada for a 10-year period immediately
                              prior to enrolment;

(3)      the immediate relatives of the applicant were born, have resided, or are currently residing in a
                              scheduled country as defined in A-SJ-100-001/AS-000.

b.        the applicant had previous service in the CF Regular or Reserve sub-components, or in the Supplementary Ready
                    Reserve element of the Supplementary Reserve; or

c.        the applicant admits to a criminal conviction during the reliability check process.

5.          In addition to the circumstances described above -and-in keeping with the spirit of the security clearance pre-assessment
program, NDHQ/DG Secur/DSC (Director Security Clearance) encourages the initiation of pre-assessment requests by recruiting authorities
whenever circumstances cause reasonable doubt that an applicant will meet the basic security clearance standards for the assigned MOC.

6.          When a pre-assessment is required in accordance with paragraphs 4 or 5, the applicant shall not be enroled before the
security clearance pre-assessment is initiated and notification respecting the pre-assessment request is received from NDHQ/DG
Secur/DSC.

Hope that helps.

2Lt_Burgie said:
Refer to the following document: (CFAO 49-10)

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-10_e.asp

Specifically to do with security checks; it states;
SECURITY CLEARANCE PRE-ASSESSMENT

3.           The purpose of a security clearance pre-assessment is to establish whether it is likely that an applicant will meet the
security standards for the assigned MOC

4.           A clearance pre-assessment is mandatory for applicants who will require a security clearance either during occupation
training or immediately upon employment following occupation training, and when:

a.         (1)        the applicant is not a Canadian citizen;

(2)        the applicant was not born in Canada or has not resided in Canada for a 10-year period immediately
                              prior to enrolment;

(3)        the immediate relatives of the applicant were born, have resided, or are currently residing in a
                              scheduled country as defined in A-SJ-100-001/AS-000.

b.         the applicant had previous service in the CF Regular or Reserve sub-components, or in the Supplementary Ready
                    Reserve element of the Supplementary Reserve; or

c.         the applicant admits to a criminal conviction during the reliability check process.

5.           In addition to the circumstances described above -and-in keeping with the spirit of the security clearance pre-assessment
program, NDHQ/DG Secur/DSC (Director Security Clearance) encourages the initiation of pre-assessment requests by recruiting authorities
whenever circumstances cause reasonable doubt that an applicant will meet the basic security clearance standards for the assigned MOC.

6.           When a pre-assessment is required in accordance with paragraphs 4 or 5, the applicant shall not be enroled before the
security clearance pre-assessment is initiated and notification respecting the pre-assessment request is received from NDHQ/DG
Secur/DSC.

Hope that helps.

Damn I think I read that somewhere before, maybe earlier in the thread?

I under stand that in the ERC, they confirm employment information.

Cna anyone tell me how exactly they do that. Do they call my employer?

army_paralegal said:
I under stand that in the ERC, they confirm employment information.

Cna anyone tell me how exactly they do that. Do they call my employer?

We may if we have any suspicions about your reliability.  However, we do this only if absolutely necessary as we don't want get anyone in trouble at work because they haven't told their employers about their application.

The recruiter needs the Questionnaire, Personnel Security Assessment form for the QYR.

The form I currently have is labeled TBS/SCT 330-23E, which I assume is similar to the above form.

Do I have the right form? Are they the same form?

Personnel Screening, Consent and Authorization Form (TBS/SCT 330-23e) is the form you need to fill out with your addresses, birth date, names, etc.

The form has changed since the brochure was released.  Are you speaking of the black QYR brochure or the Recruiting Centre "Strong and Proud" one?

That's good news for me!! Since they do the pre-security check, hope this is also true for this check. My boss would kick me out of my job, he's anti-military to the bone. So I keep it quiet, really quiet.

On one of the required sheets for recruiting, they ask for home addresses for the last ten years.

On that section, I list my last home address for ten years ago. The problem is, on the postal code, I got JUST ONE (The very last digit) of the postal code digits wrong.

My question is, is that a Problem because I just handed in my application.

I'd say inform the recruiting center of your error as soon as possible and make the proper amendments, no harm in that is there?

Also, just in case you need it for future reference you can go to the Canada Post website to search for old postal codes, came in handy when i filled in my app before sending it off. http://www.canadapost.com/

cheers.

I wouldn't worry about it. For one thing, that isnt used for your Enhanced Reliability, and they are just checking in the database against stuff already recorded anyway.

Just curious, How are they conducted exactly?

What is the procedure they go through?

I just handed in my application yesterday at the Fort York armoury and am just waiting for a testing date.

Also, for the interview stage, any advice?

army_paralegal said:
On one of the required sheets for recruiting, they ask for home addresses for the last ten years.

On that section, I list my last home address for ten years ago. The problem is, on the postal code, I got JUST ONE (The very last digit) of the postal code digits wrong.

My question is, is that a Problem because I just handed in my application.

They need the correct postal code of your current address to submit the background check.

Depending on the position applied for they check previous asscociates and human reliability factors.

CrashBear said:
Depending on the position applied for they check previous asscociates and human reliability factors.

The enhanced reliability check is the same for every applicant. Criminal and credit checks.  Confirmation of education, birth, references, addresses and employment.

Perhaps you are referring to the extra reference checks we have to do for CIC applicants?

Back