• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineering Questions...

Max Springfield

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking join the Canadian Forces as a Combat Engineer. Intend to spend three years in the Regular Forces, then switch to the Reserve for an indefinite amount of time.

My question: If I'm in the Reserve, is there still a chance I can be part of DART (Disaster Assistance Response Team), or is that exclusive to the Regular Forces?

Also, as a Combat Engineer, are the chances for overseas deployment more likely than, say, an infanteer's? I'm eagre to get out and do some good for the world, and I'm hoping that I can (following undoubtedly grueling training) take part in the reconstruction efforts in Afghanistan or other parts of the world.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Max

Dart is  a Reg Force tasking, to meet the NTM (Notice to Move) and some other requirements.  You can, however, deploy on international operations as a Reservist - there are multiple threads on that topic around (search for 3-07, 1-08 or 3-08 for more information)

Engineers are seeing more frequent deployments than infanteers, but your particular case may vary, depending on a large number of variables, including (but not limited to) when you complete your courses, where you get posted to, what other taskings your regiment receives while you are there... in short, the only place you're guaranteed to visit in your career as a Combat Engineer is the school in Gagetown.

At the moment it does not matter which occupation you choose.  You will deploy.

If you want to deploy with DART, you will need to be regular force.  The exception might be if there are Class B positions within the standing DART organization (which is small), but I have never heard of such positions.

To that, is it possible to make it onto DART within three years? I understand the between Basic, SQ and MOC I'm looking at a year's worth of training.

Do the Forces hold annual drives to find recruits for DART, ie: rigourous testing to meet DART's requirements.

Thanks,

Max

No.

You can let your career manager know you want a posting to the DART.  However, it is very small and you may never get the posting.  Most of the troops that deploy with the DART come from the field units.  Sub-units within 2 CMBG can be given the tasks to be on-call and deploy as part of the DART (and I suppose sub-units from the other brigades could be tasked, but I don't recall seeing such a task when I was out west).

MCG, you mentioned that "Most of the troops that deploy with the DART come from the field units." I'm new to CF lifestyle: fields units are what? How are they different than the rest, and why are they the preffered choice for DART? Experience?

Field unit = CER, Armd Regiment, Infantry Battalion, Field Ambulance, Service Battalion, etc.

They are the units that deploy to the field.

Well you can get posted to 2 CER and still never get on the DART. When the DART is call out the unit has a list of who is on it but you will never know when it will be called so the unit will recall the members on the fan out and if you are around for it you might go and if you have the courses that will be in demand ie Water supply, Hy eqpt. I have been on the list lots of times. Missed the last one they took the alternate members before me I was the Primary and it was that they lived closer to the base while on leave. Just say I was pissed. And I will never see it I'm posted this year.

CHIMO

Hi Max

One other thing to consider, is currently the initial engagement for engineers is 5 years so that puts a bit of a kink in your plans that you posted above.

As for the time in before you are deployed over seas it will have taken me just under 2 years signing my contract to getting on a plane to go overseas. 

Cheers

Max,

In the last two years, the DP1 Trade training (TQ3 to the old farts) has been streamlined.  Though the Reservist gets his training over two summers, the Reg gets "his" in one continuous course... so, excluding practical application of their trade & day to day experience, Reservists and Regs are on an relatively equal footing.

Trying to fathom what you are interested in doing / trying to accomplish - by being a Regular Sapper for a minimum engagement and a Reserve Sapper for an indeterminate engagement thereafter.

Care to elaborate?

Back