• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electronic-Optronic Technician ( EO Tech )

I did a site search and looked through both the Comm Elec thread and the Combat Service Supt thread with no mention of my second trade choice.

I was basically looking to talk with a Electronic-Optronic Technician - Land and see what their personal experiences are and how they like the trade. I am a very computer orientated person and managed to fix my own a few times and xbox etc. I know the trade is more in depth then that but the forces site still leaves some grey areas.

Any help would be appriciated!

**I posted this in the wrong thread. It should probably be under the Comm/Elect thread**

Thanks! I searched EO Tech and got too many results, threads that had the word Tech in them and the vowels E and O and I went through them but it doesn't surprise me I missed it. Two of those threads are over a year old so they were buried deep. When I fired in the actual trade name I only had one result and it was listed as a "open trade" with no other info attached. Am I not using the search engine properly?

Again, thank you for your help.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/reo-oer/details-renseignements.aspx?positionnumber=O-9917
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/reo-oer/all-tous.aspx
is you search 000327 EO tech you will get these 2 listed.

O-10080 - EO TECHNICIAN (MATA/PATA)

Employer: 5 Service Battalion
Rank Requirements:  Cpl / Cpl
Language:  French essential
MOSID:  00327-01 - EO TECH (LAND) Status: Open
Start Date: 07-Jan-2013
Employment Class:  Class B Temporary
O-9917 - EO TECH - MATA/PATA Backfill for posn # 43371

Employer: 2 Service Battalion
Rank Requirements:  Cpl / Cpl
Language:  English essential
MOSID:  00327-02 - EO TECH (LAND) - JR Status: Open
Start Date: 07-Jan-2013
Employment Class:  Class B Temporary

Hi forum members. I'm considering submitting an application to enlist as an EO Tech. I've read over the forums fairly well but it would sure be nice to talk briefly with an actual EO tech and maybe get some advice.  I'm curious about specific areas of mathematics I should be brushing up on since I am admittedly quite rusty, but also I would love to know more about what it takes to be a great EO tech and what traps to watch out for during the career path. 

A pretty open inquiry I admit, I'm really just looking to here from the guys or gals that were once in my shoes (a bored civilian who's curious what's behind the green door).

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm starting to understand the job thanks to this forum.  I guess what I would like to know specifically is what critical areas of math should I be engraining into my head in order to prepare me for real world electronic problem solving.  I understand that the job means you are a soldier first and foremost, so my poor cardio is getting an overhaul now that I've started running and training, but if there is something education related that would really help me during P.O.E.T. (other than keep quiet and listen to what you are told because they will teach you all you need to know) I would appreciate any advice to help me be a good student of the trade. 

Also do you work with other branches often? Perhaps on board a ship or at an airbase?

No rush for reply, I'll just be jogging and getting my stuff squared away for the next while so I've got time.  (I don want to enlist without being in great shape otherwise I might waste taxpayers money on injury or slow my classmates down. 

Thanks,
Scott

Addition to above post : Regarding mathematics, please kindly forget I asked.  It was mostly just nervousness stemming from the big leap of changing careers / manning up I'm working towards.  A simple YouTube search in addition to researching the forums has yielded me more course material than I could ever hope for.  Study I shall :)

I still would love to know if you are often tasked in naval or air side environments, as although I am aware this is an army trade and the CF has no interest in my sight seeing preferences, the sheer amount of cutting edge electronics packed into a ship or aircraft has always been a 'wow' for me and keeps me humbly impressed every time I see it result in a roaring take-off or a detailed map of the ocean floor.  I guess I could summarize better by asking : "are you often helping other trades in other environments, or is there more then enough land based equipment in the 90+ page manual that needs attention and land duties are often back logged as is?"

Also I heard there is quite a bit of driving in this trade... I'm guessing CF pickup truck and a toolbox & parts commuting from gig to gig type of thing? I don't know much about the vehicles the CF uses yet so I'm curious what, if anything, you are asked to drive from time to time. 

I guess lastly, do you mind sharing a brief highlight or two of the job... I'm just curious about some of the more enjoyable aspects of the trade. I get it is hard work, but every once and a while something impresses you and boosts morale more than a day off golfing if you know what I mean. I currently work in sound and lighting and despite some difficult circumstances some stuff is just 'awesome' despite the grit and grime of making the job happen.  Good example would be the roar of the crowd at the Olympics I'm Vancouver when Canada won gold in men's hockey.... Deafening but very high on the coolness factor even though it took incredible man hours to pull off.  Or painstaking months off work later, the C.N. Tower sure does look awesome with the light on it.  How about you?  Fixing a water pump for someone?  Helping a satellite communicate with a lav?  Seeing the stoked faces of the guys when their NVG are back in working order after dust wreaks havoc on the optics?

I'm just curious about some positive experiences of the job that if I'm lucky enough I can look forward to.

Thanks for your time regardless of if you are able to reply. 
Also thanks to the forum admin, as this site has been an extremely useful resource for information for me and countless other potential recruits.

Hey all. I would like to ask someone that is currently at Borden either waiting for his course(s) for eo tech.
I would like to know what are the courses needed in order to be qualified. I know there is the common eme training but I heard there was no POET anymore.
How long is the ql3? I manage to find some kind of website on dwan that was showing course's dates and you could see courses beginning approximatly each 9 months! Is that what it is right now ?
I heard a rumor too that they included a part of POET in the ql3.

Any other info you can give me on this trade would be really appreciated! Thanks

Jonathan.

Hey, the EO DP1 course is about 9 months, there is no more POET for EO techs as it is integrated into the DP1 package.

After DP1 is an 18 month OJT portion followed by a DP2 course which is 5ish months

At then end of all that, you are qualified. Usually takes the better part of 4 years to complete everything.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM, ive been an EO tech for over 10 years and recently did some instructing at the school

Great that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
I will sure leave you a pm if I have an other question

Does anyone know when new Privates (graduated BMQ May 2014) will begin technical training for EO tech in Kingston? My husband is in BMQ and still has to do SQ when Basic is done and I am looking to see when his technical training will begin in Kingston and/or Borden. Don't know where to call or ask.

gustof said:
Does anyone know when new Privates (graduated BMQ May 2014) will begin technical training for EO tech in Kingston? My husband is in BMQ and still has to do SQ when Basic is done and I am looking to see when his technical training will begin in Kingston and/or Borden. Don't know where to call or ask.

Around 90% guarantee that nobody knows at this point.  The EO/FCS training world is changing right now with the removal of the POET course from DP1.

I can tell you that he will need SQ, CET, and CETT courses before going on his QL3 course.  EO-tech training takes a very long time.

CombatMacguyver said:
I can tell you that he will need SQ, CET, and CETT courses before going on his QL3 course.  EO-tech training takes a very long time.

Could you please educate this civi on the meaning behind the abbreviations :

CET
CETT

I'm guessing 'Common Element Training'? I'm way clueless here sorry lol.  I guess something do with electronics would be more likely considering they are replacing POET...

I checked the CF abbreviations thread but didn't see it - may have missed it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Common EME Training for CET. CETT is the part where you learn to work with tools and plans but I'm not sure of the right words. Those two courses last less than 2 months.

Does someone have any insight on where the FET/POET is now for EO Techs? i have heard that it is all now being done in Borden.... as well as that EO Techs still do the FET in Kingston. My wife will be attending courses this fall and i would like to know where it will be.

I know as an EO Tech we maintain and repair scopes, weapon systems etc... But if on patrol and everything is a go are we just infantry until something breaks them we fix it? Or is it only in self defence?

I'm just an applicant to the trade, so I can only provide a half cocked answer, but my limited understanding is 'EO Tech's go where the troops go.'  Also, whatever the trade, especially in the Army I've heard it repeated 'soldier first, trade second.'

See this thread and it's related for more details : https://army.ca/forums/threads/91258

Back