• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Brant County (South Western Ontario) farmer and retired civil servant, John Langs, expresses his political views with a tractor:

1297745595691_ORIGINAL.jpg

Source: http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2015/09/07/oct-19-federal-election-farm-field-yields-political-message

Mr Langs, according to the article at the source, "is a former regional vice-president of the Syndicat Agriculture Union, which is part of the Public Service Alliance of Canada."

milnews.ca said:
Here's the party's defence platforms, from the parties themselves:
Enjoy!

Colour me unimpressed by any of their platforms.

I don't trust the first one.
The other two are full of criticism about the first one without offering real alternatives.
And I didn't really read the last one because it would waste my time.

As mentioned before, defence isn't a top issue this election so the electorate won't care.  None of them are inspiring me to vote their way on this issue. Defence will go into my undecided column for now until I see something substantial. 

E.R. Campbell said:
More on that pol in a report in the Globe and Mail which says that, "The Nanos survey conducted for The Globe and Mail and CTV News suggests many Canadians switched their voting intentions in recent days. The three-day sample puts support for the NDP at 32.7 per cent nationally (up 2.3 percentage points from a week ago), followed by the Liberals at 30.8 per cent (up 0.6 percentage points). Support for the Conservatives has slipped to 26.2 per cent (a 2.3-percentage-point drop) ... [and] ... With six weeks remaining until the Oct. 19 vote, Labour Day marked the start of heightened campaigning by political parties. Long weekends are considered to be key moments during election campaigns because friends and family come together to discuss politics, which can influence voting intentions."

To me, this should be concerning to the incumbent CPC - far more than the surge in the NDP.  I am speculating, but there are probably many voters who were planning to vote Conservative because they wouldn't vote NDP, but wouldn't feel bad about voting Liberal as opposed to Conservative now that some polls indicate that Trudeau may have a shot.  Blue to Red is probably easier to find than Blue to Orange.

Infanteer said:
To me, this should be concerning to the incumbent CPC - far more than the surge in the NDP.  I am speculating, but there are probably many voters who were planning to vote Conservative because they wouldn't vote NDP, but wouldn't feel bad about voting Liberal as opposed to Conservative now that some polls indicate that Trudeau may have a shot.  Blue to Red is probably easier to find than Blue to Orange.

Ding, ding, ding.

Infanteer said:

I suspect that as more polls come in this week that it will show a similar trend.  The CPC have been knocked off message every week so far and I suspect they will be knocked off message again.  I think that the Liberals have managed to claw their way back into contention despite the effectivelness of the attack ads and have taken support from those conservatives that might feel they can't support their party this time around.

I suspect we'll see a ramping up of ads and what not but it seems that the NDP and the Liberals have been holding back their ads, not falling for the early/long campaign trick of trying to bleed them. 

Things are about to get messy and dirty.

Both the NDP and LPC have done well to weather the attack ad storm while keeping their powder dry.

Trudeau has done well to not be squeezed out and remain relevant and mulcair has done well to keep up the momentum as the frontrunner.

Harper is doing well considering the daily barrage he's going through from every conceivable layer of media there is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html

Well, CBC's poll tracker is showing a decline for the CPC and momentum for the LPC.  It seems, as pointed by Eric Grenier, that the CPC is losing ground in Ontario and the Liberals are gaining there.  If Ontario is the Key to 24 Sussex, then something will have to be done in this province.  I expect a lot more campaigning in Ontario in the next few weeks.

(i alos expect a lot of third party activity in ontario as well... :( )

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from TVO's Steve Pakin's Blog is a very good article:

http://tvo.org/blog/current-affairs/would-stephen-harper-really-give-up-power-even-if-he-doesnt-win-the-most-seats

My emphasis added
140px-TVO_Logo.svg.png

Would Stephen Harper really give up power even if he doesn't win the most seats?

Steve Paikin

Published on Sep 08, 2015

Much of the focus from Peter Mansbridge’s interview with Stephen Harper last night has focused on what the prime minister had to say about the Duffy-Wright affair.

So I won’t retread on that ground.

Instead, I want to focus on the last thing the two talked about. Mansbridge’s question was clear: if Canadians return a minority parliament to Ottawa on October 19, should only the party with the most seats form the government?

Harper’s answer was fascinating because it was plain and simply wrong.

“My position has always been, if I win the most seats, I expect to form the government and if I don’t, I won’t,” Harper told the CBC’s chief correspondent.

Mansbridge appropriately followed up with this scenario: what if the Conservatives are in second place, but they’re only one or two seats behind the first place party. Would Harper really not try to retain power with the cooperation of a third or fourth place party?

Again, Harper’s answer revealed what I presume is a purposeful misunderstanding of how our system works.

“We don’t elect a bunch of parties who then get together and see who will govern. We ask people to make a choice of a government. And so I think the party that wins the most seats should form the government.”

Regardless of what Harper thinks, that is not our system. We don’t elect governments. We do elect Parliaments.

In fact, we do elect a bunch of parties to Parliament, and then whichever one can command the confidence of the House gets to govern. That’s why Harper remained prime minister and the Conservatives remained the government through five years of minority rule, despite the fact that there were Liberal, NDP, Green, and Bloc Quebecois members in the House. We elected a “bunch of parties,” but only Harper’s Conservatives could command the confidence of the House (meaning, win votes to pass legislation).

There are numerous examples from our Canadian and Commonwealth history where the party with the largest number of seats didn’t form the government. The most prominent happened 30 years ago in Ontario: Frank Miller’s Progressive Conservatives won 52 seats, and the Liberals’ David Peterson won 48. But the NDP, under Bob Rae, decided to back Peterson. So Peterson, despite coming second, eventually formed the government after the 1985 election because he could command the confidence of the Ontario Legislature. There’s another Canadian example as well: Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King managed to form a government in 1925 despite having 15 fewer seats than the Conservatives under Arthur Meighen. It's true King's government didn't last very long. But the point is he was legally and constitutionally within his rights to govern despite lacking the most seats.

Harper did say something else last night that was also inaccurate: “You have to have the most seats in Parliament to go to the governor general.”  Justin Trudeau says the same thing in his interview with Mansbridge, airing tonight.

“That's the way it's always been, whoever commands the most seats gets the first shot at governing," Trudeau says. 

They’re both wrong.
Our conventions do hold that even if he were to come second in a minority parliament, Harper would still be the prime minister (until defeated in the House), and as such, would have the exclusive right to visit the governor general and advise him on his plans. If one of the other parties were to win a majority government, then Harper’s continuing to govern would be impossible, because he couldn’t command the confidence of the House. He would tell the GG to call on whoever had the most seats to form the next government, and the GG would take that advice.

But here’s another scenario: What if Harper were only one or two seats behind the first place party, which only had the largest plurality (but not majority) of seats in the House? If the NDP were to win 124 seats, the Conservatives 122, the Liberals 90, and the Greens 2, is Harper really  saying he would advise the GG to call on Thomas Mulcair to form a government? Or would he spend at least a little time trying to determine whether he could continue to govern with the support of another party? And given the antipathy between the Liberals and New Democrats, who’s to say he couldn’t actually do it?  It might be more advantageous for Justin Trudeau to keep Harper as PM than let Mulcair take the job. After all, when Bob Rae made David Peterson the premier, two years later the electorate gave all the credit to the Liberals and with it a massive majority government. No doubt, Trudeau knows the junior party in these arrangements tends to be punished during the ensuing election. Just ask the Liberal-Democrats in the U.K.

Harper’s personal view on all of this was made clear in the Mansbridge interview last night. His view may not be correct, but it is his view. The question is: based on his track record of proroguing Parliament twice to avoid defeat and losing power, who thinks Harper would willingly give up the government if he finds himself one or two seats behind the first-place party on October 19?

Anyone?

Good question, Steve.

- mod edit to clean up article link -

One of the advantages of our system of unwritten convention is that they flex with the times and change.  If all the major parties are saying the party with the most seats gets the first crack and not the incumbant, then the convention has changed.  So, saying "wrong" may not actually be accurate - after all, the conventions are unwritten....

I don't think the electorate would forgive the party who allowed Steven Harper to remain prime minister,  no matter how long.

I honestly believe that if harper came in first by a few seats the opposition would defeat him at the first possible opportunity.

A lot of the support the NDP and LPC have at the moment is coming from those wanting change.

Whoever supported harper couldn't be the agent of change if they propped up another harper government and would be trounced in the next election.

Infanteer said:
One of the advantages of our system of unwritten convention is that they flex with the times and change.  If all the major parties are saying the party with the most seats gets the first crack and not the incumbent, then the convention has changed. 
I think the narrative that Canadian's elect governments is being taken deliberately because that is a narrative which gives powers to parties over parliamentarians ... It is a narrative that is in the interest of party dynasties, and it is part of our "game of thrones."

Altair said:
Whoever supported harper couldn't be the agent of change if they propped up another harper government and would be trounced in the next election.
Actually, whoever props the Harper government in such a scenario would have a lot of leverage to get concessions out of that government. So, they could be the agent of change.

Altair said:
I honestly believe that if harper came in first by a few seats the opposition would defeat him at the first possible opportunity.

And cause us another 8 week election campaign? You underestimate Canadians ability to tolerate 2 back to back elections. What is the NDP going to do? Vote down a balanced budget? Liberals already ruled out a coalition publically, so its likely the GG isn't going to side with a coalition.

If there's a Tory minority, it'll last 2 years until the Opposition has licked its wounds and decided to try again.

Altair said:
I don't think the electorate would forgive the party who allowed Steven Harper to remain prime minister,  no matter how long.

A lot of the support the NDP and LPC have at the moment is coming from those wanting change.

But what if they, both the Liberals and the NDP, had spent damned near every last dime on this election, but the CPC still had tens of millions in the bank ~ enough to fight another, snap election campaign? Should they, the Liberals and NDP, defeat Harper, possibly forcing an election they cannot afford? And, see Infanteer's comment above. The unwritten "rules" say that the GG should, if a government is defeated very quickly, call on the Leader of the Opposition to try to form a government that can secure the confidence of the HoC, but some constitutional scholars suggest that the King-Byng Thing (1926) may have changed the "rules" and the if/when the PM asks for another election the GG must agree ... by convention.

So, if you are Justin Trudeau, leader of the third party in the HoC, and your party in, essentially broke, do you defeat Prime Minister Harper and fight an election for which you cannot pay? Or do you keep him in power while you refill your party's campaign "war chest?"

MCG said:
I think the narrative that Canadian's elect governments is being taken deliberately because that is a narrative which gives powers to parties over parliamentarians ... It is a narrative that is in the interest of party dynasties, and it is part of our "game of thrones."
Actually, whoever props the Harper government in such a scenario would have a lot of leverage to get concessions out of that government. So, they could be the agent of change.
I can see the opposition party lumping whoever supported harper in with harper.

Think the ruckus of the liberals supporting c-51 and put it on steroids. The conservatives didn't even need the liberal support to pass it and the NDP nailed the LPC to the wall on that issue. Liberal support started dropping off around that time and has only recently started to tick upwards.

I doubt any party risks public backlash by propping up the CPC

E.R. Campbell said:
But what if they, both the Liberals and the NDP, had spent damned near every last dime on this election, but the CPC still had tens of millions in the bank ~ enough to fight another, snap election campaign? Should they, the Liberals and NDP, defeat Harper, possibly forcing an election they cannot afford? And, see Infanteer's comment above. The unwritten "rules" say that the GG should, if a government is defeated very quickly, call on the Leader of the Opposition to try to form a government that can secure the confidence of the HoC, but some constitutional scholars suggest that the King-Byng Thing (1926) may have changed the "rules" and the if/when the PM asks for another election the GG must agree ... by convention.

So, if you are Justin Trudeau, leader of the third party in the HoC, and your party in, essentially broke, do you defeat Prime Minister Harper and fight an election for which you cannot pay? Or do you keep him in power while you refill your party's campaign "war chest?"
He had better go for broke.

I remember the last time the liberals were in money problems and they would support the Harper minority by voting with it or abstaining from votes. The next election they were dumped to third.

Now while that wasn't the only reason, the optics of wanting to the force for change while supporting the goverment is bad.

Infanteer said:
One of the advantages of our system of unwritten convention is that they flex with the times and change.  If all the major parties are saying the party with the most seats gets the first crack and not the incumbant, then the convention has changed.  So, saying "wrong" may not actually be accurate - after all, the conventions are unwritten....

And one can only imagine the screams of outrage if the Prime Minister had given the "right" answer, or continued to remain as Prime Minister in a minority situation with the support of another party. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of question, and the fact that the Prime Minister is laying the "ground rules" clearly should make things better all around when the smoke clears in October (and probably 18 months after that....)

Altair said:
I honestly believe that if the Conservative Party of Canada came in first by a few seats the opposition would defeat it at the first possible opportunity.
I disagree.  The Liberal Party and the NDP are both strapped for cash and cannot afford another general election in such a short period of time.  As MCG noted: the party that helped the reigning party retain power would be "King Makers".

Crantor said:
And I didn't really read the last one because it would waste my time.
I'll sum up with this snippet from their policy:

Our defence policy must reflect that Canada is fundamentally a peaceful country. We should engage in peacekeeping.

:peace:

Technoviking said:
I'll sum up with this snippet from their policy:

Our defence policy must reflect that Canada is fundamentally a peaceful country. We should engage in peacekeeping.

:peace:

Reads like something by Walter Dorn - a professor at the Canadian Forces College.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back