• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EI question for spouse after posting.

Tech227

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster.

My question is with my upcoming posting this APS my wife and I are headed to Borden and she will leave behind a well paying hospital job and will be on EI for the first time. Is there any allowances for spouses that are forced to leave a job due to there husband being posted? There must be quite a few people in the same boat as us each APS? Were wondering first if she's even entitled to benefits and if so how many weeks?

Any info would be great,

Phone ET  er....EI. They would know better than most....

I recall talking to someone who went through this and remember one snag to keep in mind.  Quitting because you had to move for a spouse's employment entitles you to EI, but if you quit too soon, you can be denied the benefit.

this story might have been somewhere on army.ca even...someone quit early (like to help with the sale of the house and the move), and was denied benefits because EI determined that it wasn't really because of the move, she just quit for personal reasons. 

So, yeah, talk to EI before making anything official.  She will have to quit if you're posted, regardless, but how/when is critical.

There is something on the government website regarding benefits due to this reason and such.... as I was looking into it as well as I will be on Maternity Leave when we are posted, so I wanted more info - but yeah check out the website ...www.servicecanada.gc.ca

Tech227 said:
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster.

My question is with my upcoming posting this APS my wife and I are headed to Borden and she will leave behind a well paying hospital job and will be on EI for the first time. Is there any allowances for spouses that are forced to leave a job due to there husband being posted? There must be quite a few people in the same boat as us each APS? Were wondering first if she's even entitled to benefits and if so how many weeks?

Any info would be great,

I am in the same boat as you. The advisor at sisip was the one who told me that my wife can claim EI and he was pretty positive. We looked into it and it seems she is entitled. We are applying in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know how it goes.

If entitled, she would receive 55% percent of her earnings up to a maximum of 501 a week for 14 to 45 weeks. Info on how this is calculated can be found here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/regular.shtml#calculate

Based on the above and the fact that the Barrie region has an unemployment rate of 7.3 (as of 1 Jan 13) if you wife worked a stand 40 hour week with 2 weeks holidays in the last 52 weeks. she would be entitled to 36 weeks EI at 55% of here average weekly earnings.

Tcm621 said:
Based on the above and the fact that the Barrie region has an unemployment rate of 7.3 (as of 1 Jan 13) if you wife worked a stand 40 hour week with 2 weeks holidays in the last 52 weeks. she would be entitled to 36 weeks EI at 55% of here average weekly earnings.

Make sure she can prove she looked for work during the wait period....that is where most get tripped up.

It's not a problem, my wife has had to do it three times.  You just tick off the I left because my husband had to move for employment box, go into the penalty box and when you come out $$ gets deposited.

Now saying that, all the other regs & rules apply wrt having to look for work etc.. while on EI.  But my wife never had a problem claiming it. 

Back