• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Eddie Bauer Rememberance Day Sale - enraging bad taste or so-what?

Whereas I thought it was insulting to those street-corner 'ho's  ;D

Journeyman said:
Whereas I thought it was insulting to those street-corner 'ho's  ;D
Whoa, whoa, whoa!  If they be dissin' da hos......

;D

... and another army.ca topic spirals down into Radio Chatter...

On the topic of bad taste, Christmas, Remembrance Day, and consumerist-driven retail industry: I have always hated the flooding of Christmas decorations & promotions that pour into stores and television ads right after Halloween.  I don't think Remembrance Day should be used as a commercial sales gimmick, but I have always thought it disrespectful that it be overwhelmed by messaging for the commercial Christmas (which has little to do with the real Christmas).  Can't the shopping malls just take a neutral autumn theme until mid-month?

Found this on the EB Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/eddie-bauer/remembrance-day-response/158426524198964

We appreciate the feedback we’ve been getting from our Canadian customers about Remembrance Day. We are sensitive to this matter and have adjusted our marketing and communication accordingly. We regret any offense that may have been taken to our sale.

By way of background, every year in the U.S. we join other American retailers in holding a Veterans Day Sale. This year we wanted to extend similar sale offers to our Canadian customers. However, please be assured we will no longer market this promotion as a Remembrance Day sale.

Thank you for your feedback around this event.

Neil Fiske

President & CEO

Eddie Bauer

This seems to be a case of EB's ignorance of the differences between the US Veterans Day and our Rememberance Day, and not a case of them just ignoring the obvious bad taste in search of some dollars.

I think we can call off the dogs, or no?

Maybe they could collect all the taxes generated from sales on November 11th
and transfer it to the veterans.
Perhaps by dropping it into the Poppy Fund. 8)

Technoviking might have a point...we can p!$$ and moan all we want,it probably won't change the outcome. They are all valid and honourable reasons for the displeasure we all feel about thie issue,but at the end of the day it is all for naught. Brothers and sisters in arms,we are a minority in the grand scheme of things. On Rememberance Day, attend, and reflect, and have a drink or two for our loved and lost. I know I will. Ubique.

In other news, Wal-Mart announced today that on April 20th 2011 it will launch it's first annual Columbine Day Sale.  All AR variant rifles are %30 off, first 80 customers to buy more than 1000 rounds in any calibre get a free camouflage hoodie.

Kat Stevens said:
In other news, Wal-Mart announced today that on April 20th 2011 it will launch it's first annual Columbine Day Sale.  All AR variant rifles are %30 off, first 80 customers to buy more than 1000 rounds in any calibre get a free camouflage hoodie.
:whiteflag:  I thought my Dec 6th ref was bad; nothing like a Vet schoolin a newbie.

They recovered reasonably well - it does appear that this was a classic case of a business misreading cultural differences in its markets.  Their apology seems reasonable, fortunately they won't be stupid enough to do it again.

(My ex-RSM suggested I might only be angry about it because I couldn't find anything at the sale)

Redeye said:
(My ex-RSM suggested I might only be angry about it because I couldn't find anything at the sale)

One thing for sure, their sale got a lot of free advertising.

I feel it would be just as disgusting as having a SALE on December 7th...just as crase and of low taste.~~~

Lest WE Forget, ALWAYS... :salute:    :cdn: 

BYT Driver said:
I feel it would be just as disgusting as having a SALE on December 7th...just as crase and of low taste.~~~

December 7th is not a holiday.
But, Memorial Day is: "Honors the nation's war dead from the Civil War onwards.":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Edit to add:
"Rethinking Memorial Day. Let's Not Forget What It Means And The True Costs.":
http://mootee.typepad.com/innovation_playground/2010/05/rethinking-memorial-day-lets-not-forget-what-it-means.html
"For those Americans that are shopping happily in malls today, I am afraid you’ve forgotten what this day is for."

Google: "Memorial Day Sale".

BYT Driver said:

Our American friends are different from us; they are able, I guess to keep their personal memorializing and remembering separate from their "shop 'til you drop" urges.

The Willow park Wine and Spirit stores in Calgary also have a Remembrance Day sale...bottles of wine $1-$8, although they are quick to point out that they offer a minute of silence at 1100 to "Remember our Veterans". I've seen facebook pictures of this year's event...over 200 people lined up outside the store....lawnchairs in the parking lot before sun up. Sad.

E.R. Campbell said:
Our American friends are different from us; they are able, I guess to keep their personal memorializing and remembering separate from their "shop 'til you drop" urges.

They also, if I understand it correctly, celebrate their living veterans on Nov 11th, which, as ERC pointed out in another thread, is not the same as our remembrance of our war dead on Nov 11th.  I read a FB comment from a recent US vet about this topic - he said something to the effect of "go ahead and shop, watch the game, have a cookout, etc...these are the freedoms we fought/are fighting to preserve.

I thought it made a certain amount of sense, at least as far as Memorial Day goes.

Sears also took some flak a couple of years ago:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sears-remembrance-day-sale-tuesday-nov-11-outrage-inspired-update-658316/
http://www.majumdar.org/shopping/sears-canada-remembrance-day-sale-lest-we-forget-our-bottom-line/

Back