• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drivers Liscence!?

lucasbutts

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search on drivers licence's and could only find one relevant topic that was also locked and not active in the last 5 years, SO i decided to make my own topic. (sorry) Im just unable to figure out what the deal is with getting your liscence.... I live in british columbia and currently only have my class 7 (L or Learners) and was wondering if i can get the rest through the military (roadtest)?
I heard something about 403's where you can get a military liscence and drive military vehicles but it deos not permit you in any way to drive a civilian insured car?

...and yes i realize im a fool and spelled licence wrong on the topic title...  :crybaby:

DND 404'S will not allow you to drive civilian vehicles unless they are rented by DND.

So my  :2c: is that you go and get your full license so you can drive a personal car.

lucasbutts said:
and was wondering if i can get the rest through the military (roadtest)?

No. You are on your own with that.

In some provinces, having 404s will shorten the period between doing your written test and your road test.

alright thanks alot for the replies. I just found out that i cant book a road test prior to my departure to st.jean because its full... and my liscence is going to expire before im finished my BMQ....
Will not having a civvie licence hurt me at all? (besides not being able to drive civvie cars on the weekends off?)

no.gif

You know........Some days you should just ask your parents these things.

lucasbutts said:
Will not having a civvie licence hurt me at all? (besides not being able to drive civvie cars on the weekends off?)

Did you see "Valid civillian driver's permit" listed as a requirement on your CF application ?

::)

My  :2c:
Having a valid licence is always a good idea, the younger, the better. Even if you do not require one for business or pleasure. That way your driver's abstract shows you have experience, and no accidents or tickets. It will help your insurance premiums, and if you intend to drive for a living on civvy street.

When I went for my N they didn't have any available opening in Langley, so I went all the way out to Chilliwack.  If you are that desperate go to Burnaby or Surrey or something.  May suck getting out there, but if you're that desperate...

I wouldn't worry too much about getting it before BMQ.  Many car rental places won't rent to people under 25 years old, and if they do, you're charged a load of insurance.

lucasbutts said:
...and yes i realize im a fool and spelled licence wrong on the topic title...  :crybaby:

.........then you continue to post and continue to spell it wrong. Couple of things. You can use 'Spell Check' before you hit Post. You can use a dictionary. Once you identify a fault, correct it. Lastly, you can't have one if you can't spell it. (OK, not true, but it will be when I become King of Canada)

I suggest you wrap this one up, before it gets locked also.

Milnet.ca Staff

Does anyone know if there are provinces left that don't have a graduated licensing system?

I've never had any reason or desire to drive, so the complicated, costly, and lengthy system here in Ontario has put me off completely (I did my first written test simply to have the ID), but it'd be tempting to get it somewhere else if I can avoid the hassle.

stewacide said:
Does anyone know if there are provinces left that don't have a graduated licensing system?

I've never had any reason or desire to drive, so the complicated, costly, and lengthy system here in Ontario has put me off completely (I did my first written test simply to have the ID), but it'd be tempting to get it somewhere else if I can avoid the hassle.

So you plan on moving permanently to another province?  Have you told your parents yet?

George Wallace said:
So you plan on moving permanently to another province?  Have you told your parents yet?

I'm going to be in the military, so I don't know where I'll be. Once you get your full license anywhere you can transfer it AFAIK.

My brother did one better: he moved from Ontario to Alberta years ago with his G2 (a step below full license), and when he visited the licensing bureau there they exchanged that for a full Alberta license (he could swap that for a full Ontario license now if he wanted to).

stewacide said:
I'm going to be in the military, so I don't know where I'll be. Once you get your full license anywhere you can transfer it AFAIK.

My brother did one better: he moved from Ontario to Alberta years ago with his G2 (a step below full license), and when he visited the licensing bureau there they exchanged that for a full Alberta license (he could swap that for a full Ontario license now if he wanted to).

::)

Good for your brother.  Now back to you.  Are you planning on becoming a permanent resident of another province?  You can't get a licence unless you are a resident of the province that issues it. 

Do you understand this?

Does having or not having a civilian drivers license effect any aspect of obtaining your 404..?

What about tickets/suspensions, how do they effect (if at all) you driving military vehicles..?

???

Yes, not having a civilian drivers license can affect you when trying to get 404's. We are suppose to teach forklift on our QL-3 course but have been unable to due to the number of students that do not have full drivers licenses. Transport will not issue learner permits to pers who have not completed the graduated license program and have achieve their full license.

I find this strange, since it states on the back of my 404's that Military drivers do not require a provincial drivers lincence to operate DND owned and leased vehicles on public roads in Canada. I am not aware of all the details why transport will not issue the temp 404's as someone higher in the food chain is working on the problem.

Back