• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the Army have divers?

• Thread starter Thread starter N-A
  • Start date Start date
N

N-A

I am a certified Master Scuba Diver Trainer looking for a career in the military. I know the US army has divers but I can't find any info in regards to the Canadian Army.

The engineers have divers as part of their organization.  But this is not a trade, just a task/job within an engineer regiment.  The navy on the other hand has Clearance divers, and they are a trade/MOC onto themselves.

Although you have to remuster into the clearance diver trade, its not a direct entry. The navy also has ships team divers which can be any trade but its a secondary duty.

Horrors!   >:D We do have divers and as a matter of fact I just updated the Army Diver Site last night

See http://www.donlowconcrete.com/CDAC and be sure and click onto Ex Salty Sapper

Awesome site Lagou, keep up the good work! It's nice to see information on some of the lesser known trades in the Forces.... hell even primary MOC's have very little in terms of writeups on the DND page.
Thanks

logau said:
Horrors!   >:D We do have divers and as a matter of fact I just updated the Army Diver Site last night

See http://www.donlowconcrete.com/CDAC and be sure and click onto Ex Salty Sapper

Nice site indeed.

Is being a diver your main job or is it just something you do on the side?

I used to work with these guys so we set it up for fun and profit.

My reserve unit won 4 trips to the UK with the unit site I made at http://www.donlowconcrete/44

Enjoy!   ::)

As mentioned above, Cbt diver is a sub specialty of the Cbt Engineers (moc 043).
At 2 CER in Petawawa, the diver wanna be's undergo a grueling diver prelim course just to prove to the unit that they are fit and able to undergo the Cbt diver course at the FDU and also in Gagetown.

Also, Cbt divers work in thier sections and troops like everyone else until they are tasked by the CER CO to complete a dive task. The Dive team is then assemble and completes thier tasks. Then they return back to the sapper work with thier troops.

Here is another link for some talk of what they do: Combat Divers

Ex-Dragoon said:
Although you have to remuster into the clearance diver trade, its not a direct entry. The navy also has ships team divers which can be any trade but its a secondary duty.
I know one Engineer that is a Ship's Diver.  He cannot do combat diver task though as he does not hold that qualification.

There is a link for a combat diver article on the Army News site.   http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/english/6_1.asp?FlashEnabled=1&

McG said:
Here is another link for some talk of what they do: Combat Divers

I know one Engineer that is a Ship's Diver.   He cannot do combat diver task though as he does not hold that qualification.

Is he a combat engineer or an engineer from a ship?

If you ever have the chance to check out the Canadian War Museum, they usually have exhibits set up. If I remember correctly... last year they had a Combat Diving display set up. Pretty cool stuff.

I, too, have been looking into the diver thing.
I'm an avid swimmer and I think Combat Diving would be TOTALLY sweet.

Cheers,
Lex

Let me correct you on the last post,

diving as part of your job is sweet,

What combat divers do, can be at times anything but sweet...For example, do you like being really cold and really wet and extremely tired and still have to be 100% alert because you are the standby diver onboard the support boat for a cbt dive task?

If you know the cbt divers, they will all tell you some parts of thier job truely and deeply sucks.

Ex-Dragoon said:
McG said:
I know one Engineer that is a Ship's Diver.   He cannot do combat diver task though as he does not hold that qualification.

Is he a combat engineer or an engineer from a ship?
He got onto the course while posted to a Naval Construction Troop.

i have a question about combat divers what service is it.  I found combat engineer on the army site but could not find the combat diver on the navy site could someone explain that to me and where i could find out more about this.  I am interested in joining and i am a certified diver.

Combat Divers are Army divers.  They are all Cbt Engrs.

The Navy has Ship's Divers and Clearance Divers.  Anybody can be a ships diver.  Clearance Diver is a remuster occupation and applicants must already be qualified Cbt dive or Ship's diver.

Thanks for clearing that up for me cool.  Sounds like the job i want to do i like being wet and cold and underwater. :cdn:

your Civi diver experience wont count for jack though. Military diving is a different beast altogether....

clearance diving yes, it is the military commercial divers. You will use hot water suits, surface supplied air, hard hats, and stuff like that. Combat divers, use rebreathers, so they are much more scuba than anything. Combat divers, are engineers, but under water.

Back