• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND & CSA points of contact

BorisK

Inactive
Reaction score
While I am merely an onlooking civilian at this point, my aspirations to serve the CF [application underway, CFAT on wednesday] and years later following that experience to serve another distinguished Canadian entity, the Canadian Space Agency, leads me to the following question :

Since I know the two organizations work together to some extent (Retired General Walter Natynczyk's new role as head of the CSA being one indicator) I was hoping some members of this forum would be kind enough to share some anecdotal evidence of points of contact between the two organizations.  Any stories really... Engineers co-operating on projects or sharing data, former CF members finding a home at the CSA, joint projects, shared materials / equipment...

I am genuinely curious and wondering to what extent the two organizations co-operate (to the degree that can be disclosed on this forum without harming national security).

Thanks,
Scott

BorisK said:
Since I know the two organizations work together to some extent (Retired General Walter Natynczyk's new role as head of the CSA being one indicator)

I think you're drawing a connection that isn't there.  Retired Generals find themselves in all sorts of ADM positions in government as well as executive positions in the private sector.  It's probably more attributed to business and leadership experience than it is to actual experience in the particular field of endeavour.

Occam said:
I think you're drawing a connection that isn't there.  Retired Generals find themselves in all sorts of ADM positions in government as well as executive positions in the private sector.  It's probably more attributed to business and leadership experience than it is to actual experience in the particular field of endeavour.

I am in total agreement with you that using Retired Gen. Natynczyk's appointment as head of the CSA is not a good indication of close ties between the organizations, based off the reasons you mentioned. 

That being said, I am still curious about any points of contact that members of this site may know of and wouldn't mind sharing.  I've heard of the RCMP working with the CF on tasks such as drug busts, so I am inferring that there perhaps is some interplay between the CSA and the CF to some degree as shared goals I believe could exist albeit to a limited extent ; satellites, sensors of all kinds, new material/tech research (incl. power supplies/batteries, or lightweight materials),
or even something as classical as shared airspace for testing/ research or ground space for storage. 

If no cooperation at all exists I understand as they are clearly separate organizations, but if anyone is able to share any knowledge of instances of contact I would appreciate it greatly. 

You're looking to speak with a graduate of either of the below courses. 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/international-training-programs-courses/space-operations-course.page
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/international-training-programs-courses/space-applications-course.page

BorisK said:
That being said, I am still curious about any points of contact that members of this site may know of and wouldn't mind sharing.  I've heard of the RCMP working with the CF on tasks such as drug busts, so I am inferring that there perhaps is some interplay between the CSA and the CF to some degree as shared goals I believe could exist albeit to a limited extent ; satellites, sensors of all kinds, new material/tech research (incl. power supplies/batteries, or lightweight materials),
or even something as classical as shared airspace for testing/ research or ground space for storage. 

If no cooperation at all exists I understand as they are clearly separate organizations, but if anyone is able to share any knowledge of instances of contact I would appreciate it greatly.

Can I turn this around and ask you a few questions?

1.  As an individual, are you at all involved with a relationship with your immediate biological relatives (mother, father, brothers, sisters)?

2.  Are you and your immediate family involved with any communications or relationships with your extended family (uncles, aunts, cousins)?

3.  Do you have any relationships (business or personal) with any neighbours?

4.  Do you have any friends?

5.  Do you interact in any way with people you do not know?

6.  In any of the above relationships, have you shared knowledge with or aided in any way a member of one of those relationships in a not for profit way?

7.  In any of the above relationships, have you shared recreational time or interests?

Of course relationships and interaction between various government agencies exist, just as in you have in your own personal life.  Just like you are an individual and have various relationships with family, friends and a widening range of other acquaintances' and strangers, so do government and non-government agencies.

I appreciate your point George, and I should clarify that I am inquiring about business dealings or common goals that result in on the books co-operation between the two organizations [that can be freely discussed here] and not personal relationships between members of either team.

The above  links / suggestion by Occam to speak with a graduate of one of those courses regarding some known ways the two agencies co-mingle is much appreciated and I'm sure will help me learn more on the subject. 

If anyone else has any related information I'd appreciate your sharing, but again I am not looking for sensitive info on policy & operations, just learning the land as if there is a trade or team that frequently works with the CSA I would be interested in orienting my career in that direction. 

Thanks for your time,
Scott

Back