• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

c62 isnt MLVW Im only qualified(for dvr positions) Leo dvr,avgp dvr,coyote dvr,bv-206 dvr,lsvw,milcot. I can remember going to base transport in Petawawa and they had a large poster with everyone listed.

Cripes... been so long since i've drive

a2
b1
c2
c60
c62
g16

whoops.. they're also expired....  ::)

099* said:
Thankfully I have never been in the esh. No offence to anyone,just not my ideal job for me.

I got

a1
b2
c10
c13
c21
c30
c52
c62                      Not many but can our friendly truckers maybe find out for me so I can write it down for future reference?

cheers

From Reply #48:

A1 - s/c, s/w up to 9 pax c/all
C52 - MILCOTS
C62 - LSVW

Only 5 more to go. :)

B2 - 3 ton Standard Commercial
C10 - AVGP (Grizzly/Cougar)
C13 - Coyote
C21 Leo
C30- BV206

Hi. I hate to bump an old thread, but I have a few questions on 404's and though making a new one regarding this topic wouldn't be advised. I'm wanting to take the med tech program, but I don't have my PDL and I've been told I couldn't drive an ambulance without it. I do know that you don't need your PDL to drive CF vehicles, that you need your 404. Wouldn't an ambulance be covered under the 404 since its a Bison, LSVW or Ford F450. If its not covered, would I be able to take a driver's course at Borden's CFSAL? I'd be happy not driving for the rest of my life, unless it impedes in my dream career. Thanks for any help that may be provided, I'm just a confused civy  :brickwall:

forcerecon85 said:
Hi. I hate to bump an old thread, but I have a few questions on 404's and though making a new one regarding this topic wouldn't be advised. I'm wanting to take the med tech program, but I don't have my PDL and I've been told I couldn't drive an ambulance without it. I do know that you don't need your PDL to drive CF vehicles, that you need your 404. Wouldn't an ambulance be covered under the 404 since its a Bison, LSVW or Ford F450. If its not covered, would I be able to take a driver's course at Borden's CFSAL? I'd be happy not driving for the rest of my life, unless it impedes in my dream career. Thanks for any help that may be provided, I'm just a confused civy  :brickwall:

Having a PDL is required for entry into the trade, period.  The people who wrote the requirements for Med Tech decided you need a PDL (presumably so you have already gained some level of driving experience), and thats the way it is.  Either get your PDL, or pick a different trade.

you do not get 404's that say "ambulance" allowing you to drive all ambulances

At some time in the future, you will be given driving lessons for the kind of vehicles that your masters feel you need to do your work... but you need that PDL cause they want to skip the basic drivers ed.

As a Medic, you DO NOT drive/operate any ambulance, period. That's the MSE Op's / MDO's job, yours is to take care of the patient in the back along with the Flight Nurse or Flight Doctor.  Other than a maturity thing, I can see no real reason why a medic needs a PDL prior ot joining up.  I was the Amb trainer in my last unit and I answered many medical emergency calls, none of which did the medicos drive.  All the baseside and field medics I have been with, take a driver's crse for their 404's on required vehicles in the unit.
Any other medics can put thier $0.02 worth in, but I believe I'm correct here.

:cdn:

Fdtrucker said:
A1 - s/c, s/w up to 9 pax c/all
B1- Up to 1 ton Standard Commercial
C52 Milcot
C53 MLVW
C62 LSVW
T2 - trailer up to 1 ton
F4  rough terrain forklift up 6000 lbs
C d/goods
E- DDC
F- SBC
O- Brain fart- LAV3 Air brakes
...that's P for LAVIII brakes.  O is formal DND driver training.
Since you've all pulled the measuring tape out:A1, A6, B1, B5, C1, C11, C23, C26, C3, C53, C60, C61, C71, D1, D2, D3, D12, E1, E10, E20, E21, E23, E24, E25, E3, F4, F5, G16, G17, H10, H12, H20, H22, J11, T4, T6.
SPEC;A, B, C, E, F, H, L, M, N, O (that's airbrakes on real trucks, LOL), had a G but it has long expired and is no longer offered on base.
Oh, did I mentionI've got over 20years in the trade between field, base and wings?  8)

Cheers, BYTD
:army:

which leads to the question discussed in this thread..........

TF 08 bison drivers

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/54676.0.html

Although I stand corrected!  I do not agree with medics driving the ambs.  What's next?  Pilots operating refuellers?   :mad:

I can see many preventable accidents happening due to lack of skill in the newly qualified medic/drivers. I think they should use the Infantry drivers for this, they're the ones who get the most experience. 
But I'm just a driver.
Good Luck.

MedTech within a Field Amb are put on Driver Wheel Courses for LU/LS/MLVWs including Bison. As per Transport Directive 556 you must be qual 1 year on similar type veh (LSVW, Bison, Crash or Hiway Amb) before getting qualified on the Ambs. Included on the TD the person must be qual first aide/CPR, know the correct procedures how to drive with the emergency lights on and a few other prerequisites. Saying this Medtechs of the Fd Ambs do they drive their ambs once qualified. Once a unit goes on exercise they must request medtech and amb support. Some units will have their own drivers with medtech veh commander while others units will ask for a crew and amb. For example 1 Svc Bn had their own drivers on 1 ex with a Medtech in the amb, and on another they medtechs crewed their own ambs and BMS. On SR/PV in Shilo the ambs were crewed by Medtechs

On Bases and Wings it would be a MSE Op/MDO job.

Thanks FT for clearing that up for me. 
But I think the original post was for sig ops and 404's.  I think I posted something saying that sig ops are given driver training while on QL3 in Kingston.  I still do not see a reason why anyone besides us should need a PDL for 404's, except occasional drivers who can use their PDL when driving SC vehicles. 8)

BYT Driver said:
Since you've all pulled the measuring tape out:A1, A6, B1, B5, C1, C11, C23, C26, C3, C53, C60, C61, C71, D1, D2, D3, D12, E1, E10, E20, E21, E23, E24, E25, E3, F4, F5, G16, G17, H10, H12, H20, H22, J11, T4, T6.
SPEC;A, B, C, E, F, H, L, M, N, O (that's airbrakes on real trucks, LOL), had a G but it has long expired and is no longer offered on base.
Oh, did I mentionI've got over 20years in the trade between field, base and wings?   8)

Cheers, BYTD

Geez you got the whole alphabet there  ;D now my quals seem very small compared to yours

Spec: B,C,E,F,L

A1, B1, C27, C52, C53, C62, C71, E5, G16, H11, T5

Also I'm supposed to have T6 but somewhere my Transport NCO decided not to include it oh well  ::)

BYT Driver said:
Oh, did I mentionI've got over 20years in the trade between field, base and wings?   8)

Cheers, BYTD

Cheeky Bugger....just HAD to show how many more quals you have over me, eh? Over 20 years....I bet you even have the floor sweeper qual in there somewhere  ;D

This thread reminds me of a week ago...

Crossing the street (at a green light for me) on foot downtown Montreal - almost got taken out by a CF green-painted Ford truck with a "Student Driver" placard slotted in to the front grill.  Inside the kid must've been 16, and the truck was full of occupants... it was an icy/slippery day, and the guy decided he wasn't slowing down for the right hand turn at one of the biggest intersections in Montreal.

I hope they didn't pass him.

Meridian said:
This thread reminds me of a week ago...

Crossing the street (at a green light for me) on foot downtown Montreal - almost got taken out by a CF green-painted Ford truck with a "Student Driver" placard slotted in to the front grill.  Inside the kid must've been 16, and the truck was full of occupants... it was an icy/slippery day, and the guy decided he wasn't slowing down for the right hand turn at one of the biggest intersections in Montreal.

I hope they didn't pass him.

Why seems like he has gotten the hang of driving in Montreal. ;) j/k

geo said:
you do not get 404's that say "ambulance" allowing you to drive all ambulances

At some time in the future, you will be given driving lessons for the kind of vehicles that your masters feel you need to do your work... but you need that PDL cause they want to skip the basic drivers ed.

Would you happen to know if thats for beginners (in Ontario a G1) or your full license? I can get my G1 anytime, but for a full G it would take a few years.

Ummm.... Learners permits is what the CF is trying to avoid

Permit with restrictions for when to drive (before xx hrs, daylight conditions, etc) should not be a problem cause it is a full fledged drivers licence and you do not need to travel with someone else with his licence.

Sig_Des said:
Cheeky Bugger....just HAD to show how many more quals you have over me, eh? Over 20 years....I bet you even have the floor sweeper qual in there somewhere  ;D

Umm, yes I do.  Does street sweeper count?  I also have BMW on my 404's.

(broom, mop and wiper)  Aaahgg, I just hurt myself. 
driving.gif

LOL  ;D

After some discussion around the shop here, someone who knows a bit more than me stated that you do need a PDL before a 404 is issued.
Therefore I stand corrected.
Maybe it's a good thing that the military is not teaching basic driving anymore.  Safety will issue temporary 404's until you get your PDL.
Cheers, out

Back