• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

displacement and size of a HUANGFU class ship

turretmonster

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone have a JANES Navy book close by? I need to know the size of a Chinese HUANGFU class ship as well as what kind of draft she would draw.
Thanks in advance
TM

Are you serious? Use the internet (the tool you are using right now) and search for it!

From what I can gather (I don't have my copy of Jane's handy, I am moving and right now it is packed somewhere in a box), it is a missile boat. The biggest of these Chinese missile boats are 520 tons, and that is for the latest Type 520T (Houjian Class) missile boat. That design has a draft of about 3.3m.

Edit: Huangfu is a name of a Chinese naval base as well... namely, one of the South China Sea fleet's main bases. It is not a NATO codename for any Chinese vessel I am aware of.

Its from one of the zillion tables on my crse reading lists.

To quote " HUANGFU Type 021 ( OSA 1 Type) PCFG (Msl/Ptl boat)" unquote.....

I got me 40.7 ft or 12.4M of tides....., I suspect a 3.3 M draft ship might be a danger to my left flank for about 5 hrs at least.....

Much thanks

TM

Ok, I know what you are talking about.

The actual name is the Type 021 missile fast attack craft (FAC) (NATO codename: Huangfeng class). It is a Chinese copy of the Soviet Osa I class boat, and over 105 were built. The Chinese have mostly retired this type by the 1990's, but they are still in service with Yeman, North Korea, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Iran. In the 1990s Jiangnan Shipyard (the maker of the type) also developed few improved variants, codenamed as Hounan and Houdong class by Western intelligence, for export market. Some of these boats are armed with the improved YJ-8 (C-801) series anti-ship missiles to replace the original SY-1 (SS-N-2 Styx). A variant known as Hola class with six missiles was introduced in 1970 with only one unit built.

The design has a standard displacement of 205 tons, is about 39m long, has a beam of 7.6m, and a draft of 3m.

The design is really dated, especially if it has the the original SY-1 (NATO codename Silkworm) missile... but still a threat nontheless.

Next time, post the entire name of the type, as what gave the answer away to me was both the Type 21 and the OSA 1 Type designation. That indicated a missile boat, possibility of Soviet origin.

Edit: To give you an idea of what they look like, here's a few pictures:
osa-DNSN8401770_JPG.jpg

huangfeng1l.jpg

osa-DNSN8507202_JPG.jpg

Back