• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dishonourable Discharge?

Michael O'Leary said:
The Canadian Forces doesn't use the term "dishonourable discharge", that is an Americanism that has become common-place through media usage.

Release terms will be annotated on personnel files as follows:

The CF defines the terms of release in accordance with the Queen's Regulations and Orders. The release items in use are as follows:

Source - http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch015_e.asp#15.36

What is the difference bettween points 1 and 2.

Bobert said:
I assume you mean what's the difference between misconduct and unsatisfactory service. Well, without cracking my dictionary, or logging on to the DIN, here's my layman's definition:

misconduct: willfully doing something contrary to Q R & O's/CFAO's/NDA. IE- pissing all over your bosses desk, stealing, habitually late/absent (without leave). Basically, you do something you know is wrong. You went to DB, were charged, etc.

unsatisfactory service: you're a screw up. You're just not good at your job. You flunk out of every class you've taken. Basically, you try, but you are not meeting standard, and you're punted.

That's how I understand it. Perhaps someone has the official definition and can post it.

Bobert said:

Go to the provided source link.

Scroll down to "TABLE TO ARTICLE 15.01"

Read the "Special Instructions" column giving additional information on each release item.

Civvy job wise, if you do not declare your military service, even if your were dismissed in disgrace, they'll never know in the first place, unless you are applying for certain government jobs, and only then if they do a 'search' which in most cases they don't anyways. Complacency rules in the public service. Thats just how it is. yes, I am speaking of expereince in both provincial (Sask) and federal levels, and for some members of the public service who have excellent service conducting their duties by the book, I am not tarring all of you with the same brush.

Cheers,

Wes

What happens when you fail your course, like boot camp or the actual trades training that comes after? What does a dishonorable discharge mean and does it make it so you can't work for the gov't? Please explain! Thanks!

Does this effect getting federal, provincial or municipal governments or is it all 3? Thanks guys!

Normally you can get put on the next course, or you re-muster to a different trade, depends on the situation.

A "dishonourable" discharge is one that is usually the result of a sentence of a disciplinary action...there are other release actions that are a result of not being able to deal with military life, administrative issues, etc.  Is someone threatening you with something because you're not doing well on a course?

MM

You would not be "dishonourably discharged" for failing a course.  Furthermore, we don't actually use that term (it's an Americanism).  The closest equivalent terms we use are "dismissal" and "dismissal with disgrace."  Both of these are punitive in nature and are usually a result of misconduct (e.g. something criminal - failing a course is not considered misconduct).  If you are found "unsuitable for further service" and "released" as a result (e.g. repeated failure to meet a certain standard), it will generally be with honour.  Any normal release for reasons other than misconduct should not affect future employability in the Public Service (however, being honourably released as an administrative burden for being a raging alcoholic doesn't look good on a resumé), but may affect your ability to re-enrole in the CF at a later date.

Back