• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Disclosure of Medical Information to CO's

catalyst

Reaction score
Recently I received a letter from the Regional CO that was CC'd to various folk, however, I was concerned with the amount of medical information disclosed in the letter. I'm wondering if there is something out there that gives guidelines to what information is disclosed to CO's and the chain of command. I can' seem to see it...

Try this reference on DWAN:  http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2008/039-08_e.asp

Extract: (Note: MEL = Medical Employment Limitations)

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 026/00 ADMHRMIL 016 181430Z FEB 00
B. CFMO 8-02 (VERSION: CH 50 - 1988-03-24)
C. QR O 19.18
D. QR O CHAPTERS 4, 5
E. PRIVACY ACT R.S.C. 1985 C.P-21

EVERY HEALTH CARE PROVIDER HAS THE FOLLOWING DUTIES:

PROVIDE CLEAR, DETAILED AND RELEVANT MEL INFORMATION ON SICK REPORT FORM CF2018. THIS INFORMATION SHOULD INCLUDE, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, THE TYPE AND DURATION OF WORK THAT THE INDIVIDUAL CAN OR CANNOT DO, IN VIEW OF THE INDIVIDUAL S MEDICAL CONDITION. IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE THE PATIENT WOULD BENEFIT FROM AN OPEN COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE MO AND THE PATIENT S CHAIN OF COMMAND WITH RESPECT TO THE DISCLOSURE OF CLINICAL INFORMATION, THE PATIENT S WRITTEN CONSENT TO THE DISCLOSURE OF THAT INFORMATION SHOULD BE SOUGHT

TO DISCLOSE TO THE CO, LIMITATIONS ON THE SERVICE PERSON S ABILITY TO USE WEAPONS, COMPLEX MACHINERY OR EQUIPMENT

TO DISCLOSE ADDITIONAL NON-CLINICAL INFORMATION NECESSARY FOR THE CO TO ASSIGN APPROPRIATE DUTIES TO THE SERVICE PERSON

TO DISCLOSE PRESCRIBED INFORMATION TO APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES WHEN REQUIRED BY FEDERAL AND APPLICABLE PROVINCIAL LAWS AND

TO INFORM THE BASE/AREA SURGEON WHEN THE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER HAS INDICATIONS THAT A CO IS NOT PROVIDING THE REQUIRED SUPPORT TO THE MEMBER OR IS NOT RESPECTING MEL

Interesting - I got a letter saying "concerns have been raised about x offr, due to x and x" (naming actual medical issues). I'm very suprized that that was able to be put in a letter - it doesn't come from an MO, the only medical involvement is a CWO PA, especially given the confidential nature of the memo.

Unfortunately I don't have DWAN to do further searching.

Interesting...I'd take this letter straight to the BSurg in Esquimalt and ask straight out WTF. 

Just to set things straight, you've not discussed this issue with said CO correct?

MM

Nope - the chain of command (I worked at a Cadet Camp) was aware, but that treatment was being sought. to Come out and say what it was was quite.....odd.

They think I'm a danger to my cadets apparently - and thus can't be the supervising officer until I get a medical (fair enough) and prove that i'm stable (which I am). I was quite concerned about the specific medical stuff named - It is being dealt with civi side (as i'm back to being a class A ranger)....but still.....

Basically it said that concerns have been raised from this HQ ..... the letter doesn't even make sense grammar wise.

It is signed by the regional CO, CCd my Cadet Corps CO, the PersO, the AdminO, the PA guy, and the staff officer responsible for army cadets...... It is protected B, but i'm sure half hte world knows about it now!

oh, and it says "potential' medical condition. EIther way - they're still naming specifics. Hmm......

The CANFORGEN still remains important considering this paragraph and how it may relate to the safety of Cadets at the Camp:

TO DISCLOSE PRESCRIBED INFORMATION TO APPROPRIATE AUTHORITIES WHEN REQUIRED BY FEDERAL AND APPLICABLE PROVINCIAL LAWS

Don't worry, didn't break any laws ;) and no cadets were harmed during the summer (although..........I almost lmost stabbed the XO with my sword one day, but he got over it, apparently the navy salutes differently and he stood too close!). I was expecting to do a new medical (figured I'd have to do one eventually) but was suprised at what was in the letter. I'm having a wee chat with the RSM/RCMLO tommrow about it .... really caught me off guard (in the mail, no less)

Back