• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployed soldier fights phone bill

Mike O,
No, what I am saying is that people need not jump down others throats because they use the media to get something that in the end works to the benefit of all of us.

But I agree with DD...there is a fine line between activism and whining.

SFB said:
Mike O,
No, what I am saying is that people need not jump down others throats because they use the media to get something that in the end works to the benefit of all of us.

But I agree with DD...there is a fine line between activism and whining.

I'll agree with you on that point.

When the families of those who had Fallen went to the media because the big banks wouldn't write-off their mortgages - that was an act of activism that worked and was just. It resulted in the rules being applied to CF members who held mortgages "equally" with their non-military counterparts who held mortgages who would die while at work and who would have their mortgages forgiven ... unlike CF members who also died doing their jobs.

Going to the media because they won't waive monthly fees that you agreed to in order to get your phone "for free" just because you're a soldier?? Not on.

ArmyVern said:
When the families of those who had Fallen went to the media because the big banks wouldn't write-off their mortgages - that was an act of activism that worked and was just. It resulted in the rules being applied to CF members who held mortgages "equally" with their non-military counterparts who held mortgages who would die while at work and who would have their mortgages forgiven ... unlike CF members who also died doing their jobs.

"Banks to honour insurance claims":
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/news/article/181275--banks-to-honour-insurance-claims

This issue is not about whining about $30 a month or asking for coddling.  The larger issue is about flexibility and respecting the unique lifestyle  and rights of those in the forces. The US passed legislation  to address this and  when  rights are enshrined in law,  it does filter down  to the opinions  of the the general public.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/07/military_servicecontracts_071608w/

I don't see this situation any different than a civilian worker that is out of touch for weeks/months in the performance of their jobs. Should they get it free?

Another Mom said:
This issue is not about whining about $30 a month or asking for coddling.  The larger issue is about flexibility and respecting the unique lifestyle  and rights of those in the forces. The US passed legislation  to address this and  when  rights are enshrined in law,  it does filter down  to the opinions  of the the general public.

There are a lot of jobs out there that impose unique restrictions and situations unpon the employee.  Granted, not all are as rigid, imposing or as dangerous as the military, but then some are.  Plus, not all military occupations are as taxing as others.  Why should militray members be exempt from obligations that others aren't?  I hate when people ask for preferential treatment and will be damned if I'll do the same.  I almost feel embarassed to ask for a military discount at retailers that offer it.  A little silly, I know, but I like to honour the image of the humble, hard working Canadian soldier.  Not that of a whiner that feels the rest of the country somehow "owes" them.  The attitude and culture of entitlement is something that I see as a problem in the Forces.  Of course there are certain circumstances where a little understanding and felxibility would be nice, but demanding it in a situation like this is wrong. Especially going the media ***** route.  There are other larger issues that are a problem.... something like this is not one of them.

How is asking someone to hounour a contract, which they signed in full knowledge of it's obligations, not "respecting" their rights?  No one forced them to sign that dotted line... much like their CF contract. 

Another Mom said:

I have two friends who are civilians who are out of the country in austere conditions more than myself. If he didnt want to pay for it while deployed he could have got a pay as you go phone. Being a reservist it wasnt like he was called out last minute with no notice, sounds like piss poor planning to me.

I was in a contract with my cell provider when I deployed. I gave the phone to a family member to connect with her if she was outside  the house when I called.

As for the US having those kinds of plans it makes financial sense due to their size of military.

There are more important things to complain about....like being permantely injured for the rest of your life,being sent to a support trade you have no interest in, and being given 26,000 dollars for having all most everything in your body broken. So far as I'm concerned piddly ass stuff like this takes attention away from serious problems are troops are having....like our VAC plan.

Certainly could have avoided all this if he just bought a cell phone and paid month-to-month, or pay as you go... But no, it's the service provider's fault for providing a (probably) free phone with the understanding that you would pay for their service for "x" months.

Now that that is out of the way, I think it would be a pretty good feature on the service provider's part (and may save them from going to a collecting agency), if they had some "x month freeze" option included in their contracts (or even better, charge $20 to have the feature), where you were allowed to exercise the option once during the contract, for up to "x" months, where you weren't provided service, and didn't have to pay for service.

Once "x" months were up, the contract continued (so if you had a 1 year left before you exercised the option, you still have 1 year left).

I'm sure everybody would love to have this option "just in case" and whatnot, and a lot of people, not just military personnel going on tour, could make good use of it, with no harm done to the company. Also, for people that don't manage their bank accounts well or the unexpected happens, this x months grace may allow service provider's to not have to go to a collection agency to recover funds from a rogue debtor.

Another Mom said:
The US passed legislation 

You know we live in Canada right ?

Dont know if you missed that part during orientation.

I'm sure you are not just cherry-picking and want every single US law brought here too.

If we are going to compare eligibility for "benefits" of any kind between Canadian and American soldiers, then the pay scales (and effective allowances) as well as any relevant contractual charges being discussed should also be presented for perspective.

It is worth inquiring these types of companies to see if they will offer you some sort of deal while deployed, but if they don't have anything like that, don't go whining to the media that corporation x is evil and not supportive.

It is certainly worth inquiring and kudos to those who think to do so when establishing their contract or later.  It's the sense of expectation that a corporation should simply change their contractual obligation simply because it's a deployed soldier that lacks merit.

GAP said:
I don't see this situation any different than a civilian worker that is out of touch for weeks/months in the performance of their jobs. Should they get it free?

As mentioned before, I am constantly working in places that have either: a) no mobile coverage, b) mobile phone policies that do not allow them on location, or, c) both. I'm currently aboard a rig with 91 other people, all of whom likely have mobile phones, and have never once heard of someone trying to get a "deal" on their plan simply because of their rotation (and most of us are working 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off). And world over there are quite a few people who do the same as I - never in my travels have I haeard someone complain about something as trivial as a phone bill.

Hell, I went to Uzbekistan in 2008 for what I thought would be three to four weeks. Over ten weeks later I returned. And while I was gone I sucked it up and paid my phone bill via the internet.

Michael O'Leary said:
It is certainly worth inquiring and kudos to those who think to do so when establishing their contract or later.  It's the sense of expectation that a corporation should simply change their contractual obligation simply because it's a deployed soldier that lacks merit.

Exactly right! It also falls under the category of self preparation and having one's personal affairs in order prior to deployment. There are a great many companies who will bend their policies if ask nicely and have a compelling reason.

Another Mom said:
Is it really necessary to be insulting?  I don't know why I even bother...
People might be a little more respectful if you attempted to substantiate yourself on what many view to be a ridiculous position.

DirtyDog said:
People might be a little more respectful if you attempted to substantiate yourself on what many view to be a ridiculous position.

Just because some do not like the veracity of her argument doesn't mean its time to be a dick.

I thought the collective "we" had gotten over this.

I ended up keeping my plan active.... I never used the phone in KAF, but it was good to have when I was on HLTA in Australia, just in case....

I had bought an Roshan cell phone.  It was not worth it, even though it only cost me $50 USD.  It works in some areas, mainly KAF, but good luck with getting a Roshan cell signal in a FOB.  It makes sense not to be able to pick up service in areas, it was just aggravating being told it would work, then finding it didn't.  It worked great as an alarm clock though.

Back