• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO or ROTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go into a civilian line of work after paying for your own degree, you are not considered a DEO because you are not joining the military.  Am I correct on this?

He said he could make more money working while completing his degree then going ROTP and when he is finished his degree he would go DEO.

HH

kincanucks

I believed you left out the important line:

"Pay attention to detail".

The advantages of DEO seem to be autonomy, and a quick start if you've decided to change fields...

ROTP, provided you aren't questioning your commitment to this particular dream, seems the optimal choice for getting a degree if you have to start from scratch..

I think some of the most overlooked aspects of ROTP are:

a) Guaranteed summer employment.  This is as appealing for students as for parents.
b) Guaranteed post-education employment.  Nothing beats finishing school and wondering if you'll have a job.

For some of us, a career isn't about money.  It's about vocation. Like so many people in the CF, I turned down high-paying careers in favor of a uniform.  I don't doubt that at any time I could release and pursue those other careers, but I will not because I love what I do. 

Find me another job that will let me say that.  Find me a job that lets me wear my pride on my sleeve. 

You forget one of the biggest advantages of DEO though... TIME. Sure, I am now decided to join the Canadian Forces, but I still wasn't 100% decided when I first entered university. By going at a civilian university, I had a chance to taste the civilian life (with chances to work both in the public or private fields) while gathering all the information required for me to make my mind. In the meantime, I was acquiring a degree and had a truly open-ended future. I am sure I am not the only one who took a lot of time to ponder on whether a career in the CF was truly the occupation I wanted to pursue. The bottom line is that in first year university I still didn't feel ready to make the commitment...

If anyone is already 100% decided by the time he finishes highschool however, I really don't see why anyone would not recommend him to go the ROTP way.

Yeah, see, I've been considering the CF since I was about 8, that childhood fantasy became a dream when I turned about 12, and a goal when I was 16, so by the time I finished highschool earlier this year, I knew the CF was for me.  We were told that if we wanted to work a job, so long as our grades didn't suffer from it, we would most likely be allowed.  If I was living in residence, that would probably be a necessity for me, but I'm at home here in Ottawa, living with my mom, so I don't have to pay rent.  I'll see how things go either later this year, or after next summer, whenever my car stops working and I get myself a room downtown.

The different entry plans are available because people have different things that they value and prioritize. Some people want one thing, while to others, that is of lesser importance when compared to another thing... Either way, people will find the way into service that best meets their current and future needs.

scoutfinch said:
Donning my *crappy writing* decoder ring, let me take a stab at translating this to English:

I think what he is trying to say is that his grades sucked so he couldn't go ROTP (despite the fact that he heard about people in other countries with lower marks being accepted to their respective ROTP programmers). 

So, instead of ROTP, he is going to apply DEO once he graduates hoping that they won't look at his crappy marks but worries about the *full applicant analysis*.

Sorry about my delayed response.  But I was busy actually accomplishing something else in life, other than making cheap insults to individuals in vulnerable positions. Why are you even a member of the army forum? Obviously ur not a CF member AT ALL, and are probably an overweight white bread son of a POG, with no idea of what combat is truly all about.

To provide a more accurate explanation of my 'crappy marks', the basis of my question isn’t because I am not 'capable' of memorizing all the logarithmic tables in order to get a 95%, but rather would suffice meeting the requirements of getting an 70-80% WHILE earning a self-employed student income which probably doubles your own, right now.  As for my high school marks, no. they were deff NOT good enough for ROTP.  By age 18 I was operating a 5 employee business, and made more than my prof's. I was lucky if I made it to class 1/2 the time.. But I still pulled off 70's. Therefore there was not alot of motivation TO study.  By age 19, I had a fully operating non-profit boxing club with over 12 amateur fighters, and that also tied up most of my time.

When it comes down to selecting WHO will be the most effective infantry platoon leader (what I’m applying into). I’m pretty sure the most important aspect is NOT who can recite the most passages from grade 12 Shakespeare. 

The reason I posted this thread, as I was wondering weather I should sacrifice my fitness, combative, and leadership training in order to ensure a University 90%..  OR just slide by a 70% + have alot more applicable infantry skills/experience in my background..

Thanks for the helpful comments otherwise guys. I’m am confident that my DEO app will be accepted based on my pervious combat experience, and I'm sure my 'resume' will more than accommodate 'non-competitive' previous average. I'll probably just run an 80 for the next 2 years, and be content with that.

To scoutfinch or anyone with a 'BIG INTERNET MOUTH'
Feel free to PM me, and I’ll arrange a meet for you to stop by one of my clubs, and we'll put on the gloves ;)  or.  I’ll accept a 300yard rifle challenge, with a shot of tear gas in my face!!

THX a BUNCH!! to those who take this forum seriously and actually provide useful information for those seeking it.   

Threatening a beating over the internet .. Reminds me of grade 6 only the bully wants to meet you on a computer screen and not the skate park.

steve_TDP said:
Sorry about my delayed response.  But I was busy actually accomplishing something else in life, blahblahblahblah

Welcome to the warning system Steve.  Next time you're sparring with the death squad, maybe you can contemplate the word "tact".

steve_TDP said:
Sorry about my delayed response.  But I was busy actually accomplishing something else in life, other than making cheap insults to individuals in vulnerable positions. Why are you even a member of the army forum? Obviously ur not a CF member AT ALL, and are probably an overweight white bread son of a POG, with no idea of what combat is truly all about.

To provide a more accurate explanation of my 'crappy marks', the basis of my question isn’t because I am not 'capable' of memorizing all the logarithmic tables in order to get a 95%, but rather would suffice meeting the requirements of getting an 70-80% WHILE earning a self-employed student income which probably doubles your own, right now.  As for my high school marks, no. they were deff NOT good enough for ROTP.  By age 18 I was operating a 5 employee business, and made more than my prof's. I was lucky if I made it to class 1/2 the time.. But I still pulled off 70's. Therefore there was not alot of motivation TO study.  By age 19, I had a fully operating non-profit boxing club with over 12 amateur fighters, and that also tied up most of my time.

When it comes down to selecting WHO will be the most effective infantry platoon leader (what I’m applying into). I’m pretty sure the most important aspect is NOT who can recite the most passages from grade 12 Shakespeare. 

The reason I posted this thread, as I was wondering weather I should sacrifice my fitness, combative, and leadership training in order to ensure a University 90%..   OR just slide by a 70% + have alot more applicable infantry skills/experience in my background..

Thanks for the helpful comments otherwise guys. I’m am confident that my DEO app will be accepted based on my pervious combat experience, and I'm sure my 'resume' will more than accommodate 'non-competitive' previous average. I'll probably just run an 80 for the next 2 years, and be content with that.

Feel free to PM me, and I’ll arrange a meet for you to stop by one of my clubs, and we'll put on the gloves ;)   or.   I’ll accept a 300yard rifle challenge, with a shot of tear gas in my face!!

THX a BUNCH!! to those who take this forum seriously and actually provide useful information for those seeking it.   

Officer Boards in my experience do look at things such as marks, grammar and spelling.  You really should brush up on it if you want to make it in as an officer.  As regards to the Infantry; You know it is all about paying attention to detail and being in control of ones self.  Boxing is not combat no matter what you might think.  Grow up.

He posts and runs.

With your response, I can tell you right now you will not cut it as an infantry officer, or as ANY member of the CF.

The CF prides itself on teamwork among other things.

Did you know that you need to demonstrate the among highest forms of selfless leadership (which you did not at all in your post) to be an infantry officer?

Food for thought. 

Good luck, you are going to need it.

steve_TDP said:

The reason I posted this thread, as I was wondering weather I should sacrifice my fitness, combative, and leadership training in order to ensure a University 90%..  OR just slide by a 70% + have alot more applicable infantry skills/experience in my background..

Feel free to PM me, and I’ll arrange a meet for you to stop by one of my clubs, and we'll put on the gloves ;)  or.  I’ll accept a 300yard rifle challenge, with a shot of tear gas in my face!!

steve

You may think you have an idea of what it takes to be a successful infantry officer, but I would advise you to pull back and do a bit more research.  While you may think your "combatives" experience will put you in good stead, it's a limited skillset that won't much help you do many other aspects of the real job of an infantry officer.  You can't punch a memo down the Company Second-in-Command's throat, nor can you threaten to choke a pay clerk into submission to understand a soldier's pay problems. Many early lessons for young (new) infantry officers deal with mollifying the bursts of energy and anger they develop in training to solve phyiscal problems under stress, and to teach them to reapply themselves in a calmer fashion to solve problems with their head, not just with simplistic tactical solutions at mach three.  As in many areas of life, a calm demeanor and tact are valuable assets for an infantry officer too.  New infantry officers soon leave the platoon commander's job and enter what may seem to be very strange worlds; headquarters staff, instructional jobs, working with the Reserves ..... all very different from the stereotypical "infantry officer" image, but all real life assignments in which a roundhouse kick is even further from a workable solution to the daily issues and problems.

Relax, reassess, and try to understand that while what you offer is valuable, you have not described a complete package.  As an infantry officer, and one that has run training for officers at the infantry school (admittedly some years ago), I would personally be looking for you to demonstrate that balance before I would recommend your successful completion of training.

Mike

steve:

Mike's advice would be best taken, along with the other poster's comments, to heart. In all of your postings with respect to this subject, I have not seen any reference to a subscription to an Officer's core beliefs (without sounding like an ad for RMC) of duty, honour and valour - with a fair share of commitment to Queen and Country thrown in. (don't kid yourself that during your interview that an absence of expressing - with demonstrative evidence -  of these core beliefs will not bode well with your file). 

Might I also suggest that before you take one step further into putting your mouth around your foot, that you go read an Officer's commissioning scroll and review the oath.  Can you, will you be able to fulfil the requirements of that oath and commission? 

On a rather minor nickpick, being able to recite passages from literature or biblical sources proved to be quite useful to many of the men/women in POW camps and Civvie internment camps during our conflicts.  Take a moment and do it it soon, to meet with the survivors of Japanese POW camps in Burma (you'll be able to ID them they'll have the Burma Star gong on their chests) and listen to their stories of having their officers and comrades recite the 23rd Psalm when many of them were held in the "sweat boxes" to keep their morale up.  After listening to these men's stories, come back and tell me that not being able to recite a line or two from Shakespeare isn't going to be part of who you are as an Officer.

On another nickpick, I have to draw a serious doubt that you along with the imaginary "white bread son of a POG" haven't got a schmick of what combat is either.  I'm afraid that owning the expansion pack of Call of Duty doesn't count as combat experience nor does operating a boxing club give you that level of experience that you decry to the other poster.  If I recall correctly, the appropriate gong hanging from your chest is a marker of your having somewhat of a decent level of "combat experience". 

As a mother of an NCM, I shudder at the thought of your ever being in command of my child or her husband.  As the wife of an Officer, I recoil at the thought of you being a subordinate to my husband with your wannabe-John-Wayne-cowboy-shoot em-up-and-engage-brains-later attitude as it will more than likely either get my husband in a world of hurt having to deal with your fallout or yourself in a bigger hurt locker.  As a former CF member, I can only hope that the recruitment screening processes are still in working order.   

steve_TDP

Like your previous incarnation, Mr.Clean, with your "Post 'n Run" style of posting your tirades, you have progressed to the end of the Warning System.

Thanks for coming out.

Bye.

Wow....4 post wonder boy trying to bully someone on the internet.

::)

Regards

Wow a "future officer" with a childish website containing numerous spelling mistakes, and a douche bag attitude to boot… hopefully not in my IAP/BOTC.  :mad:

I'll remember the name. Hopefully I won't see it again.

derael said:
Wow a "future officer" with a childish website containing numerous spelling mistakes, and a douche bag attitude to boot… hopefully not in my IAP/BOTC.  :mad:

I'll remember the name. Hopefully I won't see it again.

Hey maybe he "will" be on your course and you can run him into the ground.  Life does have its pleasures!  >:D

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

Since he can no longer rebut, we're done here.  The usual caveats apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back