• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defence Analyst Sunil Ram

oldlineman said:
This is Prof. Sunil Ram speaking... the real one not the guy up in Hunstville.

...Now unless you happen to have a TS/level 3 SC you don't need to know any more...

Now for those who have been junior James Bond's looking into my background if they actually knew how to use the Internet as a tool they would find numerous corrections due to errors made by the media about me...

As an aside I have appeared hundreds of times in the national and international media because I know what I am talking about and because I am consistently correct ...

The fact we can have this type of discussion is in fact healthy and shows we live in a true democractic state-one I have defended for over a quarter century.

But in turn it does not give the right to individuals who clearly don't know their own Canadian military heritage, symbology, or customs to comment based on supposition, conjecture, wild guessing and worse of all uneducated opinion.

Hopefully, this will make those of you having boring rainy days find something more useful to do. If not well what can I say... other than get a life!

Instead of hitting on every comment you've made, I'll sum it up in a few sentences. 

You are an arrogant ass.  Any potential client who sought your services would do the same thing these people have done, and that is check out your credentials and past service.  As pointed out by several posters, some of your credentials appear to have been exaggerated and require clarification.  If you want to blame others for errors in your biography, so be it, but then its up to you to go back and correct these errors, the same responsibility and accountability expected of any other company or consultant out there.  You would have done far better to have corrected " supposition, conjecture, wild guessing and worse of all uneducated opinion" by supplying facts instead of baraging them with insults.  I am completely unimpressed with your lack of professionalism and academic-style snobbery.   

Dear Grey matter
Let me make something crystal clear--- it is not my background that is in question here--- remember I'm the one on TV and radio and in print.... it is yours that is in question!

By default being in the media gets negative responses--- which is rather funny since this all started with a postive comment re a spot on CTV...

You are correct ref errors. God knows its the Internet and if I went chasing around fixing errors all day long I would never get any work done. Clearly you all have way too much free time. If you look, there are still a few corrections posted on media sites... as to AMU, that is an Admin function that I do not control (but thanks to whoever pointed it out.... since obviously I don't read my own bio on a regular basis ---they still have not posted that update). But it will, like all things, be corrected. But that is the public record and I don't work in the public sector but the private world. This is why the Sunil Ram in Hunstville got the media attention he did. A number of major media outlets found him on the internet when they were looking forme. By the way for the record he was a Cpl in a reserve Svc Btn in Ontario-- a weapons tech I understand. This of course has created a lot of confusion since he (unless asked directly) does not explain he is not the person they are looking for. This has been confirmed to me by all the major news outlets in Canada. I can't sue him because of the name issue--- Sunil Ram is a reasonably common name. Frankly, I did not know the guy even existed until some pals in the PMC world pointed it out to me... and then there was the day I started getting contacted to send Mercs to Iraq after his big media splash a few years ago!!! Go figure.

Given those who claim to know something about me or my work for that matter, actually know nothing... it is more opinion and contjecture.
Note the post by glock17
He got mad at the Tor Star about some comment I made and wrote a bunch of BS to them... they corrected his mistakes and he was so worked up he made "some calls". What is funny is he has (assuming his profile is correct) been out of the CF for 20 years and was a Cpl! Note I know who he is... HIS queries raised some problems for the twit who gave him incorrect information about me. Note this info was drawn from my Protected B file--- so I am sure someone will see something nasty in the mail sooner or later. As to his comment about the person who interviewed me it is a moot point, since this was more about this person's ego being bruised than me knowing the CDS--- rank and position pettyness in the CF has always been a problem since the days of the Canadian Militia- read my coauthored commissoned paper for the CFLI (which I might add has appeared in a number of forms and pubs-albeit is is a bit dated now) on military leadership. Oh... and this begs the point if I was not who I say I am why on earth would the CDS even talk to me and why on earth would the CF pony up money to fund an academic paper that is still posted.

Now why on earth would my private work be in the public domain... it just shows how illogical the basic criticism is, the very fact I don't need a website to advertise myself should be a very, very loud and clear message--- and if one does not get the message

(a) it shows how little one knows of the way these things work in the real world
(b) also just how little one knows of the international sphere, and
(c) clearly one has little to no idea about security.... and please don't bore me with the "I had/have a security clearance in the military BS"--- we all know what a joke that is 90% of the time.

Oh and I 'm not here to educate you on any of these points either. It is curious to note that those who have got their knickers in a twist do not have the balls to say who they are and what they do... and until they give me their real names and where they are from they are just little cowards who hide behind an electronic wall throwing spit balls. Most of those who have found fault with my work tend to be people who don't like the message... though, this is a free society and we even have to tolerate this type of stupidity. There is that old adage that comes to mind about killing the messenger!

And why the insult.... rather detracts from your point re corrections (which I noted above was valid). Seems silly and petty on your part. For a guy who claims to be a SNCO with 20+ years of experience I am suprised by your rather limited vision and knowledge of the CF-- my ref to CFB Shilo and the Pine Tree Line should have also been a very loud and clear message -especially if you have been in formore than 20 years-- but then you might have been a PVT with no security clearance for all I know. And if you are on the West coast , I am sure you have heard me on the Bill Good Show! If not listen you might learn something.

BUT these points raise questions about you and people like glock17 and your motivations... I mean look at your handles
"Grey Matter" now that is arrogance from you... "Grey Matter"-- to presume such a handle imples you think you are terribly intelligent or somehow superior to others!

Ultimatley, this is not about me but rather how you see yourself. I have nothing to prove to you, rather it is the opposite. And it is even more irrelevant that I "impress" you. Who on earth do you think you are?

Please note I would be happy to stand you a pint in Toronto where you can feel free to vent all you like  >:D

Oh and impress me and tell me who you really are!

cheers
Sunil Ram

bsflag.gif

oldlineman,

Whatever, if you were the real Sunil Ram, I do not see an academic, and a supporter of the Military lowering himself to playing smash face for Cheques.

I call Bull Puckey, who are you?  Someone with an agenda against Ram?

PM me if you want to meet up, I can qualify you.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
bsflag.gif

oldlineman,

Whatever, if you were the real Sunil Ram, I do not see an academic, and a supporter of the Military lowering himself to playing smash face for Cheques.

I call Bull Puckey, who are you?  Someone with an agenda against Ram?

PM me if you want to meet up, I can qualify you.

dileas

tess

S Ram,

Please take him up on the offer before we have to listen to anymore pompous tirades.

I have only one thing to ask here ...

As Army.ca is a Canadian Web-site about the Canadian Forces, and as Mr. Bobbitt has been kind enough to post an "acronyms" spot listing acronyms common to the Canadian Forces, please start using the proper Canadian military terminolgy and acronyms; it makes it less confusing for the civilians (and media too  ;)) who visit this site.

Properly:

Bn vice "Btn"
Pte vice "PVT"
SnrNCO vice "SNCO"

Really, they are very common acronyms, basic GMK (General Military Knowledge), used daily in service ... I'm surprised at their improper usage here quite frankly.

No it really is me... 
I have just got a little fed-up with the sniping, and sometimes you just have to stick it to twits who simply do not know what they are talking about. There is no point being gentle or nice.
One is inclined to think that some of it is even racial in nature, but who knows the real agenda of people who hide their identities behind handles

But this stuff is very mild compared to the comments people send into the CBC or CTV or the papers... price of being in the media. And as an old friend once said to me if you walk on the sunny side of the street expect to get shot at!

pick a night (except Tues) and will stand you a drink at the RCMI (you know the dress code I assume)
cheers
Sunil

ps not sure how to PM on this means

oldlineman said:
No it really is me... 
I have just got a little fed-up with the sniping, and sometimes you just have to stick it to twits who simply do not know what they are talking about. There is no point being gentle or nice.

I wouldn't either, but I am sure Sunil would post with a professionalism that he uses with the press and his students.

oldlineman said:
One is inclined to think that some of it is even racial in nature, but who knows the real agenda of people who hide their identities behind handles

Oh this one is cute.

oldlineman said:
But this stuff is very mild compared to the comments people send into the CBC or CTV or the papers... price of being in the media. And as an old friend once said to me if you walk on the sunny side of the street expect to get shot at!

Getting shot at, wonder what that is like....

oldlineman said:
pick a night (except Tues) and will stand you a drink at the RCMI (you know the dress code I assume)
cheers
Sunil

ps not sure how to PM on this means

Uhuh.....don't know how to PM.  You did see the BS flag a waved eh troll.

dileas

tess

This is going to be an unpopular post but...
I dont give a crap if he's exaggerated his credentials a little bit. All his done is the same as i what i used to do when telling people who didnt know anything about the military that i drove a tank instead of telling people i drove an M113. They understand the lowest common denominator and it works in getting the point across.
This bloke is coming out in the media and helping the CF by smashing some of the negative press and ignorant beliefs. And all you lot want to do is bring him down because you've nothing better to do.
I've got buckets of respect for a bloke who does what he does in having the guts to stand in front of the camera's and stand up for what he believes in. By educating those who havent a clue and just want to push agenda's.

All i can feel from a bunch of people here is jealousy. He's done good and is still doing brilliant things for the CF while the rest of you are trying to chase him down because "Its a rainy afternoon". That just seems pathetic, especially insulting him and saying he's unprofessional because he didnt post like you expected him to.
Like he said himself, its interesting that all this bastardlyness came out because, as has already been said, HitorMiss said that they really enjoyed hearing him talk on the telly.

oldlineman said:
Let me make something crystal clear--- it is not my background that is in question here--- remember I'm the one on TV and radio and in print.... it is yours that is in question! ...But that is the public record and I don't work in the public sector but the private world...

On the contrary. If you are who you say you are, you have decided to place yourself in the public eye, much like a movie star or other television personality.  If you make claims you should be prepared to back them up.  If you show up on TV, radio, etc., then you should be prepared to answer questions on your credentials.  You should also note that I have not questioned your credentials, only taken you to task for unnecsary insults that should have been answered in a more civil manner.  Your actions reflect not only on yourself but everyone else in the security industry.

oldlineman said:
This is why the Sunil Ram in Hunstville got the media attention he did. A number of major media outlets found him on the internet when they were looking forme. By the way for the record he was a Cpl in a reserve Svc Btn in Ontario-- a weapons tech I understand. This of course has created a lot of confusion since he (unless asked directly) does not explain he is not the person they are looking for. This has been confirmed to me by all the major news outlets in Canada. I can't sue him because of the name issue--- Sunil Ram is a reasonably common name. Frankly, I did not know the guy even existed until some pals in the PMC world pointed it out to me... and then there was the day I started getting contacted to send Mercs to Iraq after his big media splash a few years ago!!! Go figure.

This should have been in your original post to clarify issues.

oldlineman said:

Now why on earth would my private work be in the public domain... it just shows how illogical the basic criticism is, the very fact I don't need a website to advertise myself should be a very, very loud and clear message--- and if one does not get the message.  

Again, you are no longer a 'private' citizen when you make yourself into a public icon, in this case a proclaimed expert.

oldlineman said:
Oh and I 'm not here to educate you on any of these points either. It is curious to note that those who have got their knickers in a twist do not have the balls to say who they are and what they do... and until they give me their real names and where they are from they are just little cowards who hide behind an electronic wall throwing spit balls.  ...Oh and impress me and tell me who you really are!...

A valid point.  My answer is that I also work in the security industry, but am here as a private person, not a company representative.  I do not wish my personal opinions to be taken as representative of the company I work for, and while I may one day go public with my name and associations, I remain anonymous at this time, but do reveal my true name and contact information to those persons who earn my respect here.

oldlineman said:
"Grey Matter" now that is arrogance from you... "Grey Matter"-- to presume such a handle imples you think you are terribly intelligent or somehow superior to others!

Hmmm... probably guilty. It is actually a double entendre.  It can refer to 'brains', but also refers to matters which are not clear in black and white, which was the intention.  While I do consider myself intelligent, and I think its a witty handle, I do not claim to know everything, nor do I claim to be perfect, or right all the time, or superior to others.  

oldlineman said:

Ultimatley, this is not about me but rather how you see yourself. I have nothing to prove to you, rather it is the opposite. And it is even more irrelevant that I "impress" you. Who on earth do you think you are?

If you had nothing to prove, you wouldnt have responded in the first place.  For myself, I am a person who objects to your tone and treatment when someone asks a valid question.  This forum is where people from many walks of life and varied backgrounds discuss issues.  You had a chance to clarify the confusion over your credentials in a civil manner, and you blew it, and are still blowing it.  And I would leave this to the Mods to sort out but since you have addressed questions to me directly, I feel obligated to respond.

oldlineman said:

Please note I would be happy to stand you a pint in Toronto where you can feel free to vent all you like  >:D  cheers

Possible, but as the Mods here suspect you may be trolling, this is unlikely at this time.  And to avoid being accused of feeding trolls, or other inappropriate actions, I will leave off further comments until they pass judgement.

Hale said:
This is going to be an unpopular post but...
I dont give a crap if he's exaggerated his credentials a little bit. All his done is the same as i what i used to do when telling people who didnt know anything about the military that i drove a tant instead of telling people i drove an M113. They understand the lowest common denominator and it works in getting the point across.
This bloke is coming out in the media and helping the CF by smashing some of the negative press and ignorant beliefs. And all you lot want to do is bring him down because you've nothing better to do.
I've got buckets of respect for a bloke who does what he does in having the guts to stand in front of the camera's and stand up for what he believes in. By educating those who havent a clue and just want to push agenda's.
All i can feel from a bunch of people here is jealousy. He's done good and is still doing brilliant things for the CF while the rest of you are trying to chase him down because "Its a rainy afternoon". That just seems pathetic, especially insulting him and saying he's unprofessional because he didnt post like you expected him to.
Like he said himself, its interesting that all this bastardlyness came out because, as has already been said, one of us said that they really enjoyed hearing him talk on the telly.

Uhm..

YAH!

I think....

come again?

dileas

tess

Is that little edit any better? I'm just saying it isn't right to rip into him like you've all been doing. The bloke has only done good things for the CF. Like he said, he didn't write his bio, yet its suddenly the worst crime in history and he needs to be outed as a poser. He's helping educate the ignorant about the military. That's a great thing and he should be respected for it. Not insulted.

Off to bed I go.

oldlineman, thanks for the PM, and can't wait to meet on Tuesday.

Hale,

Uhm, ya, you go man.....

dileas

tess

Anyone see any reason to continue this train wreck? At least til there's a meet?

Good day All
This is the first time I have ever been on a forum of any kind so I hope I don't mess it up! Use the incorrect terms and all.

I am Sgt David Hensman a Recruiter for 32 CBG, before that I was the Recruiter for the Tor Scot Reg. My main office line is 416-203-4625.
I talked to Prof. Ram and was his first recruiter when I was recruiting for the TSR (the file has been handed off). I can say this I looked into this guy's past more than any other recruiter (there were 3 other Units looking at him at the time), most stopped after they did a VFS on him and it came up with only half his info. I started to dig much deeper, I contacted the 73/74 com grp HQ in Edmonton and found the rest of his file. It is PROTECTED B so I can't get into it, but all he said about his Military background checked out. I then got a hold of his CV and started looking into some of the info on that and it checked out. I did not look into all of it mind you, at the time it was 13+ pages and everything I looked into was on the up and up.
I let him know that I looked into him and was impressed that I was not getting the run around. Prof. Ram liked my recruiting system and said he would mention it to the CDS, I was a bit sceptical myself.
About a month later the CDS was in my office in Fort York Arm asking me what I did that was getting more people in than any other recruiter. My CO dropped in and said Hi to the CDS and the 32 CBG Commander sent me an email the next day mentioning that he spoke to him and I was mentioned. The reason I tell you that information is to say that Prof Ram was NOT BSing me,again.

Some of you are mixing him up with the other guy in Huntsville, I did the same at first (it also checked out).
For those of you who are questioning the organizations or schools/ Universities Prof Ram is associated with, let me say this, they are world class organizations. take a look at UNITAR you will find that the CDN GOV funds some of the training programs (for what that's worth). Sorry! I had to poke at the GOV.

As for AMU, this is a fully accredited Privet US Deffence University, I took a look at their Disaster responce related courses and was very impressed ( I was interested in being a firefighter and thought this would help). The majority of their students are US Military Personal and in Iraq or Afghan.

Please keep in mind that I am privy to information that most people can't get on Prof Ram.
I also had a lot more at stake with the information given buy him, to do as detailed a check on him, than most if not all of you.

I don't think it is fair that you say all this about a person you may have Googled (you may find David Hensman is a Reverend in BC).
I gave you my information at the top of the page. You can make your own assessment about me, but I am telling you what I know.

Take Care
Dave

Now, I have to wonder how it happens that a guys' recruiter, who did an exemplary job, just happens to notice an obscure thread on a site where he has never posted, until now.

GAP - roger that my BS meter is pegged

and as for Sgt H
::)

So your trained CIC agent, as well as recruiter? Whoppy frikken do... - I write my SIN or SN on a scrap of paper and its Protected B.  I was  :boring: at the this topic intially - the entire I am so I am rant just made me realise what a paper thin veneer some people try to use for sham credibility these days.

I said I have never been on a forum, Sorry I meant I have never posted anything before (my bad).
I have been on this sight before, I was being talked about a few years ago, and someone told me, so I looked into it (it was all good, thanks).
Most of the time I don't care to say anything about people, and opinions are much like as... nevermind. People who know me, know I know him (wow that was a mouth full).
Prof Ram is a big boy and can take care of himself, I just thought it was the right thing to do, to say he has never missled me on the information he gave.
As for you saying I "did an exemplary job", Thank you!

oldlineman said:
For what it is worth I started at 734 Comm Sqn Regina, I have served briefly with 1CSR Kingston and 731 Com Sqn CFB Shilo and I was a lineman!
Now if any of you know what the Pine Tree Line was and know anything about CFB Shilo at the height of the Cold War... then I don't need to explain myself anymore. For those of you who do not... read your own CF military history. Years later due to shortages of CELE officers I came back to the CF for a short stint as a SIGS officer. Now unless you happen to have a TS/level 3 SC you don't need to know any more.

Having actually lived on the Pine Tree Line and served during the heights of the Cold War, the above statement is a whole bunch of (as someone else put it) bull hockey.  I have also been inside the bunker in CFB Shilo, and it is nothing of serious consequence, unless you are living a terribly boring life and want to pass off a Nuclear Shelter with added communications gear to keep a bunch of Provincial Politicians in touch with the rest of the world in an emergency as a Top Secret lair to impress the extremely ill-informed.  Most here have a very good idea of what Comms Reservists did during those days as "teletype operators".  So in the end, I am not impressed.

oldlineman said:
Why you find my background so curious I have no idea... but note the BIO that was posted is dated and not written by ME! AMU (where I teach edited it and left out all the good bits).

As all of us with military service know, and have had drilled into us many times, check your docs.  I find it a rather telling fault that one who claims to be who they are, would let their Bio slip.  Not only slide on one site, but several; especially if they left out "all the good bits".

oldlineman said:
As an aside I have appeared hundreds of times in the national and international media because I know what I am talking about and because I am consistently correct (well except of the Taliban 2007 Spring offensive-- but hey you can't be right all the time  :D).

So has Capt Kangaroo.  ::)

oldlineman said:
Note due to my international work... please never confuse me with some local Canadian analyst, I obviously have a contrarain view.

I think that this is the just of this whole topic.  We are actually doubting your abilities as an "analyst".  I don't think there was any confusion on anyones part there.

oldlineman said:
The fact we can have this type of discussion is in fact healthy and shows we live in a true democractic state-one I have defended for over a quarter century. But in turn it does not give the right to individuals who clearly don't know their own Canadian military heritage, symbology, or customs to comment based on supposition, conjecture, wild guessing and worse of all uneducated opinion.

Sorry, but many here have a very good knowledge of Canada's military heritage, customs, symbology, etc. and do take you to task on some of the falsehoods you have put forward in presenting your credentials. You have falsely implied in your Bio and posts many things that prove to us that you really are not whom you seem to present yourself as.  Most here, with Military Service are picking up on all you little 'discrepancies'.

oldlineman said:
Oh and the UNITAR-POCI site is an OFFICIAL UN AGENCY. UNITAR is the training wing of the UN and is an independent agency. If you bother to look hard enough there is ample proof of this- again it seems people only see what they want. Hell US military personnel get professional credits for UNITAR-POCI programs. Currently thousands of UN peacekeepers have taken the courses I developed for UNITAR-POCI... look at the lists provided on the website (note this does not include numbers prior to 2005 as I recall)

Funny how those sites are designed to give an impression of being official, yet really give very little information, link back to each other, and even solicit funds.

oldlineman said:
What I find troubling is that there are comments on this chat about my PROTECTED B file... which really makes me wonder who runs this whole show.

::)  Honestly?  Who really cares about your POTECTED B file?  We have for the most part found that you are just an arrogant, pompous little person who has created an image of himself as being legendary in his own mind as witnessed in your closing remarks:
oldlineman said:
---  that is why I am the international defense and security analysts and you are NOT! I don't have any respect for those who do not have the balls to say what they need to to my face... so let me stand you a pint at the TOR Scots mess at Fort York or the RCMI and feel free to winge in person... its easy to be a know it all "hero"on the internet it is another thing to deal with someone in person.

And seriously, if you want to comment on people and their anonymity on the internet, not having the courage to face off, can you tell us why you have hidden here behind the name oldlineman for so long and made inquiries as to
oldlineman said:
Hi all
does anyone know him, what is he like? Is he an OK guy to work for?

any help would be appreciated
thanks
OL

Looks like a case of "Pot calls Kettle black" to me. 

Anyway.  I am sure that those who are interested, can read and judge on their own.  They can sift through all the Bovine Scatology and filter out their own chunks of relevant info.  It only added to everyones interest and entertainment to parachute in a young impressionable mind from the Tor Scot R and your insistence to have a face to face over pints in two "institutions" meant to impress the impressionable.  Most who really are in the know, look on many who present 'false credentials' by embellishing their real credentials with implied falsehoods as nothing more than charlatans.

Well regardless of who it is posting or who we may or may not be mixing Sunil Ram with, he was again on CTV ths evening.

I will also add he was well spoken and well informed.

Back