• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decomissioning to the ranks

max flinch

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m a RESO phII trained 2lt who‘s been in the holding reserve for seven years. I got tired of paperwork, politics, and not doing the "hands on" activities (humping an mg across the boonies) that drew me to the forces in the first place.
I was a good soldier, and a mediocre officer. Most of the troops I ever commanded are no longer in the unit. I‘m 34, and still very fit. I‘m thinking about resigning my comission and rejoining my unit in the ranks. I know this is rare, but I‘ve heard of it being done. I‘d appreciate any comments or advice.

Personally, I‘ve never even heard of someone doing that. But why not, go for it. If that‘s what you want to do. You‘ll still have to do a bunch of courses though, since you‘ve been out for more than three years.
Good luck, I hope it all works out!

This question came up during my basic course, when our pl commander was addressing us lowly private recruits.

The topic was career progression, and someone asked if it were possible to go from a commissioned officer to an NCM.

The pl commander said this doesn‘t happen. The commission comes from The Queen. It just isn‘t done to later on decide to give it back. As with everything, I am sure there are extraordinary circumstances which we didn‘t cover, however it seems that once you are commissioned, you are commissioned for life.

Once upon a time, a commission could be bought and sold. The practice ended around the time of the Zulu war, iirc, when the British army moved to an educated officer cadre, as opposed to merely one born of priviledge. Since then, I think the view has been that giving back a commission is like returning your medals.

One sure way to get your commission removed, I would imagine, would be to commit an act of treason. I wonder if they do the whole sword-breaking thing still, as well?

Back