• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

Yep. I don't think you quite understand how many women feel about their hair. Not being a man, I can't speak for all you men, but for many, many women, hair is a defining part of their self-expression. There's cultural, social associations you may not personally understand, but I assure you they exist.

I invest a ridiculous amount of time and money in my hair without a second thought because to me, it's part of me. Is it sensible? Maybe not. But it's going to continue. And for what it's worth, I always look tidy and professional in uniform.
When I was in recruiting it was certainly the question I was asked about the most from women. “Will I have to cut my hair?”

What exactly is the old man standard?
The standard where men had to have the taper trim up the back, nothing touching the ears... You know, the standard that existed for decades.

Not being a man, I can't speak for all you men, but for many, many women, hair is a defining part of their self-expression.

Sorry. That's where I went wrong.

I have private preferences regarding women's hair, but would never tell a woman how she should wear it.

The standard where men had to have the taper trim up the back, nothing touching the ears... You know, the standard that existed for decades.

Has anything changed? :)

1717179487536.png

Butch was my style as a kid but we called it a brush cut.

Personally I found having long hair did make a difference when I was a runner. Didn't realize how much until I joined and had it cut off, was like I lost 20 pounds off my head and I didn't get as hot. The barber did mention if he could have charged me by the weight or length he would have made a fortune off me.

Most people with a modicum of common sense will adapt to the circumstances.
You might have honed in on the problem.

In civilian service (law enforcement), a male supervisor/manager commenting on the appearance of a female subordinate, uniformed or otherwise, is a minefield that most will venture into once and only once.

Yep. I don't think you quite understand how many women feel about their hair. Not being a man, I can't speak for all you men, but for many, many women, hair is a defining part of their self-expression. There's cultural, social associations you may not personally understand, but I assure you they exist.

I invest a ridiculous amount of time and money in my hair without a second thought because to me, it's part of me. Is it sensible? Maybe not. But it's going to continue. And for what it's worth, I always look tidy and professional in uniform.
When my wife wore a police uniform, her hair was down to her waist. That was in the days of no pony tails and wearing hats was rigourously enforced. The amount of work she went through to (a) maintain that amount of hair and (b) prep it for work, was impressive.

Yeah I think that’s entirely reasonable.

Yeah, joined the PRes when I was 16. We cut and shaved to the "old mens' standard".

When interviwed for a full-time job, they said to keep it that way.

Not to suggest times now are better or worse than "back when the Earth was cooling" :)

Just different.

Yeah, joined the PRes when I was 16. We cut and shaved to the "old mens' standard".

When interviwed for a full-time job, they said to keep it that way.

Not to suggest times now are better or worse than "back when the Earth was cooling" :)

Just different.

Well you were responding to a woman who was replying to the uhhh… unique suggestion that we ought to force women to cut their hair to a male 1950s standard. Which ironically would have seen them investigate in the 1950s.

Similarly if I ever tried to suggest to one of our Sihk soldiers that for some reason, despite all evidence, he ought to shave and cut his hair he’d rightly tell me to fuck off.

Absolutely. I know a few women who have, for various reasons, had to cut or lost their hair.

To me, I’d say “well whatever - it’s hair, it’ll grow back” but there are absolutely stigmas against women with short hair (e.g. “The Karen”) or shaved head that men don’t have.

I think if we drop all the silliness around the extremes, and cut to the core of why some people these days look less well put together, it comes down to the lack of clearly defined standards.

Under the old rules we had pictures and clearly laid out standards for what was acceptable, and what wasn't. If as a guy your hair touched your ears or collar, you would be told to get a hair cut. As a woman if your hair went past the bottom of the collar, you'd be told to put it in a ponytail, or bun.

These days, people aren't 100% sure what the line is, and most don't want to risk a UDI/harassment investigation. I'm not risking my career over an S3 that has made questionable fashion choices...

There's having long hair and there's looking like a crack head.

Some of our people pushed the limit either just because they could, or because they get a kick out of it.

It's nice when you can trust people to be professional but these people ruin it. Which is why we need guidelines on measuring people's hair.

The other day I walked past a Captain(A) who was wearing a brown crew neck undershirt with his DEU SS Shirt. I was a bit gobsmacked and he disappeared around a corner before I could square him off. Then I noticed the amount of crew neck t shirts with DEU SS shirts being worn by C-Navy Pers. So a quick check of the refs confirmed that underwear is not to be visible. A quick email to Chief Lizotte resulted in the CCWO network bat signal being lit and this will now be an item at the next dress committee meeting.
Yer welcome.
The Simpsons Flirt GIF

Last edited:
The other day I walked past a Captain(A) who was wearing a brown crew neck undershirt with his DEU SS Shirt. I was a bit gobsmacked and he disappeared around a corner before I could square him off. Then I noticed the amount of crew neck t shirts with DEU SS shirts being worn by C-Navy Pers. So a quick check of the refs confirmed that underwear is not to be visible. A quick email to Chief Lizotte resulted in the CCWO network bat signal being lit and this will now be an item at the next dress committee meeting.
Yer welcome.
The Simpsons Flirt GIF
Not all heroes wear capes :sneaky:

Although, if the change becomes “pers can wear crew neck t-shirts under DEU short sleeve shirts” I wouldn’t complain either.

Back