• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer killed by IED 27 March 2011

Death of Corporal Yannick Scherrer

March 27, 2011

Message from His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Corporal Yannick Scherrer

OTTAWA— My wife, Sharon, and I join Canadians in mourning the death of Corporal Yannick Scherrer, who was killed by an improvised explosive device while on patrol in the Panjwa’i district of Kandahar Province in Afghanistan. He was serving with 1er Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based at Valcartier, Quebec.

Corporal Scherrer answered the call to service and dedicated himself to the cause of peace, security and the rule of law in Afghanistan. He defended these principles with great courage and integrity, earning the respect of his fellow soldiers and bringing honour to the Canadian Forces and to all Canadians. His sense of duty and devotion will not be forgotten.

Canadians are united in sadness by the loss of Corporal Scherrer. Our thoughts are with his family, his loved ones and his comrades-in-arms, to whom we offer our deepest condolences.

David Johnston

-30 -

Media Information:

Christelle Legault
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0278
christelle.legault@gg.ca

Rest in Peace Cpl Sherrer.

I wish I didn't have to meet you on the ramp like this.

Pro Patria
:cdn:

Thank you Corporal. You gave your life for this country, and the nations thank you.

Saalam! Dia leat!  :yellow:  :cdnsalute:

RIP Cpl Scherrer  :salute:
You will not be forgotten  :cdn:
Condolences to Comrade's ,,, Family
and Friend's.  :piper:
Scoty B

To our fellow Canadian:

Thank you for your service, we will NEVER, ever,  forget you.  :cdn: :salute: :cdn:

*RIP*  :yellow:

News Room
Our Fallen Comrade Returns Home

MA – 11.003 - March 29, 2011

OTTAWA - Our fallen comrade, Corporal Yannick Scherrer of the 1st Battalion Royal 22e Régiment, based at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Valcartier, Quebec, will return home to Canada tomorrow.

Where: 8 Wing, CFB Trenton, Ontario.

When: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 2 p.m.

What: At the request of the family, media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Corporal Scherrer was killed after an improvised explosive device detonated while on operations in the Panjwa’i district of Kandahar Province, at approximately 12:00 p.m. local time on March 27, 2011. 

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:

Media representatives are asked to confirm their attendance with Captain Jen Jones, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, Tel: (613)965-2041 or e-mail: jennifer.jones@forces.gc.ca.

Media representatives should arrive no later than 1:00 p.m. For more information, please contact Captain Jen Jones.

As this is a solemn and formal occasion, all attending are requested to dress appropriately.

Rest In Peace Corporal Scherrer.. May we never forget the great sacrifice you made for your country and your people.

Sad loss.
Condolences to the family, friends and regiment of Cpl. Scherrer.

Back