• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl Fred Topham VC project

RatCatcher

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
this came to my attention earlier today and I beleive its a worthwhile cause.  Our military history is starting to come to a resurgence and I bleieve the loss of his medals would be a step backwards for the CFHSvs, CF and the Canadian public....

from the following website: http://www.qor.com/topham.html

The Cpl. Fred Topham VC Fundraising Project
PARATROOP VETERANS 'TAKE UP ARMS' TO KEEP
A CANADIAN VICTORIA CROSS IN CANADA

The Victoria Cross awarded to Canadian paratrooper Cpl. Fred Topham for gallantry under fire during World War Two has come on the open market for sale and veteran paratroop comrades of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion (1 Can Para) are preparing to fight to keep the medal in Canada.

"The Victoria Cross is the world's most prestigious and coveted award for gallantry and bravery in the face of enemy fire and we're 'up in arms' over the thought that 'Toppy's' medal could be bought and taken out of Canada," says Jan de Vries, of Pickering. President of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Association and Honorary Chairman of "The Corporal Fred Topham VC Project," de Vries jumped into Normandy with 1 Can Para shortly after midnight of June 5, 1944.

He says that "This is an extraordinarily important piece of Canadian history and it's our objective to raise enough money to purchase it. We'd like to see it travel to all parts of Canada so it can be displayed properly and made available for everyone -- especially the younger folk -- to see and understand its importance." The medal has been appraised at C$250,000 and de Vries says that "We hope to raise that much from as many different sources as we can -- various levels of government, the corporate world, members of the public -- to keep this irreplaceable piece of Canadian history out of the hands of a private collector, where it would never be seen again. To get the campaign underway, the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Association has pledged the first $5,000."

The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was allied with the 6th British Airborne Division and took part in the drops at Normandy, on D-Day in 1944 and at the Rhine in 1945. Topham's VC, the second- last awarded in World War Two, was the only one awarded to the 6th Airborne and this has added dramatically to its value.

Topham, who died in 1974 and is buried in Toronto, was a former hard-rock miner in Northern Ontario. He was a 27-year-old medical orderly in 1 Can Para when he jumped into Germany on the morning of March 24, 1945. The Rhine Crossing, as it became known, the last major engagement of World War Two was fought at great cost. In the drop, and the ensuing fierce firefight, 23 Canadians from 1 Can Para were killed and 40 wounded, including Topham.

For several hours, under constant attack from small arms, rifle and machinegun fire, Topham attended to wounded comrades. When two other orderlies were killed trying to help a disabled soldier to safety, Topham took over, despite being hit in the face by enemy fire. In considerable pain, but ignoring his wound, he carried the injured paratrooper to shelter, continuing to bring in other wounded troops for several more hours before allowing medical staff to attend to him. On his way to have his wound looked after, he rescued three soldiers from a burning Bren-gun carrier despite being under enemy mortar fire, as well as being in danger from the carrier's live ammunition, which began exploding among the flames.

A total of 1,354 of these rare medals have been awarded since the first Victoria Cross was presented, with 95 going to Canadians. Named for Queen Victoria, who wished to honour military and naval personnel who performed gallant deeds during the Crimean War of 1854-56, the first awards were made in 1857. Among those first recipients was another Torontonian, Lt. Alexander Dunn, a 21-year-old member of the British 11th Hussars who took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade. Since that day, every Victoria Cross, which can only be awarded for actions "in the presence of the enemy," has been made of metal taken from guns captured from the Russians in the Crimean War.

A tax receipt will be provided for donations of $20.00 and up. Cheques or money orders should be made out to: 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Museum Trust (1st Can Para Bn Museum Trust). Mailing address is: The Cpl. Fred Topham VC Fundraising Project; c/o The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada; 130 Queen Street, East; Toronto ON M5A 1R9.

FURTHER INFORMATION

Capt. Charles McGregor, 905 430 1680 (Residence), 905 718 1377 (Cell)

Lets all help out....

Cheers

Whoever is selling that medal needs to be beaten senseless. That's a disgrace. I sure hope its not a family member...

You'd think the Legion or some sort of similar organization would get involved. I am a legion member but I'm afraid I don't keep up to speed on the policies concerning things like this. Maybe someone's local MP would be interested in this?

try contacting the Patricia's  or the medicial corps as he was in the airborne . serving as a medic  either of these groups may be intrested

Yes it is a damn shame but the Legion or a single organisation could not afford the price of a V.C. as it is the most sought after Medal in the World by collectors as a V.C. can go for six figures depending on the circumstances it was awarded under.

A couple of things here (perhaps more than a couple):

The Canadian Airborne Forces Museum in Petawawa had heard that the 'family' (Topham) had put the medals up for auction up to a year ago.  I believe the dealer may be Dave Hoare.

The asking price is too much for a DND Museum to even contemplate.  ARAC, the overall Airborne Association, has some involvement in perhaps looking into purchasing the medals, but has left most of the dealing in this matter to the 1st Can Para Association.  As Topham is a prominent figure in Airborne history, it would be nice to acquire his medals for the Canadian Airborne Forces Museum, but all associations involved are very fiscally challenged.  The Canadian Airborne Forces Museum in Petawawa covers the whole history of Military Parachuting in Canada, The First Special Service Force, 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, The Canadian Airborne Regiment and other units as the CPC, Trials and Evaluations, etc.  Any hope of any of these deserving organizations raising the money to purchase a part of their history presently looks slim. 

Another issue that may have to be addressed is the fact that there are "Cultural Property" Laws in place which may save the medals from being legally sold outside the country.  Canada is a signatory of this International Law that is designed to protect and preserve a Nations cultural and historical artifacts.

GW

Who knows...perhaps someone in 1 Can Para Assoc, like Jan De Vries, can persuade Walmart to get involved.  Look what they went and contributed to the financing and developement of the Normandy Beach Memorial.  We all know the Government is not interested in promoting the presevation of our Military heritage.  Perhaps the CWM will have funds to purchase them for their new Museum to open next summer.

GW

Page A7 of the Toronto Star has an article on Ernest "Smokey" Smith at age 90, indicating he is Canada's only surviving Victoria Cross recipient.   The VC winners are being honoured with new stamps, as clearly depicted in the photo.   Now that makes me think that if Canada Post Corporation has the willingness to make stamps for the VC winners, why would they not be willing to contribute some of the money collected on each stamp to retaining (maybe even reacquiring) the VC medals.   A nice fund could be set up to acquire these medals and others as they become available.

I would suggest that the Topham fund organizers send a message about this to both the Toronto Star (while it is fresh in their mind) and to Canada Post.   I checked the Toronto Star on-line for today and this story does not seem to appear, probably because it was just a photo story.   I did snatch Richard Gwyn's e-mail address while I was there, so I will send him a note and see where that takes us.

I am certain there are a number of people that would even purchase VC stamp collector packages if they new the money was going to such a good cause.

I see that the 1 Can Para Assoc. has started a campagne to get Topham's medals and are advertising on TV.  I hope that the family are not too "greedy" in the sale of the medals and can see that the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion should be a fine resting place for his medals and the perpetuation of a fine Unit's history.

GW

George Wallace said:
I see that the 1 Can Para Assoc. has started a campagne to get Topham's medals and are advertising on TV.  I hope that the family are not too "greedy" in the sale of the medals and can see that the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion should be a fine resting place for his medals and the perpetuation of a fine Unit's history.

GW

So would a private collector, George.  Ask the  CWM about the Canadian VC that is still "lost".  Or how many VCs are kept in storage because there are no facilities to properly display them.  A private collector is just as good a repository as a national museum, if it means that the price spent ensures the artifact will be preserved for the future.  Some private collectors spend more on maintenance and security than some museums, especially government funded museums or those dependent on public donations, tucked away in armouries, hidden away on remote CFBs, etc.

On the upside, if enough money is not raised for the VC, according to a question I asked on my own forum, the monies raised will still go to the para vets.  There were a proud few on parade on 6 June this year in Ottawa, looking very smart in their maroon blazers.

Newest update,

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20041106-006/page.asp

Canadian Treasure 

On March 24, 1945 Corporal Fred Topham, then 27-years-old, threw himself into enemy fire to save the lives of dozens of wounded soldiers in Germany during the Second World War. For his courageous actions he was presented with the Commonwealth's highest military honour for valour: the Victoria Cross.

The late serviceman's award is now up for auction and Canadian war veterans fear it may end up being taken out of the country.

Topham passed away in 1974, and he and his wife Mary never had children. When Mary died the medal was inherited by more than two dozen of her relatives. War veterans are desperately campaigning to keep what they regard as the last Victoria Cross to be awarded to a Canadian, within our borders. Vets feel these medals should be used to teach children about Canuck heroes.

A collector, believed to be British, has offered the family $319,000 for the piece, but Topham's relatives have agreed to sell it to the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Association if it can come up with $275,000 by the end of the year. It was appraised, and said to be worth $250,000.

"This is a piece of Canadiana which is never going to be replicated," says Capt. Charles (Chick) McGregor. "There very likely are never going to be more Victoria Crosses awarded to Canadians. We're not likely to be in a shooting war ever (again)."

Topham was a medic and after he saw two other medics die trying to rescue a wounded soldier, he ran across the battlefield to the man's side. He was shot in the face but still managed to treat and carry the injured man to shelter. In the following hours, he saved dozens more, refusing to take treatment for his own wounds. Later, he noticed an armoured vehicle loaded with ammunition on fire, and dragged three men to safety. His relatives describe him as a humble man, who never spoke about his time in the war.

So far, the 1st C.P.B.A. has only collected $45,000. If you'd like to donate, cheques or money orders should be made out to: 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Museum Trust (1st Can Para Bn Museum Trust). The mailing address is: The Cpl. Fred Topham VC Fundraising Project, c/o The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 130 Queen St. E., Toronto, Ont., M5A 1R9.

Some facts about the Victoria Cross:

Topham's Victoria Cross is one of only 16 awarded to Canadians in the Second World War and the only one earned by the 6th Airborne Division, despite its record of heavy fighting. It's billed as the second-last Victoria Cross awarded to a Canadian in the Second World War.
All Victoria Crosses are hand-finished and cast from the melted-down bronze of guns captured by the British from the Russians during the Crimean War.
The only surviving Canadian Victoria Cross recipient is Ernest (Smoky) Smith, who was awarded the medal for single-handedly beating back a German counterattack during a battle for an Italian river crossing in 1944.

I was in contact with Lt. Col. John Fotheringham (QOR) today regarding the campaign and they have received $100,000 to date. The response has been great in the last few weeks, but there is a long way to go.

The Toronto Sun gave the campaign the full front page today in support. Here's the article:
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2004/11/16/716366.html

I have been involved with the 1 Can Para Association since producing the documentary Victory From Above. To help in the Topham VC Campaign I produced that public service announcement that is currently running on television.

If you haven't sent a donation yet, please do so! The campaign's deadline is the end of the year, and it would be a terrible sin to have this irreplaceable part of our history lost forever.

YES!
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2004/11/25/730030.html

25, 2004

VC victory!

HERITAGE MINISTER GUARANTEES FEDS WILL TOP UP FUND FOR MEDAL

By joe warmington, TORONTO SUN

CANADIAN VETERANS no longer have to fear Fred "Toppy" Topham's Victoria Cross will be sold to a collector abroad, federal Heritage Minister Liza Frulla said yesterday. "The issue is settled. The medal will stay in Canada," Frulla told the Toronto Sun in an interview yesterday. "The medal belongs to all of Canada and it will stay here in Mr. Topham's memory and all the veterans who defended us."

Sun readers, veterans and other Canadians contributed to a fundraising drive to save the medal from being sold to a collector in the United Kingdom. Frulla guaranteed her ministry will cover any shortfall between money raised and the cost of buying the medal.

"Whatever the figure is, we will top it off," she said. "I praise the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion and Sun readers who went to work to save this (medal)."

So far the Sun drive has raised more than $31,000. Yesterday alone, we received more than $6,300 in donations from our readers.

The executor of the World War II veteran's widow's estate has offered Canada the first right of refusal on the rare medal at about $275,000. Reports say a bid from England was as much as $400,000.

The heritage ministry has been working closely with the family, which Frulla says "have been terrific."

Frulla's assistant, Donald Boulanger, said fundraising will continue to the end of the month and reiterated that the heritage ministry "will cover the difference -- whatever the amount is."

Frulla said she made it clear to the vets that she would cover the difference within "48 hours" of hearing about the problem several weeks ago.

Frulla said she stayed in the background on the campaign, despite media criticism, because she knew veterans wanted to raise as much money as they could on their own first.

"I understood people wanted to be a part of it," she said.

Frulla said she has faced unfair criticism for not stepping in sooner. "We moved quite fast (on the issue)," she said.

With the new national war museum opening up in Ottawa next spring and the importance of the VC's history, there was never any way the medal was leaving the country, she said.

"I am a member of the Legion in Verdun in my home riding, where there is a military history," she said. "I would never have let that medal go."

The news went over well with campaign supporters.

"It is a great relief the federal government is prepared to step in if we ran short," said Ronald Anderson, 82, past president of the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Association. "All we want is to give it to the National War Museum so that it can be put on display for all Canadians."

Don Cherry got the news two days after writing a cheque to the fund for $500.

"Well, that's all we wanted," Cherry said yesterday. "Thank you, Madame Liza."

Toppy's distant cousin, Bob Topham from Meaford, said he's "thrilled" the VC has been saved. "We are awfully proud of that," he said of Topham's medal and contributions.

Topham was a 27-year-old medic when he ran through German artillery in March 1945 to move wounded men to safety. He did it all after being shot through the bridge of his nose.

---

YOU CAN STILL HELP

YOU CAN make a non-tax deductible, non-refundable donation of any amount in person at the reception desk of the Toronto Sun or by mailing a cheque payable to "Victoria Cross Fund," c/o Toronto Sun, 333 King St. E., Toronto M5A 3X5.

We'll turn over all money not used for the purchase of the Fred Topham Victoria Cross to the 1st Canadian Battalion Museum Trust.

LKG said:
and it would be a terrible sin to have this irreplaceable part of our history lost forever.

The fact that it resided with a British collector is hardly comparable to it being "lost forever"; its not like he would throw it into the fires of Mount Doom or something.

I'm a bit uneasy that the government had to step in, but I'm glad the VC is staying in Canada - provided it is put on permanent public display.  Don't forget the Canadian War Museum actually lost - yes, you read that correctly, lost - Konowal's VC in the 1970s.  I understand this VC will go to the Para Association?  Hopefully this will not sit in an archives somewhere, especially now that government funds have gone into its purchase.

I think my opinion is somewhat different from most but valid nonetheless....

While some are eager to raise the $275,000, I believe that it should be illegal to sell decorations at all.  When Topham was awarded the VC the intent was NOT to make his family wealthy.  So I believe the onus is not on the Canadian Government, but on those who are selling the VC.

Michael Dorosh said:
The fact that it resided with a British collector is hardly comparable to it being "lost forever"; its not like he would throw it into the fires of Mount Doom or something.

I'm a bit uneasy that the government had to step in, but I'm glad the VC is staying in Canada - provided it is put on permanent public display.   Don't forget the Canadian War Museum actually lost - yes, you read that correctly, lost - Konowal's VC in the 1970s.   I understand this VC will go to the Para Association?   Hopefully this will not sit in an archives somewhere, especially now that government funds have gone into its purchase.

That's not what I meant...if the VC left the country, it most likely would never return. That is a great loss.
The fact that a private collector is involved, that would mean that it may never be displayed in public. Another great loss.

Here is the plans by the 1 Can Para Association: to donate it to the Canadian War Museum with certain stipulations:  it must be kept on display, and not put away at some point - it must be available for public viewing since the public has paid to keep it in Canada; it must be safeguarded so that it cannot be lost or stolen (especially if it is to be taken on tour);

Worn Out Grunt said:
I think my opinion is somewhat different from most but valid nonetheless....

While some are eager to raise the $275,000, I believe that it should be illegal to sell decorations at all.  When Topham was awarded the VC the intent was NOT to make his family wealthy.  So I believe the onus is not on the Canadian Government, but on those who are selling the VC.

Don't blame the family for this. Topham's widow did not leave his medals to anyone in particular when she died, meaning that (since they can't cut the VC into pieces to divvy it up among the beneficiaries) they have to sell it to settle her estate. If it wasn't for the Topham family giving the 1 Can Para vets the chance to match the millionaire's offer, this VC would already be in his collection.
I hear the Tory vets affairs critic is writing a private members' bill that would make it illegal to sell a VC or other significant medal collection outside of Canada, which is IMO long overdue ...

Back