• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Construction Engineering Officer

Thanks for the reply Jwtg,
Yeah i understand what you mean with the hassle of being injured, and the different circumstances per injury, and im guessing i will have to go in and speak with a recruiter and possibly a Medical Interviewer early on to just clear some of that up. And about applying early, i meant in the new school year, so in September, but im looking to start my application in the summer. Already have it lined up with a recruiter to start the process this august. Thanks fo the advice.

(and in reference to my knee, my doctor says that after a full year of recovering time, the potential of happening again goes down, and with every successing year it should get better. So all i can do is hope for the best, and hope the medical goes smoothly.)

Hi everyone, I'm an undergrad in Civil Engineering who is very interested in joining the Canadian Forces.
I have a few questions, though, about the nature of work as a Construction Engineer. It would be fantastic if you guys could take a couple of minutes and help me out here.

1.My eyesight isn't very good. In fact, I can only see shapes without much details if I don't wear a pair of glasses. Would this completely kill my chances of joining the army?

2.To become a Professional Engineer in Canada, I would need 4 years of related work experience under a Professional Engineer. Do you guys know whether working as a Construction Engineering Officer in the army would count toward that time?

3.Usually, how long do I need to serve in the army before I am free to go? If I want to continue to stay, is there a limit for how long I may actually stay?

4.I have not been working out much, but I'm determined to do what my job may require me to do. So what exactly are the requirements for becoming an Engineering Officer?

That's all the questions I have for now. Thank you guys so much for your time and patience!

In regards to eyesight my vision personally looks alot like a water colour painting at any distance (i believe its 20:300 or so) and I managed to get in (though I qualify as V4). The only person who can give you an accurate perception as to if your vision is good enough or not is the medic or medical officer who decides it. Hope this helps

yuze said:
My eyesight isn't very good. In fact, I can only see shapes without much details if I don't wear a pair of glasses. Would this completely kill my chances of joining the army?

In case you have not yet seen it, you may find this topic helpful:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31590.0.html

yuze said:
1.My eyesight isn't very good. In fact, I can only see shapes without much details if I don't wear a pair of glasses. Would this completely kill my chances of joining the army?

Maybe, maybe not. The people who can answer that to 100% accuracy (the only answer that matters) are not here.

If I want to continue to stay, is there a limit for how long I may actually stay?

Yes, there is a limit. 55 years of age.

4.I have not been working out much,

Start. Now.

Eaglelord17 said:
The age limit has been increased to 60, this happened several years ago

No.

Members are allowed to elect to have CRA set to 60 but that does not create an entitlement to serve until 60. There's a difference there and it is one that will become increasingly important as the CF seeks to retain only certain people past age 55.

yuze said:
2.To become a Professional Engineer in Canada, I would need 4 years of related work experience under a Professional Engineer. Do you guys know whether working as a Construction Engineering Officer in the army would count toward that time?
Yes, I do know.  Thanks for asking.

... and in answer to the question that you wanted to ask: yes, provincial engineer licensing bodies do recognize engineering work within the military for the purpose accumulating the required work experience.

Dnolte said:
Hey,

I am graduating from college in April from a Civil Engineering Program at a good college in Hamilton, ON.  I have some questions about a military option.

After graduation, the Canadian RMC offers a 2-year degree option for a actual civil engineering degree, rather than a diploma.  From what I read, you do two years of (paid?) college, and for every month of free tuition, you give back 2 months back to the CF.  So for 16 months of RMC, 36 months in the military.  The job my discipline is suited for is Construction Engineering Officer.

My question is, as an officer, after school, after basic, what is life like for someone in this discipline?  Do we still do PT every morning? Are there scheduled hours? Will working in the Air Force give good jobs skill if someone chooses to go to civilian life after they serve their required time? Basically, what is a typical day for in this discipline?

If you going to tell me to "refer to older posts" give me a hint, because I've been searching for hours and my clicking finger is tired.

Thanks.

Is that degree completion program a real thing? If so where can you find info on it?

I hope this is the appropriate forum section. If not, please redirect me  :)

I will be graduating this semester with a bachelors in Civil Engineering and have been looking into the opportunities for a DEO engineer in the CF as an officer. I have been a NCM Reservist for almost a year now and I like what little exposure I have to the military life. Although I have been lurking this  army.ca for awhile, I haven't found any direct answers to a few questions I have:

1) By going Reserves to Reg Force, will my application process be shorter? Will I have to release and start the process all over? Do security clearances carry over?

2) I am interested in the Construction Engineering Officer position. I understand that the work may be less technical and more administrative, but will this experience truly be applicable to civvie side if the need arises? Will I be at a disadvantage for careers after the Forces in engineering? What is the job like? My greatest fear is that if I choose to release I will be  back to square one; this the reason why I look more into CEO trade an Engineering Officer.

3) After BMOQ and CAP, what additional courses are taken for this position?

4) While it is listed under the AF, is it more of a purple trade?

5) As for postings, is the CEO trade applicable to all bases? My family is from the Kingston area and while I understand that I will be away from home for the beginning of my career, what are the chances that I am able to return to Kingston down the line in my career and remain there? (a naive question, I know)

6) As either a commissioned or non-commissioned member, what is the lifestyle like at home with the family? Is your partner's career hindered by the CF? I have a long-term girlfriend who is to be a nurse and I am worried that her professional career would never progress if I was constantly moving around.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wilki249 said:
I hope this is the appropriate forum section. If not, please redirect me  :)

I will be graduating this semester with a bachelors in Civil Engineering and have been looking into the opportunities for a DEO engineer in the CF as an officer. I have been a NCM Reservist for almost a year now and I like what little exposure I have to the military life. Although I have been lurking this  army.ca for awhile, I haven't found any direct answers to a few questions I have:

1) By going Reserves to Reg Force, will my application process be shorter? Will I have to release and start the process all over? Do security clearances carry over?
Probably won't be shorter

2) I am interested in the Construction Engineering Officer position. I understand that the work may be less technical and more administrative, but will this experience truly be applicable to civvie side if the need arises? Will I be at a disadvantage for careers after the Forces in engineering? What is the job like? My greatest fear is that if I choose to release I will be  back to square one; this the reason why I look more into CEO trade an Engineering Officer.

3) After BMOQ and CAP, what additional courses are taken for this position?
You will do BEOC/CEOC 1.1 and 1.2

4) While it is listed under the AF, is it more of a purple trade?
Not really, it's an Air Force trade only, but you may be in charge of Green guys and Blue guys.

5) As for postings, is the CEO trade applicable to all bases? My family is from the Kingston area and while I understand that I will be away from home for the beginning of my career, what are the chances that I am able to return to Kingston down the line in my career and remain there? (a naive question, I know)
Anything is possible

6) As either a commissioned or non-commissioned member, what is the lifestyle like at home with the family? Is your partner's career hindered by the CF? I have a long-term girlfriend who is to be a nurse and I am worried that her professional career would never progress if I was constantly moving around.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I answered what I could for you.

Speaking as an engineer on the civilian side of things, any experience you get will be useful when you decide to leave the CF. Event though your opportunities on the design side may not be as diverse as they would be on the street, your project management skills will be well developed. And a good project manager is worth a lot both in the consulting side as well as the contracting side (and contracting PM's can earn a pretty good salary).

And your experience in the CF as an Engineering Office regardless of the actual trade will still be applicable to your period as an EIT.

Good luck and all the best in your future career.

NFLD Sapper said:
I answered what I could for you.

Thank you for answering as much as you could. Much appreciated!

cupper said:
Speaking as an engineer on the civilian side of things, any experience you get will be useful when you decide to leave the CF. Event though your opportunities on the design side may not be as diverse as they would be on the street, your project management skills will be well developed. And a good project manager is worth a lot both in the consulting side as well as the contracting side (and contracting PM's can earn a pretty good salary).

And your experience in the CF as an Engineering Office regardless of the actual trade will still be applicable to your period as an EIT.

Good luck and all the best in your future career.

I'm grateful for a perspective like yours.  I understand that the design side may not be as well exercised; luckily I enjoy the management side a little more. Contracting  is what I hope to get to eventually.

I did see that the experience could be used for P.Eng in another post. Only difficulty may be finding a P.Eng to supervise me but it's great to know it's a possibility.

I'm just trying to gather as much info, experience, and accounts from both sides before I pick one path or the other. As it stands, my current course of action is to continue with my trades training this summer with the PRes to see if I really know what the lifestyle is about.

Thank you, guys. Hopefully, a few others post too.

I am just starting the process of the possibility of DEO route as a Construction Engineering Officer.

I am looking for information too as to what to expect.

At the posting, do officers live in Barack- like accommodation?

Who pays for that?

Do new in-take get paid while in training?

Back