• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constructing the CCG Hero class [Merged]

The CCGS Hudson is 55 years old, and in poor condition...

An equally important question is why is the government so bad at replacing boats.

Heddle does about the same quality of work as any other marine contractor in Canada.

Pretty sure gov't will find way to sole-source to Davie if they really want to:

Finnish company raises red flags over federal negotiations for Davie icebreakers

A Finnish company is questioning the Trudeau government’s decision to launch negotiations with Quebec shipyard Davie for the lease of four icebreakers without conducting a formal competition.

Helsinki-based Arctia Ltd. says it had expected a competition after the federal government asked shipowners in late 2016 to provide information about the icebreakers they had available for lease [see 2016 post on that below].

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau instead surprised many when he announced this week that the government would start talks with Davie, which has proposed to convert four icebreakers and lease them to the Canadian Coast Guard.

Trudeau’s announcement followed an intense lobbying campaign by the Quebec government, and came despite Davie’s central role in the RCMP’s investigation against suspended Vice-Admiral Mark Norman.

Arctia president Tero Vauraste says his company has six icebreakers readily available for the coast guard [emphasis added], and that holding a competition is the best way to ensure best value for Canadian taxpayers.

Vauraste says that while it is too early to say whether a deal between the government and Davie would violate procurement laws, the new free trade deal between Canada and the EU includes provisions on procurement.

Public Works and Procurement Canada did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/finnish-company-raises-red-flags-over-federal-negotiations-for-davie-icebreakers

About Arctia position:

The Finnish shipowner Arctia Ltd. is moving forward to support Canada in icebreaking and towing services. The company has responded to the Canadian Government’s Request for Information and Industry Consultation for Interim Icebreaking and Towing Capability for the Canadian Coast Guard, and continues to follow the tendering process. Arctia’s purpose-built icebreaker fleet is promptly available, and can serve the Canadian industry and Arctic communities within weeks.

7219622dd9b999629980807186ee6387.jpg

“We were quite surprised yesterday reading the news stating that negotiations will be launched with one interested supplier for the conversion and lease of existing supply vessels. We have understood that the open tender for interim icebreaking services is still open and does not cover any conversion costs“, states Tero Vauraste, the President and CEO of Arctia Ltd.

Arctia Ltd. participates in the Canadian Government’s tender for interim icebreaking solutions. The company is ready to charter its icebreakers to the Canadian Coast Guard and explore cooperative solutions to help Canada avoid the so-called icebreaker gap within the formal purchasing process. The Government’s public tender issued in November 2016 states that the Canadian Coast Guard may require additional icebreaking capacity provided by one (1) to five (5) icebreakers at various times over the next number of years.

“We have extensive experience in the North American Arctic. All our icebreakers have diesel-electric propulsion and they are designed specifically for challenging and long-lasting icebreaking operations. They need no conversion for operations in the Canadian Arctic. This is a clear advantage compared to our competitors. We are the only operator in the world that can provide multiple powerful heavy and medium heavy polar class icebreakers promptly and on a commercial basis“, Vauraste explains.

Arctia Ltd. is a Finnish shipowner specialized in icebreaking, ice management and towing. The company currently has eight icebreakers in its fleet, including IB Polaris, the first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) powered icebreaker in the world. Finnish multipurpose icebreakers have been proven effective in the Canadian Arctic. Just this July, the Finnish MSV Nordica transited the Northwest Passage (NWP) from Vancouver, Canada, to Nuuk, Greenland, in 24 days with researchers and a Canadian Coast Guard officer on board. This transit set the record for the earliest crossing of the NWP. The Nordica now holds the records for both the earliest and latest season transits of the NWP.

Along with the Nordica, its sister vessel MSV Fennica has served in ice management tasks in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas in 2007 and from 2012 to 2015. Arctia’s converted IB Otso has worked on the north-eastern coast of Greenland...
https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/11295-Arctia-Ltd-ready-to-support-Canada

2016:

Davie Québec Actually Going to Supply Some Icebreakers for Coast Guard?
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2016/11/18/mark-collins-davie-quebec-actually-going-to-supply-some-icebreakers-for-coast-guard/

Mark
Ottawa

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/david-icebreakers-shipyard-quebec-1.4494182

Looks like Davie is going to be supplying leased icebreakers.

My oppiniom, this will probably be a good thing.

They've got several ice breaker out of service right now, and some of the remainder aren't particularly reliable.

CCGS Cygnus taking on water, enroute to St. John's...

http://vocm.com/news/coast-guard-vessel-en-route-to-st-johns-reportedly-taking-on-water/

Rumor is the Atlantic Kingfisher has reached her, and she's still headed to St. John's under her own power.

Can't figure what could have gone wrong, for the life of me. She is barely 37 years old, and still has that new ship smell.  ;D

Seriously, though: She looked better in Fisheries Grey. Just my  :2c:

Meanwhile in US (our fed governments are lamentable at looking after their core responsibilities--but USCG still needs funding from Congress):

RFP For New Coast Guard Heavy Icebreaker Expected This Month

The request for proposals to build the nation’s next generation heavy icebreaker is expected to be released by the end of the month, the U.S. Coast Guard commandant said on Thursday.

Speaking at the annual WEST 2018 conference, Adm. Paul Zukunft wouldn’t comment on how much money the fiscal year 2019 budget dedicates to the icebreaker, but did say, “It does provide funding for an icebreaker, at least in the draft, so that provides the confidence level that industry needs.”

Previous estimates put the cost for the first heavy icebreaker cost at about $1 billion.

Five vendors are expected to submit proposals for the first-in-class ship. Zukunft said ultimately the Coast Guard wants to buy six icebreakers – three heavy and three medium icebreakers. Zukunft has previously stated the new heave icebreaker is scheduled to launch in 2023.

“We haven’t built one in 40 years,” Zukunft said.
“It’s an investment in our shipbuilding industry here in the United States.”

The Coast Guard’s lone workable heavy icebreaker — USCGC Polar Star (WAGB-10) — spends about 300 days on missions or in a maintenance yard. A second heavy icebreaker, USCGC Polar Sea (WAGB-11), is used as a [parts donor to keep Polar Star seaworthy.

But, Zukunft acknowledged there’s been some debate about whether the Coast Guard is better off only buying one type of icebreaker, the heavies, and buying fewer of them – four instead of six.

“We know if you have a hot production line the unit costs come down, then you build a new product, that new product is more expensive than what you’re already building,” Zukunft said. “We’re still looking at six as the right number.”...
https://news.usni.org/2018/02/08/31241

Of course until now main use of USCG big icebreakers has usually been in Antarctic.

Whilst Seaspan is to build one (only) CCG heavy icebreaker sometime in mid- to late-2020s never never land.

Mark
Ottawa

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Can't figure what could have gone wrong, for the life of me. She is barely 37 years old, and still has that new ship smell.  ;D

Seriously, though: She looked better in Fisheries Grey. Just my  :2c:

Her step-sister ship, the CCGS Cape Roger, nearly sank at the wharf 5 years ago when she rusted through under her stern tubes.

It was arguably a stroke of good luck when it happened, she was scheduled to be on fisheries patrol, but ended up in the harbour after damage was found on her life boat.

A whole host of chickens coming home to roost it seems. They could ask Seaspan to build a 4th OFSV to help fill the gaps.

OFSV's are too slow and not really appropriate for fisheries enforcement on the Grand Banks.

Unfortunately, the OPV/MEMTV's are scheduled to be built after the Diefenbaker. Though, If there is a break in construction - and Seaspan claims there is after the third OFSV, then perhaps one or two of the OPV/MEMTV can be snuck in.

But please: Don't delay the JSS's or Diefenbaker as a result.

I doubt the Cygnus can reach here design speed of 16kts anymore, the OFSV are stated as 12.5kt max. Slow yes, but they are new and can conduct some of the tasks. Actaully building a 4th won't take to long as they are moving quickly on the 2 remaining OFSV and might even have layoffs till the next build. I would offer up anther idea, but the Hero boats kind of suck. They could buy back the John Jacobson (which the ccg should never had sold)

CORIOLIS_II_IMO-_8818570.jpg

Colin P said:
They could buy back the John Jacobson (which the ccg should never had sold)

Is it for sale? Even if it were, it's 28 years old.... anything past 30 years and you're pretty much at the end of the reliable service life for a vessel.

I realize the government is operating plenty of vessels older than 30 years right now, but most are in desperate need of replacement.

Colin P said:
I doubt the Cygnus can reach here design speed of 16kts anymore, the OFSV are stated as 12.5kt max. Slow yes, but they are new and can conduct some of the tasks. Actaully building a 4th won't take to long as they are moving quickly on the 2 remaining OFSV and might even have layoffs till the next build. I would offer up anther idea, but the Hero boats kind of suck. They could buy back the John Jacobson (which the ccg should never had sold)

CORIOLIS_II_IMO-_8818570.jpg

Problem is, Colin, if you give the Coast Guard a new but less capable vessel to do a task "in the meantime", it will end up being the vessel doing that job until it is retired 45 years later and deprive the CG of a proper vessel to do the job. How long do you think the Coast Guard will retain those "interim" icebreakers Davie is about to refit of use by the Coast Guard? ;)

As slow as the current offshore vessels are on the East coast (16 to17 knots), you want the next generation to be better and faster, not slower and merely adapted for the task. If you go in the NSPS thread, I just finished a long post that touches on what I think should be done concerning the Coast Guard East coast patrol capabilities.

17kts is plenty fast for a displacement vessel, trying to get past that, means climbing against and breaking through your own bow wave. Unless you go long and skinny, with thirsty engines like the USCG  Island Class Cutters.

Tons of OPV designs out there in the 21 to 25 knots range without gas guzzling power curves.

But in any event, you don't need to go over 12-14 knots to get there and back. You need the extra speed when you are trying to catch someone in the act or engage in a reasonably short "hot-pursuit".

Anybody remembers the Turbot War?

Colin P said:
God you make me feel old, I still think of these as "newer"........ :'(

They are "newer", that's why the coast guard is in this mess ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
How long do you think the Coast Guard will retain those "interim" icebreakers Davie is about to refit of use by the Coast Guard? ;)

Don't knock the new lease boats yet... they may turn out to be a pretty good option... of course, it could turn out to be a terrible idea...

The Aiviq at least (I can't find any details on the others) should have another good 23 years of service in her... I'm guessing unless they've got problems during the lease period, they'll end up buying her outright... an ice-breaking AHTS is a pretty good "all-purpose" vessel for the coast guard... the Terry Fox has worked out well during her service life

Aside from being an ice breaker, she's also capable as an off-shore tug, and she'll likely have an oil recovery system installed, so a good option for off-shore pollution response, and she's capable of laying bouys where her draft permits.

She'll probably be a pig for fuel though, and they may have some difficulty in maintenance up-front, as it's several generations ahead of what they're used to.

It's got potential at least.

Don't get me wrong, Not a Sig Op, I am not knocking the Davie interim vessels. I am hinting at the fact that when the Coast Guard gets them and they relieve some of the river icebreakers, the CG may just decide to keep them, retire the older icebreakers and conveniently forget to work towards getting actual future replacements - restarting the whole cycle of urgent replacement at a later date.

Absolutely agreed... wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if in 2046, we're reading about the Aiviq limping her way into port, with no replacement in sight.

Not much political will to plan for anything past a 4 year election cycle.

Would be pretty great if they can keep some of this ship-building momentum going...

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Tons of OPV designs out there in the 21 to 25 knots range without gas guzzling power curves.

But in any event, you don't need to go over 12-14 knots to get there and back. You need the extra speed when you are trying to catch someone in the act or engage in a reasonably short "hot-pursuit".

Anybody remembers the Turbot War?

Most of the speedy designed patrol boats come with a cost, the Island Class the USCG used started suffering from cracking, because most fast patrol boats suffer from light scantlings, needed to keep them from being to thirsty. The reason the CG has not gone after fast patrol craft, is because they are generally 1 trick ponies and don't do weather well. The R class rolled like pigs.

Colin, I am not talking about fast inshore boats like the Island class and R-boats "dinky-toys" you mention. I am talking about offshore vessels that can face the Grand banks, in the same 1500 to 2400 tons range as the current Coast Guard such vessels I mentioned above, but faster.

Quick examples (and all of these can be either Coast Guard or military versions as need be)[photos in order of mention]:

French L'Adroit, 1500 tons, 21 Kts;
Canadian design/New Zealand operated Otago, 1900 tons, 22 Kts;
Damen design 1800 Axebow, 1800 tons, 26 Kts;
British River class batch 2, 2200 tons, 24 Kts.

Attachments

• 300px-French_Navy_Offshore_Patrol_Ship_P725_Adroit.jpg
    300px-French_Navy_Offshore_Patrol_Ship_P725_Adroit.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 375
  • MC_10-0422-015_-_Flickr_-_NZ_Defence_Force.jpg
    MC_10-0422-015_-_Flickr_-_NZ_Defence_Force.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 388
  • OPV_1800.jpg
    OPV_1800.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 379
  • OPVinfographic.jpg
    OPVinfographic.jpg