• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conflict in Darfur, Sudan - The Mega Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SFontaine
  • Start date Start date
Has China ever participated in any UN mandated missions??

GAP said:
Has China ever participated in any UN mandated missions??

This (nearly 18 months old) is from People's Daily and is reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act:

http://english.people.com.cn/200412/27/eng20041227_168796.html
Six Chinese servicemen died in UN peacekeeping operations: white paper

In the past 14 years, six Chinese servicemen lost their lives and dozens wounded in United Nations (UN) peacekeeping operations, says a white paper issued by the Information Office of the State Council on Monday.

China has consistently supported and actively participated in the peacekeeping operations that are consistent with the spirit of the UN Charter, and will continue to support the reform of the UN peacekeeping missions, hoping to strengthen the UN capability in preserving peace, says the white paper titled China's National Defense in 2004.

According to the white paper, China has sent 3,362 military personnel to 13 UN peacekeeping operations since its first dispatch of military observers to such operations in 1990.

At present, 845 personnel from the People's Liberation Army are working in eight UN peacekeeping task areas, including 66 military observers, three staff officers at the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations, and personnel in engineering, medical and transportation units to Congo (Kinshasa) and Liberia.

Since January 2000, China has sent 404 policemen to the peacekeeping operations in six UN peacekeeping task areas, the white paper says.

China devotes itself to promoting international security dialogues and cooperation of all forms in accordance with the purposes and principles of the UN Charter, says the white paper.

In recent years, China has intensified strategic consultation and dialogues with countries concerned in security and defense fields, and vigorously pushed forward the building of a security dialogue and cooperation mechanism in the Asia-Pacific region.

The nation has also established military relations with more than 150 countries in the world, says the white paper.

How about China being on our side?

I don't Korea is a good example of that, I think the Americans' butts still hurt from the first bit of their involvement in that war.

If they would just bloody help us out, it could seriously help calm down and cool relations with them.

**Edit**  Woops, for once I did not read the post before mine, terribly sorry.

Piper: You might like to look at this guest-post at "Daimnation!"

"The Grizzly road to Darfur" (Nov. 18)
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/005238.html

Mark
Ottawa

I cant see anything good coming out of a force in Darfur.
As Edward mentioned above their are two options 1) a force that does nothing 2) a force that changes the gov't and destroys the janjaweed.

If #2 is chosen it will (IMHO) further alienate the African and Muslim/Moslem world.

I hate to say it - as I am a large interventionalist - but I do NOT think this is a well spent use of Canadian power.

IMHO (and a more cold blooded approach) would be to equip the Rebels (Christians) and send in SF teams from the West to train their forces (FID).  Keep the force capabiltiy levels similar between both factions - and then partitian the nation.

Khartoum is 680 km from salt water.

Darfur is 1480 km from salt water and you have to go past Khartoum to get there.

US Navy is not going to be able to supply a lot of support.

Countries neighbouring southern Sudan are: Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Democratic Republic of The Congo,  Central African Republic and Chad.

Chad is the nearest mounting base but it is land locked and 1500 to 2000 km from salt water.  It would be necessary to fly over Libya, Nigeria or Sudan to get there.

The Chad border is 2-300 km from the Darfur camps as I understand it and the nearest mounting base in Chad is a town of 95,000 known as Abeche.

EnCarta has this to say about Abeche.

Abéché is in a sheep-raising and farming area and has a meat packing plant. The town was the capital of both an independent sultanate in the 16th century and the Wadai kingdom in the 19th century. Abéché was a notorious slave-trading center for Arab and North African slave systems for roughly 300 years.

© 1988-1998 Microsoft and/or its suppliers.  All rights reserved.

Given that Eritrea, Ethiopia, Uganda, the Congo, and the Central African Republic are all rather "fragile" right now the only other mounting base would be Kenya.  The Kenyan border is 1500 km from Darfur and 1100 km from the port at Mombasa with limited or no direct road access.

By comparison Qandahar is waterfront property.

Why does anything good have to come out of stopping the janjaweed in the Darfur area other than allowing people to live?

At some point the UN has to grow something resembling a spine. All I have seen in the last year has been related to how Sudan has continually blocked UN aid to the darfur region, in one form or another, meanwhile the janjaweed continue the genocide. Just stopping the genocide would be a good first step, and if they have to step on some Sudanese toes in the process, so be it.

There are already UN African peacemakers/keepers assigned to Sudan, but it seems they don't want to upset the regional politics by forcing their way in, therefore they need someone with no Vested Interest other than humanitarian to lead.

Maybe it doesn't need to be Canada specifically, but a composite of western/European forces heading it up, preferably with some "Muslim" nations picking up the slack. If the majority of wealthy Muslim nations want to be recognized for something other than their natural resources, then they too have to start having some major input into helping out the nations with an Islamic population.

I agree with you entirely on the need for something good GAP.  It should be enough to stop the killing.

But if the locals don't respect borders and can't bring themselves to challenge their own rebels that cheerfully ignore said borders,  if they can't bring themselves to act against a humanitarian crisis, what makes you think that they will accept any outsiders coming in.

I venture that any member of the OECD,  the wealthy western nations, would be viewed with suspicion as having vested interests, even Canada. Remember we have had our own oil companies in the area and the Muslim community generally seems reluctant to let outsiders intervene.

Where do you find
someone with no Vested Interest
?

Without the buy-in from at least one of the neighbours, somebody willing to upset any and all of the rest of the neighbours by joining with an outsider, how could you mount and sustain a long-duration operation?  Just think of the troubles the Americans are having in Iraq or the Brits have in Northern Ireland.  It doesn't take many bodies to create confusion and the area necessary to patrol is immensely greater.

my bad...forgot about the Canadian Oil Companies.

Some background on the difficulties facing intervention:

"Darfur: Preston Manning provides a corrective to John Ibbitson's do-gooding hubris" (April 7)
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/006211.html

Mark
Ottawa

Would I be totally out of line to sugest that the UN should hire on a PMC *cough*Blackwater*cough* to go in, and protect civilian interests/kill ak wielding janjaweed? Train the local christians who are getting slaughtered, donate some milsurp from south of the boarder then go from there.

It has been said already in this thread, putting a wrench in the early stages on a country wide genocide by killing off the janjaweed would go along ways to fixing the problem without throwing idiotic ammounts of money at it.

Just out of curiousity, but how is this different than bombing the hell of Belgrade to get the Serbians to stop murdering Bosnians in places where we couldn't put boots on the ground?  Are the Darfurians somehow worth less than the Bosnian Albanians?  Or is the Arab Government in Khartoum not as responsible for this genocide as the Serbians in Belgrade?

Or is this another example of us having different sets of rules for dealing with muslims "because they might get upset with us"?

Matthew.  ???

You could be right Matthew, but I hope you're wrong.

I think one of the differences militarily is that the bombing campaign in Yugoslavia could be followed up by a ground force.  In addition the aircraft could launch from the Adriatic and Aviano in Italy requiring a flight of only 400-600 km each way, some portion of which was secure territory.  That is about the distance into Khartoum from the Red Sea but the people we want to protect are another 900 km beyond that.  What do we do if the guys in Khartoum run TOWARDS the refugees and away from the sea?

I think it's because the ghosts of Somalia and Rwanda have not yet gone away enough for a Cdn Govt to contemplate a real "boots on the ground" A**-kicking mission yet. Those ghosts have louder voices than the ghosts of the janjaweed's victims.

Second, we are (helloo-o!) heavliy committed to trying to do a good job in Afgh: all the advice the military has offered Cdn govts in the last few years is to stop spreading us around so thinly.

Finally, I think there is some uneasiness about the possibility that mostly white Canadian soldiers might be seen killing mostly black opponents, even if  the opponents are actually partially or mostly Arabic. Too much like the "bad old days of colonialism". Much better that Africans slaughter each other.

Cheers

This guest-post at "Daimnation!" might be of interest:

"Darfur update: Somebody please tell Jack Layton about this"
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/006239.html

Mark
Ottawa

I dunno about you guys, but when I see this sort of EVIL happening and no one in the world seems to give a damn enough to do something about it, I get mad.

Forget the politics for a second. Are the people of Darfur's lives worth less than any other lives in this world?

What is our humanity really worth then?

HF:

Wanting to do something and being able to do something are not the same thing.

I think most folks here WANT to do something but it seems to be an open question as to what can be done....and, as importantly, what can be done effectively.

Dallaire commenting on Darfur............"Danger Will Robin danger danger".....( for those of you too young to remember that its hard to explain) remember the last time that guy had anything to do with troops and africa. We dont need his comments on any military subject except how to.....na forget that, no subject. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but after the sustained whining from several directions, I'm looking forward to:

1) A parliamentary debate on our aims in Darfur, and
2) A vote at the end of said debate

prior to any commitment.  I want to know what conditions will be deemed "success; bring the troops home" and more importantly, I want to know how much time and many lives lost the Opposition parties will accept before they start muttering about bringing the troops home.  And the House had better damn well be full for as long as the debate takes.

Back