• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Concerns about the RN's new Assault Ships

I notice how the author points out that the Ministry of defence didn't enforce their workmenship standards due to a new ":equipment procurement processes" (translation, cutting corners to save money). Also noted, is that the project was rushed to replace the ancient HMS Fearless (She was going to be sold/retired just before the Falklands war circa 1981) for the â Å“War on Terrorismâ ?.

IMHO, it sounds more like the cheapness and tardiness of the two governments (in regards to replacing kit) shares more in common than the two projects in terms of quality.........Who is the enabler after all?

Oh yeah, I agree completely ... but not too many gov'ts stay on top of the things he has listed. That is the job of naval engineers and licenced tradesmen etc. I would like to think that pride in workmanship exists, and it probably does to a certain extent. But here's the rub .... tradesman employed in the industry need steady, reliable work to provide their families with a good life, and they just aren't getting that with MoD or DND contracts. The result is that the contractors and fitters are left with a mixed bag of a small number of high seniority professionals and a large number of inexperienced transient workers who live project to project, industry to industry.   They are not being given the sense of opportunity to conclude they  have a vested interest in the final project, and for many, they would much rather be doing something else.  

Kinda sad for a country that once had the world's largest fleet, controlled the oceans and were the world's master ship builders.

Actually during the 1700-1800s the RN preferred ships that were usually French dutch or Spanish prizes.

Back