• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Roger123 said:
Thanks for the information BUCK_HRA. Does the medical factor in at all. For example, would a V1 categorization as opposed to V2 help your application, even though you passed all medical tests but scored above the requirement?

No your medical does not factored into scoring.

The Medical Category is broke up into 6 factors: Vision, Colour Vision, Hearing, Geographical, Occupational & Air Factor; as long as someone meets the minimum requirement for the occupation they're wishing to join is all that is important.

During the Competition/Selection process all they know is whether someone is medically cleared for the occupation, not what the actual medical category numbers are.

Hello, I’ve been in the recruiting process for 13 months now for NCM Infantry.

I was put on the Competition List during the beggining of September this year and haven’t got any calls yet. Around October I called my RC and was told it should be around the end of November I get that call.

What I’m wondering is if there will be any more selections occurring this year for Infantry? A few people told me there would be one on December 6th and there was one on November 22nd. Is it normal to be on the list for this long when applying for Infantry?

Thanks in advance!

SteviePete, with recruiting where your file is in the competitive mix changes as new people are added into the competition list.  I know of people who've been waiting years to enrol and I also know of individuals who received an offer in under 6 months; it all depends.

There is not a selection happening today, however I know there will be at least one more happening prior to Christmas break.  Please keep in mind that it can take up to 2 weeks after a selection has occurred to receive notification that you may have been selected.

I just got on the competition list for DEO ACSO. My recruiter told me there are no spots left for this year but he's not worried and said I would still get in. He said they can take a spot from next year's fiscal year. How accurate is this? I just want to know if I still have a shot for this year or if I'll be waiting til the next fiscal year.

Gondolin said:
I just got on the competition list for DEO ACSO. My recruiter told me there are no spots left for this year but he's not worried and said I would still get in. He said they can take a spot from next year's fiscal year. How accurate is this? I just want to know if I still have a shot for this year or if I'll be waiting til the next fiscal year.

Good Day,

Generally the Selection team doesn't "lean" forward into the next Fiscal Year for DEO occupations. 

What happens is that the "first" selection for the 2018/2019 Recruiting Cycle for DEO will happen mid-February.  They are using the numbers for 2018/2019 and you would be placed on Basic Training in 2018/2019; but could potentially receive an offer by end February 2018.

I can tell you that between now and mid-February there is very little likelihood that an ACSO selection using 2018/2019 numbers would occur.

Good morning everyone, How many spot are open for Martech thanks for your reply

Buck_HRA said:
Good Day,

Generally the Selection team doesn't "lean" forward into the next Fiscal Year for DEO occupations. 

What happens is that the "first" selection for the 2018/2019 Recruiting Cycle for DEO will happen mid-February.  They are using the numbers for 2018/2019 and you would be placed on Basic Training in 2018/2019; but could potentially receive an offer by end February 2018.

I can tell you that between now and mid-February there is very little likelihood that an ACSO selection using 2018/2019 numbers would occur.

Thanks for the info, Buck. So there won't be anymore ACSO selections using the 2017/2018 numbers?

Gondolin said:
Thanks for the info, Buck. So there won't be anymore ACSO selections using the 2017/2018 numbers?
For 2017/2018 all positions for DEO ACSO have been filled.

Buck_HRA said:
Good Day,

Would that general timeline apply for NCM unskilled applicants as well?

EADAM(I like this site: five star) said:
Good morning everyone, How many spot are open for Martech thanks for your reply
As of today's date there are approx. 20% positions remaining for MAR TECH Unskilled.

TPrudhomme96 said:
Would that general timeline apply for NCM unskilled applicants as well?
Yes, for the most part the only selections occurring prior to mid/late February for 2018/2019 are for subsidized education (ROTP, MOTP, DOTP, SEELM & NCM-STEP).  2018/2019 selections for all other entry plans normally don't start occurring until early March at the earliest.  There are exceptions to this, but for the most part leaning forwarding doesn't occur.

Hello! I am at the end of the recruiting process for Med Tech and  I’m wondering if you know what the intake numbers are for 2018/2019? I know the trade was “in demand” when I first applied in August, but I’m not sure if it still is. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering if anyone knows when do you hear about ROTP nursing officer selection?
I've been told by my recruitment office that I am now on the competition list, but does anyone know approximately how long it takes for selection?

Cheers everyone

Good day Buck,

So I learned last week that I am on the competition list, I'm not sure when I was added to the list but it's sometime between mid/end December and last week. Late December you listed the AWS trade at less than 1% position left, and during my interview early December, the officer told me there was a AWS selection board scheduled for Jan 17 2018...I'm not sure if the board actually happened, and I'm not even sure if my file was on the competition list when/if the board took place. Based on the above I am more expecting to be part of the FY 18/19 intake. I understand you mentioned, to the best of your knowledge usually new FY selection don't start until early March for NCM (I applied as NCM with BMQ bypass, so i guess that's semi skilled program?) would you happen to know how many position is available for AWS FY 18/19, and if by any chance there is still opening for FY 17/18?

Thank you very much for your time

Very respectfully

Hali_13579 said:
Hello! I am at the end of the recruiting process for Med Tech and  I’m wondering if you know what the intake numbers are for 2018/2019? I know the trade was “in demand” when I first applied in August, but I’m not sure if it still is. Thanks in advance!
Hali, you've already posted this query (and in the right forum).  Posting the same question in multiple threads is against the Conduct Guidelines here.  Please go so your other post for my answer.

mfraf said:
I was wondering if anyone knows when do you hear about ROTP nursing officer selection?
I've been told by my recruitment office that I am now on the competition list, but does anyone know approximately how long it takes for selection?

Cheers everyone
Names will be coming out shortly.  Anyone selected for ROTP Nursing Officer should know by the first week of March.

Ex00324 said:
Good day Buck,

So I learned last week that I am on the competition list, I'm not sure when I was added to the list but it's sometime between mid/end December and last week. Late December you listed the AWS trade at less than 1% position left, and during my interview early December, the officer told me there was a AWS selection board scheduled for Jan 17 2018...I'm not sure if the board actually happened, and I'm not even sure if my file was on the competition list when/if the board took place. Based on the above I am more expecting to be part of the FY 18/19 intake. I understand you mentioned, to the best of your knowledge usually new FY selection don't start until early March for NCM (I applied as NCM with BMQ bypass, so i guess that's semi skilled program?) would you happen to know how many position is available for AWS FY 18/19, and if by any chance there is still opening for FY 17/18?

Thank you very much for your time

Very respectfully
Semi-skilled means you have a diploma for that particular occupation that will grant you partial "credits" towards your first trade course.  BMQ already being completed means you'll be enrolled as "RSBP".
For 17/18 there are no more AWS Tech positions remaining, as of today's date for 18/19 there are a tentative 23 positions for AWS Tech (please note that this number is not finalized and subject to change).

Been going through this forum but am still a little confused with regards to applications with multiple trade choices and selection. Lets say you have three trade choices, A, B and C. You have progressed through the application process and cleared ready for selection for all three. Does your name enter the selection pool whenever selections occur for any trade? For example, trade C is your 3rd choice. Does this have any bearing when selections are made for Trade C? What happens if selections are made for all three trades on the same day? Is your application up for consideration for all 3? Or if selections are staggered and projected for Week 1 -A, Week 2-B, and Week 3-C. Assuming they go through as projected, does your name show up in each selection pool if you are not selected in prior selections?

Hello,

I was wondering what my chances were for obtaining a post for Intelligence Operator? I spoke with the recruiter about it and he spent our time informing me about officer positions, not Operator. He said I scored well on the Aptitude test and that I had a good chance to get a position in Int Op but we only had a few minutes of time to talk time and we never got a chance to go in depth about everything. I'm worried that I will be waiting a long time to actually get an offer for int op...

Roger123 said:
Been going through this forum but am still a little confused with regards to applications with multiple trade choices and selection. Lets say you have three trade choices, A, B and C. You have progressed through the application process and cleared ready for selection for all three. Does your name enter the selection pool whenever selections occur for any trade? For example, trade C is your 3rd choice. Does this have any bearing when selections are made for Trade C? What happens if selections are made for all three trades on the same day? Is your application up for consideration for all 3? Or if selections are staggered and projected for Week 1 -A, Week 2-B, and Week 3-C. Assuming they go through as projected, does your name show up in each selection pool if you are not selected in prior selections?

Don't look at your choices as #1, #2 and #3 (i.e. #1 is your favourite, and you'd consider doing #3).  You have be as willing to do job #3 as you are doing job #1.  The selections for occupations are not staggered; the selections are grouped (i.e. ROTP selections happen together, DEO selections happen together, and NCM selections happen together).

How the selection happens though is that with your score (CFAT, TSD, Interview) in occupation #1 you might be listed as the 60th person; in occupation #2 (same score but different trade) you're 89th; and occupation #3 (same score different trade) you're the 10th. In that case you're going to be selected for trade #3 as you're best suited for that occupation according to your score and the other individuals applying for that occupation.  So yes your name will show up on all 3 lists, but you'll be selected for the one you're scored highest in.

Kram222 said:
Hello,

I was wondering what my chances were for obtaining a post for Intelligence Operator? I spoke with the recruiter about it and he spent our time informing me about officer positions, not Operator. He said I scored well on the Aptitude test and that I had a good chance to get a position in Int Op but we only had a few minutes of time to talk time and we never got a chance to go in depth about everything. I'm worried that I will be waiting a long time to actually get an offer for int op...

It's hard to tell you online what your chances are.  It depends what your education is, how you score on the CFAT/TSD, how you do on the interview.  Getting into the CAF is a competitive process.  For the most part if you're only spending a "few minutes of time" in a CFRC and you have a university degree the recruiter will speak with you about applying as an Officer.  However at the end of the day you need to select an occupation that you're going to enjoy; so if you think you'll enjoy being an Int Op that's what you should be putting on your application.

Buck_HRA said:
Don't look at your choices as #1, #2 and #3 (i.e. #1 is your favourite, and you'd consider doing #3).  You have be as willing to do job #3 as you are doing job #1.  The selections for occupations are not staggered; the selections are grouped (i.e. ROTP selections happen together, DEO selections happen together, and NCM selections happen together).

How the selection happens though is that with your score (CFAT, TSD, Interview) in occupation #1 you might be listed as the 60th person; in occupation #2 (same score but different trade) you're 89th; and occupation #3 (same score different trade) you're the 10th. In that case you're going to be selected for trade #3 as you're best suited for that occupation according to your score and the other individuals applying for that occupation.  So yes your name will show up on all 3 lists, but you'll be selected for the one you're scored highest in.

It's hard to tell you online what your chances are.  It depends what your education is, how you score on the CFAT/TSD, how you do on the interview.  Getting into the CAF is a competitive process.  For the most part if you're only spending a "few minutes of time" in a CFRC and you have a university degree the recruiter will speak with you about applying as an Officer.  However at the end of the day you need to select an occupation that you're going to enjoy; so if you think you'll enjoy being an Int Op that's what you should be putting on your application.

My apologies for my lack of clarity. Want I meant to ask was, how many openings are there for the Int Op position? That is what I am hoping to go into. My concern is that there are only a few openings and the selection process will be too competitive to be successful. I understand that there are many factors that I need to take into consideration that are on my part to move forward through the process. I was concerned more with the availability. During the open discussion at the recruitment center, after the aptitude test, the recruiter stated that there were very few positions available for Int Officer and that any one hoping for that position may need to wait quite a while to obtain it due to availability. Later I spoke, briefly, 1 on 1 with the recruiter and asked about the Int Operator positions and he stated that it was competitive, however with my high scores on the aptitude test (they wouldn't tell me the actual score) I should keep Int Op as my choice. He didn't say more.
I left the conversation feeling happy that I did well but later realized that I forgot to ask for specifics on position availability.

Hoping to hear back soon.

I remember seeing the preferred and minimum requirements for Intel Ops recently. If my memory serves me correctly, the preferred education for the trade is an university degree. This struck me as strange, given that it is for a NCM.  But as always, the CFRC is the best place for recruitment 'intel'.

Back