• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compassionate Status

I don't know the entire situation, but if your kids are in the Borden area, how about asking for a change of home port to Halifax?  It isn't Borden but it is a heck of a lot closer.

Do some research on a Contingency Cost Move (or Cost Contingency Move). This is like a compassionate posting, but totally not. It is a posting that will solve a problem. A compassionate posting is where you must go somewhere to stay in order to solve a problem, whereas in a CCM, the posting itself solves the problem. It doesn't place restrictions on your career and comes from a different posting allowance. It is worth investigating, as I don't think a compassionate posting is the best idea for you. Your MS is right, you are going to want to save that for down the road.

Chadk

I find your situation parallels with mine own, though Edmonton is not Borden, I wish to return to Victoria via AVOTP to Steward...Guess what I'm Army Supply. What is the big difference is my family is only divided with two kids in Victoria and 3 in Edmonton. 

Feel Free to PM me.

I was wondering ref compassionate status. If a Member meets the requirement of compassionate status, gets the support and necessary documents required, has anyone ever seen it turn down by a CO? Who is the final authority? Is it the Career Manager?

Hamish Seggie said:
Then why are some people in the same geographic location for more than 15 years? A person I was on course with has spent virtually his entire career in Ottawa flipping from one directorate to another.

Easy even if you don't want to. I am an army sup tech and I just finished 14 years in Edmonton. Just had my First geo posting recently. I echo that its going to be getting worse with the financial situation the way it is.

Side note, Edmonton was never one of my posting preferences.

I read the policy 5003-6, it does answer some questions. One question that is not answered is, can one ask for compassionate Status for the same reason twice?
  The Policy only mentions about Contingency Cost Move, that is can't ask twice for the same reason. Does anyone have any insight on this?

off the top my understanding is that it only happens once as you are supposed to resolve the issue within that period.  If you are asking again then you did resolve it.

CountDC said:
off the top my understanding is that it only happens once as you are supposed to resolve the issue within that period.  If you are asking again then you did resolve it.

The situation was resolved for several years. The issue at hand is my daughters health. Her medical condition like many other conditions is unpredictable.

I just want to throw this out there. Many people may or may not know this. Social Workers in the CAF are told to treat Compassionate Posting, Contingency Cost Move and Compassionate status the same. Despite the differences in the three, the criteria for all is the exact same. I personally thing this is crap. If I am not mistaken, Compassionate Posting and CCM requires an actual posting to a different geographical location. Compassionate Status may or may not come with any posting. There should be three different criteria, one for each. Apparently many social workers have told Mbrs that they have a social worker handbook that is off limits to CAF Mbrs that outlines decisions regarding this policy 5003-6. If this is true, then why not make it assessable to CAF mbrs.
I should add, that compassionate posting does not mean you have to employed in your current trade. Most people are not aware of this. The only reason I knew is because I read Grievance decision that stated the above.https://www.canada.ca/en/military-grievances-external-review/services/case-summaries/case-2015-110.html

If this is the case, then shouldn't this DAOD 5003-6 be re-visited by the Policy Makers to be more clearly defined?

Back