• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

MdB said:
Believing pbi, if I'd be in PPCLI, I would anyway be posted in the Ontario/Quebec/N-B area. Would the other way around the same? Be in R22eR, I would be posted in Ontario/N-B a lot, even in the west?
not "would be", could be.

As for linguistic discrimination, I've worked for Francos (both Commisioned and NCM) in both Anglo regts. There's teasing, but certainly no actual discrimination based on something as immaterial as what language you speak, or plumbing you have. It's how you perform, that matters.

paracowboy said:
not "would be", could be.

Thanks, an instant of inattention.

paracowboy said:
There's teasing, but certainly no actual discrimination based on something as immaterial as what language you speak, or plumbing you have. It's how you perform, that matters.

That's what I like with the Army, meritocracy leads. As long as you do the job and perform... from what I read, discrimination is based on performance, not on gender or language. Again, the Army is inherently a competitive organization and those who abhor competition need not apply.

Edit: spelling.

RCA said:
The problem with Shilo being...
THERE IS TO MUCH POLITICS HERE. IF YOU DON'T FALL IN CERTAIN CLICKS THEN YOU'RE ALONE. THERE ISN'T TO MUCH FOR A SINGLE PERSON HERE TO DO, UNLESS YOU LIVE IN BRANDON BUT THATS A 25 MIN DRIVE OR ELSE IT'S A 40 DOLLAR CAB RIDE FROM SHILO TO BRAN ONE WAY IF YOU WANT TO DRINK. THE FEMALES HERE ARE USE TO US NOW BUT IF YOU SAY YOU'RE IN THE ARMY IT'S PROBABLE SHE HAS SLEPT WITH SOMEONE YOU WORK WITH.

from the outside wanting in, here's what I'm hoping for:

1 or 3 PPCLI - Edmonton would be my first choice for place to live, but...
R22eme - my first choice for regiment, only because from what we hear out here, they're the crazy-ass "do-anything" crew...
1 or 3 RCR - Petawawa over Gagetown, just a preference
2 RCR - Gagetown over Shilo
2 PPCLI - Shilo over MARS  ;D

Having never compared the actual bases of these places, I can't comment... just based purely on cities to live vs. requirements for my misses vs. perceptions from the outside, this is where I'm coming from as someone VOTing into the Infantry...

I recently put in my CT and chose PPCLI over RCR.  My reasoning for this is that I'm from Ontario, and love it, but I wanted to go out west, PPCLI just seems to be a badass unit, and I see myself leaning towards the cowboy side of PPCLI than the annal side of RCR.  As well, 2 PPCLI has the next roto after the VanDoos, so that was another big factor in choosing PPCLI. But who knows, I may not even get to 2VP.  Oh well, I do and go where I'm told, so it doesn't really matter because I can't control what the final outcome is.

Have a good one,

Link

I'm just curious but what do you know about the anal side of RCR? how long have you been in the reserves? Also you still have to do battle school since your RCA right now anyway,

Infantry_ said:
I'm just curious but what do you know about the anal side of RCR?

I need to interject here - I have to say that I heard about how anal the RCRs were before I ever set foot in a recruiting centre - some things just can't be hidden.  ;D

yup.... the stories do run....
Same as the chicken thing :D

I have nothing against RCR, I originally intended on joined them anyways, but I figured I wanted to go somewhere else than Petawawa, or live somewhere different than I have all my life.  All I know about RCR and PPCLI is what I've read on here and what buddies from those regiments have told me.

My job offer was made with the condition of going to the RCR.

I had not even considered Afghan rotation when I choose RCR, I just wanted to be close to home so I could drive (not fly) home during holidays and what not.

Is it possible to switch my regiment of choice?  Is there even any point with the possibility of the new rules of 9 month one time only tours (meaning I could get there sooner then later as they look for more infantry)?

Any advice?  I'd hate to do 3 years and not see a deployment.

Many on these forums have changed Regiments.  If you are Cbt Arms, you should have no fears of not having the opportunity to go on Tour.

George Wallace said:
Many on these forums have changed Regiments.  If you are Cbt Arms, you should have no fears of not having the opportunity to go on Tour.

I don't even start BMQ for another 10 days.  Maybe I'll try and bring it up during enrollment tommorow.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather go sooner then later.  If the RCR are there now, when could I expect to go?  Will they start mixing different elements of the regiments *if* those new rules go through?  How does that all work?

Sorry, for the newb questions.  I havn't really found a thread on here yet that helps me with that.

DirtyDog said:
I don't even start BMQ for another 10 days.  Maybe I'll try and bring it up during enrollment tommorow.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather go sooner then later.  If the RCR are there now, when could I expect to go?  Will they start mixing different elements of the regiments *if* those new rules go through?  How does that all work?

Sorry, for the newb questions.  I havn't really found a thread on here yet that helps me with that.
don't worry about it. Stop blasting away at the 300 meter target. You haven't even zero'd at the 25 meter mark. Get through Basic first. Then focus on Battle School. THEN worry about deploying.

paracowboy said:
don't worry about it. Stop blasting away at the 300 meter target. You haven't even zero'd at the 25 meter mark. Get through Basic first. Then focus on Battle School. THEN worry about deploying.

Oh yea, I've got a LONG way to go and I suppose I am getting just a *little* ahead of myself.

I am trying to think of the future though and make any relevant decisions I need to make now.... if it's the case that I need to (doesn't sound like it).

If i can be honest, if it wasn't for Afghanistan right now and the overall upped operational tempo of the CF, I probably wouldn't have signed up.  However misguided or naive my motivations are for wanting to get to Afghanistan, it is my ultimate goal at the present.

DirtyDog said:
Oh yea, I've got a LONG way to go and I suppose I am getting just a *little* ahead of myself.

I am trying to think of the future though and make any relevant decisions I need to make now.... if it's the case that I need to (doesn't sound like it).

If i can be honest, if it wasn't for Afghanistan right now and the overall upped operational tempo of the CF, I probably wouldn't have signed up.  However misguided or naive my motivations are for wanting to get to Afghanistan, it is my ultimate goal at the present.
just chill, dude. Make your plans based on what is best for you right now, with an eye towards your future. Don't even worry about Afghanistan, or other deployments. Afghanistan isn't going anywhere, I don't foresee an immediate break-out of World-wide Peace. I guarantee you're going to go SOMEWHERE, in your first contract. You have the right attitude, but don't get too wrapped up in tours and such right now. Think about why you want to be based somewhere - family, education, adventure, etc. No matter which Bn, no matter which Regt, you WILL deploy sometime.

DirtyDog said:

DD,

in the current ROTO, There are RCR from Petawawa and PPCLI from Shilo already on the ground and there are some R22R heading over within the next month..... lots of room for all the regiments.

Armoured types have concentrated the Leo capabilities in one Armd unit, as the other units head over & provide RECCE capabilities, they will have no choice but to call on the Strathconas for Leo trained personnel.

DON'T KNOW ABOUT 1PPCLI, BUT 3 PPCLI TREATED THEIR NEWLY-RETURNED AFGHAN VETS LIKE CRAP. 

The Six said:
DON'T KNOW ABOUT 1PPCLI, BUT 3 PPCLI TREATED THEIR NEWLY-RETURNED AFGHAN VETS LIKE CRAP. 

With a statement like that, I hope you can provide a couple of "for instances" to enlighten all of us. What did they do?.................

The Six said:
geo said:
With a statement like that, I hope you can provide a couple of "for instances" to enlighten all of us. What did they do?.................

How about filling out your profile to start.

Back