• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Army Phase

Marksman said:
As a reservist atending RMC, will I be put on a reg force or a Pres CAP?, anyone have any idea on that one ???

Hey Marksman,

There is no Pres CAP anymore, only the Reg force CAP. I did it last summer and it is a pretty tough go but a great time nonetheless. It seemed to me that they liked to keep the RMC candidates together, (not sure if it's on purpose, or they all get loaded at the same time) so hopefully you will get loaded with your classmates. Good luck

There are some great threads about CAP here.  I'd like to revive this one with a quick question.

We are currently wondering about moving the whole fam-damily out to New Brunswick when I hit CAP. 

I am wondering about:
  • CAP length (I heard they were shortening it due to the changes in BOTC), and
  • Weekends... off or on?  ...Or is it the same "you might get the weekend off if you're good boys and girls" type stuff.

...Generally speaking is it worth the while?  There are great reasons for my wife and son to stay where they are now.  If I'm just going to be on the base for 3 solid months it might be better for them to remain here.  If I can see them every weekend (after a while) they would rather come along.

Any help is appreciated.  Thx.

Length - 11 weeks.  Haven't heard anything about shortening it but everything changes fast.

Weekends on/off - depends on your staff.  Generally weekends off, unless you're in the field, which happens during the patrolling/defensive module (I think it's now Mod 4).

Is it worth moving your family?  Probably a personal decision.  It may well be a huge distraction to have them around when you won't have a ton of time to spend with them, but really it's up to you.  You may as well keep them where they are if their lives are stable where they are.  They're going to have to get comfortable with separation anyhow.  There's normally a long weekend in there, which is when most of the people I was on course with went off to wherever to see their families, or brought them out to New Brunswick.

These threads are amazing, everything I ever needed to know about CAP....

I'm a reservist, just got in.

I'm out as well this summer for the entire 5 modules.  I am wondering if the dates have been posted yet, or if anyone has any idea when they will finish.  I'm off to do a weekend GMT in March/April, followed by a short BMQ (I think) in May.  I've been told this a couple of weeks of phase one, although no one is quite sure.  It's then directly off from the May training to CAP, which is where the questions come in.  I understand that last year CAP ended very early in September, but as I'm back in University in late August I was hoping that I could get on course by the first week of June (the 4Th?) finishing up the 17Th of August.  Although, if there is a May start date that would be great as well...

I'm brand new to army.ca, a big thanks out to all those answering these queries.

S.C.

From what I understand, there is 2 courses this year, one 04 June 07 - 16 Aug 07, Then from 18 Jun 07 - 31 Aug 07.
I also understand, (someone correct me if i am wrong) that CAP is in Alershot this year, not Gagetown (which I was surprised to hear)
There was also talk that that they revamped the whole shooting match to prepare officers for the "Sandbox" Can anyone verify this?

Hmmmm.  Should have read the whole thread before responding to a post that was 2 years old!

s.cradoc said:
These threads are amazing, everything I ever needed to know about CAP....

I'm a reservist, just got in.

I'm out as well this summer for the entire 5 modules.  I am wondering if the dates have been posted yet, or if anyone has any idea when they will finish.  I'm off to do a weekend GMT in March/April, followed by a short BMQ (I think) in May.  I've been told this a couple of weeks of phase one, although no one is quite sure.  It's then directly off from the May training to CAP, which is where the questions come in.  I understand that last year CAP ended very early in September, but as I'm back in University in late August I was hoping that I could get on course by the first week of June (the 4Th?) finishing up the 17Th of August.  Although, if there is a May start date that would be great as well...

I'm brand new to army.ca, a big thanks out to all those answering these queries.

S.C.

There were three Cap serials last year.  One ended in July, the other in August and the other in December.  It sounds like you are on the May to August one.

CAP for RMC types in 2005 started end of May - probably the same now.

Although there are several CAP serials throughout the year, the "busy" season is from around 28 May to 10 Aug (2007) for this year.  There may be a variation by one week or two, either way, but that is the "standard" window.  Yes, RMC ends later and starts earlier than civvie U, but your advantage is that you have more time to "get ready" for training in May (and April, when classes end) :D

(I know, I lived that life for 4 years when I went to UWO in London: Go Stangs Go!)

Piper said:
So on average, start time is late-ish May?
The dates I gave are the dates for the majority of the summer run courses.  Due to a variety of things (including CAP being mandatory for all army officers now, instead of just the combat arms as it was when I went through), CAP is run year round now at the Infantry School.  So, as an ROTP/UTPNCM officer candidate, you can pretty well bank on those dates.  Press your ULO (if such a thing still exists) for a course loading message.  Granted, I usually didn't get mine until a week prior to course starting.  But, back then, they were only run during that time. 

Piper,

A new training schedule just went up in our lounge today (maybe yesterday). I will check it in the morning and see if it goes to May. We are already planning our summer training schedules for all UT's here, so I know the Lt will have the dates squirreled away. I'll post asap.

See you in Gagetown.

Wook

Edit: Our schedule here says 22 May 07, course starts. Can't wait.

This is great, a cheers to everyone.

If I understand this correctly, I'm able to get on for a possible 22nd of May start date.  I'm wondering the difference between GMT, and BMQ if anyone happens to know.  Is the GMT is really necessary, as I'll be doing this shortened version of BMQ (I've been told about 20 days?) come May.  This was I figure if I can get into BMQ by the 1st of May, I can jump directly into CAP for the 22nd of May, with a finish around the 31st of July for my courses this summer.  I've got an early start date for Uni in August, I wanted to make sure that I'm back in time.

S.C.

You mention GMT and BMQ, which I do believe are for NCMs only.  CAP is for officers in the army, and stands for "Common Army Phase".  I don't know what reservists do prior to CAP.  They used to call it RESO...

They do BMQ first (with NCMs) - which I think is wrong but what do I know - then on to a course that basically covers what RESO did in terms of leadership and battle procedure/small party tasks, then on to CAP.

Well,  untill recently I understood that Officers did Basic officer training course BOTC I & BOTC II then did CAP.  BMQ can be used to subsitute BOTC I.  There has been a change to the name BMOQ.  I have no idea what is going on with BMOQ for BOTC II, but I know that CAP is required for all.

I thought RESO was an entry plan for reservists.

All I know is I'm looking forward to CAP this summer.  :warstory:

Zell_Dietrich said:
Well,  untill recently I understood that Officers did Basic officer training course BOTC I & BOTC II then did CAP.  BMQ can be used to subsitute BOTC I.  There has been a change to the name BMOQ.  I have no idea what is going on with BMOQ for BOTC II, but I know that CAP is required for all.

There is no BOTC I and BOTC for the Reg Force, but many people have used these terms (probably because they were once used that way).  From what instructors told me, BOTC was the old name for all of "Phase 1". 

In the Regs, Phase 1 consists of IAP (Initial Assessment Phase) & BOTP (Basic Officer Training Phase)  & (apparently now) SLT (Second Language Training).
So, in a sense, BOTC = IAP & BOTP combined.  & I suppose now, SLT (where required).

When I was looking at enrollment in the PRes, I was told that I could either join a RegF IAP/BOTP course during the summer, or tag along for  BMQ with the NCMs and have that qualify as my IAP,  since BMQ is an equivalent for IAP.  BOTP on the other hand Id still have to do in some other form or another.

Is this BMOQ supposed to be IAP, BOTP and SLT all combined into one? Or is it just a PRes creation, or just rumint?

OKAY! Here in 39CBG at least, ALL officer candidates will do BMQ when ever the course is available. the Second course for a PRes officer currently is BOTP2. This course was being runned out of Gagetown in the CTC Inf School for the past several years. The third course is CAP. All of this will complete the PRes Officer (Land) and Purple trades Phase I training. After this is up to the respective trades to handle their trainings.

Does anyone know for sure when the CAP course will be run this summer.  (FOR SURE)?

Thanks

Back