• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"COMBAT SCHOOL" Starts on Discovery Channel 10 Mar 09

Bzzliteyr said:
It's just such a preventable thing.. that it frustrates me.

I have the same issue sometimes with movies about the military and war. Really, how hard would it be to have an ex-military troop to overlook and smooth out some of the outrageous, unrealistic things movies sometimes portray.

We'd go into detail... too much detail to entertain the masses

2 Cdo said:
I have the same issue sometimes with movies about the military and war. Really, how hard would it be to have an ex-military troop to overlook and smooth out some of the outrageous, unrealistic things movies sometimes portray.

Most war-type movies have military advisors on the set. The thing is that they just "advise" and the "hollywood factor" always trumps everything else.

Couple years ago, I have watched a "left wing" documentary on CBC about connection with Hollywood movies and US military as well with video game industry as a tool for recruiting and military public relation. They were suggesting a strong military lobbying in movie industry. Also, they lower the cost of renting military stuff (field, soldjer, equipment) if a military advisors is allowed to polish the script.

However, the documentary had a strong message against the military so I don't give them 100% credits.

I have to add that I am not part of the new world order conspiracy team, if anyone was wondering about.
;)

I have read in a couple of places that the US Army bankrolled many War films during WW1 and WW2.

Prviate Snafu i just one easy to find example of the Armies ties to Hollywood. 

Really good, it gave a good idea about leadership skills in action ! Good job !

I was looking to see if the first episode was available on the internet yet.  Still nothing :(

I had the first episode PVR'd and started to watch it.. my gf called and I'm no longer sure if I got to finish it but I deleted it without thinking.

Does anyone know how episode one ends?  Do the taliban win? Do they save the free world from impending doom?!?

I'll never know and I plan on watching episode 2 soon.  I need continuity!!!

Here is the first part of episode 1, but I don't know where to find the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_FqogzSJIs

I liked when the young Lt 'couldn't contain himself' and made the run for the mosque...only to have the MCpl O/C take him out.

Better to learn those lessons in tng.  I thought the Lt was showboating alittle too much for the camera. 

Unfortunately due to absurd circumstances, I currently only have access to American stations so I cant catch the re-runs.

If anyone finds where the rest of the episode can be watched I would greatly appreciate the link.

Eye In The Sky said:
I liked when the young Lt 'couldn't contain himself' and made the run for the mosque...only to have the MCpl O/C take him out.

Better to learn those lessons in tng.  I thought the Lt was showboating alittle too much for the camera.

He showboatted it to the max (within professional guidelines).

"Where'd that round come from!? Hey! Where'd the round come from!?"

Most likely, if you've been shot, you don't question where the round came from, but rather if you're going to live or not.

The crew constantly got in the way in Bliss. Hell, half the time we had to check fire in the tanks when they were around.

AFAIK they were told to play it up a bit.

As for asking where insurgent fire is coming from...it happens on a two way range, it happens a lot more than you think...regardless of rank.

As for the end of the story...they're all here in Afghanistan with us, taking it to shyte heads everyday.

Regards

Looked like damn good training to me.  The guys had to be switched on to get it done.

Kudos to the training cadre  . . . not a lot of glory but they'll save a lot of lives.

Great show, I've really enjoyed the episodes I've seen so far!  I wonder with 'Jet Stream' coming out at the beginning of 2008, 'Combat School' coming out at the beginning of this year.....could Discovery be planning a naval version for the beginning of 2010  ;)

It would be interesting to see a series about a ship going through work-ups for a deployment.  Anybody hear any scuttle-butt about the latter?

was watching the series last night.
Interesting when a glitch in the system created a situation where the platoon suddenly had some 40+ casualties to deal with..... later "fixed" to a manageable 5.

Back