• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

least appealing......?
always on the go. Our family is relatively small and the demands upon us are huge
(never a dull moment)

Rouge said:
Hi Sappe6

Certainly had not considered looking at it from this point of view (flame war).  I was interested in hearing something like "You'll find yourself doing __________ often enough".  I thought the same question in the infantry thread was informative and funny so I was interested in hearing what the engineers would answer.  Having said that; maybe i'll come back to answer my own question about the trade in a few years. 

Thanks,
Rouge

Rouge,

Fair enough.  I just thought that if we make this thread a whine-fest, it just invites everyone to jump in and get stupid= flame war! 

Recommend you PM Kat Stevens if you want both the good and the bad of being a Cbt Engr.  He can also put you on to others that can give their opinion. 

S6

There is enough work in an engineer outfit that there is rarely something unappealing, and I guess it is a very individual thing. I spent 9 years as a self proclaimed "Combat " engineer ( there is a thread about the term field vs combat somewhere) and for me the least appealling, or most unappealling thing was when I came back to 2 CER from the Light Engineer Troop (Airmobile) and the regiment had been Germanyized. The sound of banging track with a sledgehammer never appealled to me. Sharpening shovels? Not so much, either, Recoiling sh1tty old barb wire? Yucky. Banging in a crooked 6' picket? Torture. I got posted to Resources troop right before I remustered, and I thought that sucked, but I garbaged all the mangled rivetting, crapqy wire, crushed blueberry mk 21 mines and bent pickets i could. when I was done, the unit was about 2 tons lighter!

I had the opportunity to work with the School of Military Engineering back in the 80’s. they were a great bunch of guys. I would say the biggest thing that sucks about being a Combat Engineer is that their will never be enough of you to fulfil the demand and never the right equipment or time to do the job the way it should have been done. If you get into mine clearance, it can be a very lonely job.

They have always had my respect.

I'm a reservist and coming up on 30yrs now and have load's of reg time and the big bitch as Geo stated is no family time.
Case in point,came off tour and back a week just  relaxing,playing ball at the Regiment and the warning order's came out for Ex's in Wain after leave!
Other than that we all enjoy the life of a F.E. because it's all way's changing with new challenges to adapt to and over come.

:cdn: hey guys, im just graduating from high school and have passed my aptitude test and waiting to do the rest, and im going for combat engineer, i was just wondering if some of you could answer a couple questions i have, first, i live in nova scotia now, where do ya think i would get posted? and how often do com engineers go away on tours (i.e afghn, bosnia, etc) and whats a normal day for a combat engineer while in canada, i have a ton of questions these are only a few, but any help would be greatly appreciated, and it could help me out with my interview too :)

anyways thank you for any help guys , and if you know anything else about this trade that u think might be helpfull to me, please feel free to say it--------jake          :salute: :salute: :salute:

Jake, have you checked the Engineer thread?
all this material has been discussed "ad nauseum"
while I have no problem discussing new material, rehashing material that has been well discussed in the past is a bore.

I will provide you with the initial thread:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html

you should also think about using the site's search engine......
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

lots of things to read.
take your time - we can talk once you're done.

Have a good day & talk to you soon

(BTW - the english CER /CSR units are in 4 ESR - Gagetown, 2 CER - Petawawa, 1 CER Edmonton. and there is always 5 RGC in Valcartier (where anglos are always welcome)

:cdn:hey, thanks for the reply, guess i should have read deeper before i put my 2 cents out there, but im new to this site, and i was more or less trying to get the hang of it (using the site)  but if anyone has anything to help me bout my interview, it would be great, and do i have a big say in where i get posted? pretty sure this wasnt covered or maybe i dont know where to look, but thanks for the threads Geo they were great help,
cheers----Jake :salute:

big jake said:
:cdn:hey, thanks for the reply, guess i should have read deeper before i put my 2 cents out there, but im new to this site, and i was more or less trying to get the hang of it (using the site)  but if anyone has anything to help me bout my interview, it would be great, and do i have a big say in where i get posted? pretty sure this wasnt covered or maybe i dont know where to look, but thanks for the threads Geo they were great help,
cheers----Jake :salute:

NO !!

Jake,
While you may ask for a posting base/unit, the needs of the service will take precedence on your request.... If you want to be posted to 4ESR and they are (for some bizzare reason) full up while 1 CER out west is hurtin for sappers.... you're going west young man.

(note - if you want to go to Valcartier - yes - you can go to Valcartier)

:cdn: thanks Geo, i wouldnt mind living in quebec, do you have to have a french speaking background? oh and anohter question for you guys, im a former army cadet, where you can jump up the ranks pretty quik, i no thats not the case for the reg force, but how long does it usually take to get promoted from rank to rank in the combat engineers? oh and anyone can tell me the pros and cons of going west or going in valcartier it would be awesome too!!!
    thanks for all the help greatly appreciated-----Jake  :salute:  :salute:

I hope there is nothing least appealing about being a combat engineer.  Why? Well five years ago, I basically encouraged him to go engineer.  To date, he is still speaking to me.  :eek:

big jake said:
  :cdn: thanks Geo, i wouldnt mind living in quebec, do you have to have a french speaking background? oh and anohter question for you guys, im a former army cadet, where you can jump up the ranks pretty quik, i no thats not the case for the reg force, but how long does it usually take to get promoted from rank to rank in the combat engineers? oh and anyone can tell me the pros and cons of going west or going in valcartier it would be awesome too!!!
    thanks for all the help greatly appreciated-----Jake   :salute:  :salute:
French background?... Nope - just a willingness to work in french AND english

Cadet service might gt you your 1st pay incentive 6 months early.....depending on what qualifications you might have had.

promotion oportunities?....well - it's a matter of the training you undertake and your availability to attend courses while working up for missions & taskings...
Cpl in 3 years ..... and then it's at the needs of the service.

thnaks Geo, sounds awesome, im not great at french tho my last name is LaPierre haha, but ive been to valcartier once with cadets, and it was amazing!, ill try to look up that 6 monthes incentive pay early thing too, i got a lot of training with cadets, ive been overseas and all over canada. how long would it take once im done bmq til i go over seas somewhere, and i was just wondering if combat engineers get like an increased pay while on a tour over there, thanks again for all the help im trying to gain all the knowledge i can for my interview and so i know what to expect, im really excited about going com engineer!!!
thanks--jake  :salute:  :cdn:

big jake said:
thnaks Geo, sounds awesome, im not great at french tho my last name is LaPierre haha, but ive been to valcartier once with cadets, and it was amazing!, ill try to look up that 6 monthes incentive pay early thing too, i got a lot of training with cadets, ive been overseas and all over canada. how long would it take once im done bmq til i go over seas somewhere, and i was just wondering if combat engineers get like an increased pay while on a tour over there, thanks again for all the help im trying to gain all the knowledge i can for my interview and so i know what to expect, im really excited about going com engineer!!!
thanks--jake  :salute:  :cdn:

I have a real good idea.  Try looking around this site for a while......maybe even use the search feature that is provided.  Everything you have asked in the above post has been answered , answered, answered and answered again !!  Think of it as a school research project and DO YOU OWN FREAKIN REASERCH !!!

ya your right aesop, this site does have most of that stuff i can look up, thanks for the tip bro, if i need any more help that i coudnt find, ill ask after looking
  thanks again--Jake  :salute:

I am not sure, but a lot of this information seems to be more pertinent to NCMs than officers. Would an officer also be doing similar things or is it completely different? Thanks in advance.

Well, usually they meet about 0900, water the hounds and saddle up the horses.  by about 0930 they clear the first gate, and the cry goes up that a fox has been spotted around 1000.  The hounds are released, and games afoot!  Usually the hounds bring the poor little creature to earth by approx 1100.  A leisurely ride back to the lines, after toasting Mr Todd of course.  A quick lunch of cold pheasant and champagne, then a change of mounts for a few rounds of polo.  More champers, then back to the drawring room for brandy and cigars.  Hope this helps.

OK Sappers, I've got some more questions if you don't mind:

Do you have a choice in what parts of the trade you want to focus on? For example, can you specify that you want to play more of an "assault pioneer" role as opposed to a "construction" role?

Do all Sappers have to do mine clearance and IED disposal? Is there extra pay when performing dangerous EOD?

In your opinion, why are there rention issues and shortages in this trade?

I'm trying to get an idea as to what my life will be like after the initial training. I know is hard to say where I will be posted...but how soon will I be eligible to be deployed in AFG ?

First, assault pioneers play amateur combat engineer, NOT the other way 'round.
  Second, you will do mine clearance/EOD work if you're tasked to do so, full stop.
  Third, there are retention issues for Sappers just like all other arms, blistering operational tempo, coupled with equipment shortages due to 40 years of ruthless budget slashing. It tends to grate on a troop after a while.

Back