• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat engineer trade/real world experience

1911CoLt45

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello

I was just wondering what type of real world working experience would be an asset in the combat engineer role.  I have a heavy equipment operators licence / worked as a carpenter for a number of years framing houses and buildings and was wondering if any of these trades would be a benefit to the trade at all if I were accepted for the job.

You would have to redo the heavy equipment courses to our standards........

Thanks for the post

I did my course with Caterpillar.  What would be the different in civy training apposed to military, except for the obvious different vehicles and uses. 

Well for starters blackout operations... i.e. not using your flood lights and using only nvg's......

Did Cat teach you the procedure for anti tank ditching, single and two machines?  How about vehicle pits?  Fighting trenches?  Bunker complexes?

nope , the course with CAT was pretty terrible.  But this is why im asking about what you guys do, and by the sound of it, it sounds good. 

Kat Stevens said:
Did Cat teach you the procedure for anti tank ditching, single and two machines?  How about vehicle pits?  Fighting trenches?  Bunker complexes?

Don't forget obstacle breaching too Kat......

1911CoLt45 said:
nope , the course with CAT was pretty terrible.  But this is why im asking about what you guys do, and by the sound of it, it sounds good.

And that is what we are showing you........

1911CoLt45 said:
I have a heavy equipment operators licence

1919Colt45, for your reference, these are the responsibilities and qualifications of HEO's:
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/hr/jobs.nsf/73d8f37fbff29b7385256fe0003ff434/c817473acb3a8a2e85257574006d8378?OpenDocument

This is for Solid Waste temporary summertime only. The permanent HEO's do a lot more, including operating Zamboni's. They also operate all the heavy snow removal equipment and salters, including Metromelts.
The Parks, Transportation and Water Department HEO's have their own specific responsibilities and qualifications.

PanaEng said:
WT# does a City of TO HEO have to do with HEO in a CER?
Anyway, interesting link.

The OP asked if non-CF HEO experience, "would be a benefit to the trade at all".
The link outlines the responsibilities and qualifications of non-CF HEOs.

It is understood that, benefit or not, the OP must still take the CF heavy equipment training.
It's a step in the right direction, is all.

Sorry if any offence, or misunderstanding, was caused by posting it.

I am glad you found the link interesting, Frank.  The "Sunshine List" shows some City of Toronto HEOs earn in the six figures ( with public sector  benefits ). I know they do a lot of border crossings into Michigan.

Cheers,
Mike.

Back