• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilians allowed to own CG634 legally?

Meetreez

Inactive
Reaction score
Question in the title. Need to know, was given one back in '98 and never really thought of it until now.

Short answer - no. You can never own one legally as it's always government property (now stolen govenrment property). Same goes for just about everything else a soldier wears (save for next to skin items and boots).

As far as I know, the CG634 is a controlled item and either has to be declared surplus or destroyed when it reaches the end of service (damage, defect, etc.)

RedcapCrusader said:
As far as I know, the CG634 is a controlled item and either has to be declared surplus or destroyed when it reaches the end of service (damage, defect, etc.)

That would make sense to me.  CTAT would cover this. 

It is against the law for a private citizen to own a bullet proof vest/body armour in some provinces of Canada, and if that is correct, the CG634 would fall into the same category.

Here is the Alberta legislation:  https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/BACAct/Pages/default.aspx

BC and Manitoba have similar legislations with hefty fines for those who are caught owning body armour illegally.

At least my SCA armour is safe - until some other ban-nut has a tryst with the Good Idea Fairy.

Apparently, those with firearms licences are also exempt.

Are old steel military helmets exempt, or not? Helmets are not mentioned and, in fact, the whole thing seems a little vague to me.

One wonders if there have been any legal challenges, yet.

This is stupid legislation, anyway, and harms only the law-abiding. Just make it illegal to be a criminal, regardless of what items one has in one's possession.

Loachman said:
At least my SCA armour is safe - until some other ban-nut has a tryst with the Good Idea Fairy.

Apparently, those with firearms licences are also exempt.

Are old steel military helmets exempt, or not? Helmets are not mentioned and, in fact, the whole thing seems a little vague to me.

One wonders if there have been any legal challenges, yet.

This is stupid legislation, anyway, and harms only the law-abiding. Just make it illegal to be a criminal, regardless of what items one has in one's possession.

It is ridiculous.

Meetreez said:
You just gotta love the police state that we live in...
  ::)  You've never actually seen a police state, have you?

Erm.... I was using it as a figure of speech, friend. You know, exaggeration...

Edit: Just saw my MilPoints deduction... Dress up? What a joke, have you not heard of collecting? You need to get your knickers untwisted, buddy.

No one took at as a figure of speech. You wrote and it came across as a statement.

I'll also suggest you go read the site guidelines and get on board. If not, you'll soon be leaving, either by your choice or ours.

The matter is closed. Go read and follow the guidelines. Also read the section on MILPOINTS. It's how things are done around here.

---Staff---

Back