• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chlorine bombs mark new guerrilla tactics: U.S

Spartan

Inactive
Reaction score
After a search didn't see this posted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSKRA14854020070222?pageNumber=1
Chlorine bombs mark new guerrilla tactics: U.S
Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:20PM EST

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A top U.S. general said on Thursday insurgents in Iraq were using crude chemical bombs in a new campaign to create instability, as U.S. and Iraqi forces stepped up a security crackdown in Baghdad.

Two bombs with chlorine gas have killed up to 11 people this week. The blasts, one in Baghdad and the other north of the capital, caused toxic fumes that have made scores more sick.

"What they're trying to do is ... adapt in such ways where they can continue to create instability," Lieutenant-General Raymond Odierno, day-to-day commander of U.S. troops in Iraq, told reporters at the Pentagon in a live link-up.

"That's what they're doing, especially with these chlorine IEDs (improvised explosive devices)," he said, adding U.S. forces had found chlorine cylinders in a car bomb factory near the rebellious western city of Falluja on Tuesday.

Chlorine gas was used as a weapon in World War One but its use in guerrilla attacks in Iraq has particular resonance for Iraqis. Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons on Kurdish areas in the 1980s during the Iran-Iraq war.

President Bush is sending 21,500 more troops to Iraq in an effort to drive militants out of Baghdad and to try to stabilize Anbar province, heart of the Sunni Arab insurgency. U.S. forces in Iraq number some 141,000.

In the city of Ramadi, capital of Anbar province, U.S. forces killed at least 12 insurgents and wounded three others in a six-hour clash involving air strikes, the U.S. military said. 
--- Pg 2
Residents in Ramadi said three buildings were destroyed. A civil defense official and an ambulance driver, both of whom declined to be identified, said as many as 26 people were killed, including some women and children.

A Reuters photographer saw the bodies of an infant and a young boy. The battle started on Wednesday evening.

"We have no reports of civilian casualties and there were no coalition casualties," said Lieutenant Shawn Mercer, a spokesman for U.S. Marines operating in western Iraq.

U.S. and Iraqi troops were on alert as Iraq marked the anniversary of the bombing of a Shi'ite Muslim shrine in the city of Samarra that unleashed a wave of sectarian violence and pushed the country to the brink of all-out civil war.

There were no major attacks but sectarian tension was fueled by accusations from a woman in the northern city of Tal Afar that members of Iraq's Shi'ite-dominated forces raped her.

The allegations came two days after a 20-year-old Sunni Arab woman in Baghdad accused police of raping her, sparking a political furor that bared bitter sectarian divisions between Iraq's majority Shi'ites and Sunnis, once-dominant under Saddam.

The leader of al Qaeda's wing in Iraq vowed militants would avenge the Sunni woman's alleged rape, according to an audio tape posted on the Internet on Thursday.

--- pg 3
The speaker, identified as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, also known as Abu Ayyub al-Masri, said more than 300 militants had asked to go on suicide missions after hearing reports of the rape.

A police source said three people were killed in a bomb attack in Baghdad on Wednesday in which chlorine gas was used, and that 35 others were taken to hospital. An Interior Ministry source said six were killed and 73 wounded or made ill.

"We were in the shops working when all of a sudden it exploded and we saw yellow fumes. Everybody was suffocating," one man, who declined to be named, told Reuters TV.

On Tuesday, a truck rigged with explosives blew up north of Baghdad, killing at least five people and releasing a cloud of chlorine gas that made nearly 140 others sick, police said.

Odierno said at the car bomb factory near Falluja U.S. forces found vehicles in various stages of preparation to be used as bombs, as well as materials to devise or enhance explosives such as fertilizer and chlorine cylinders.

He said U.S. forces hunting insurgents responsible for shooting down U.S. helicopters had detained two members of a militant cell. He gave no other details.

On Wednesday, insurgents shot down a Black Hawk helicopter with nine people on board north of Baghdad. No one was killed. It was the eighth helicopter to go down in Iraq in a month.

A bit more - interesting to compare EVERYTHING that was said about chlorine in the briefing, and compare it to the media coverage.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Highlights, DoD News Briefing with Lt. Gen. Odierno From Iraq
February 22, 2007 12:00 PM EST
Article Link

GEN. ODIERNO:  Late on February 20th, 3rd Battalion, 509th Airborne discovered a car bomb factory near Kharma, which is about 12 miles northeast of Fallujah. The unit discovered numerous artillery rounds, mortar rounds, bombs, rockets, gutted anti-aircraft shells, a pickup truck and three other vehicles that were already in various stages of preparations as car bombs, as well as much detonation material.  We also found ingredients to be used to devise or enhance explosives such as fertilizer and chlorine cylinders. We also found the various components of a metal shop, including welders, burner stoves, circular saws, sanders and other items needed to build explosive devices.

(....)

Q    This is Kristin Roberts with Reuters.  General, can you please give us a little bit more information about the downings of the helicopters, as well as the two chemical bombs we've seen in the last two days? Are these representative or are these indicative of a change in tactics in the insurgency, and how are they becoming more capable? 

GEN. ODIERNO: Well, I don't think they're any more capable. Of course they adapt like we do. And what they're trying to do is try to adapt in such ways where they can continue to create instability, and that's what they're doing, especially with these chlorine VBIEDs. That's just another way they're trying to adapt to cause some sort of chaos here in country. And we'll continue to adapt towards those. As I said, when we found this factory a day and a half ago, we found chlorine cylinders there. So we'll continue to work against that as best we can.

(....)

Q    General, this is Courtney Kube from NBC News. On the chlorine bombs, how concerned is the U.S. military about this? Would you classify it as an emerging threat, or a new tactic? I mean what's the level of concern? And can you give us an idea of who might be employing this tactic? Is it Sunni extremists? Are we looking at al Qaeda in Iraq? What?

GEN. ODIERNO: You know, we have found over the last year or so, couple of years, we have found attempts of them to try to use all different types of chemical mixtures in order to try to make VBIEDs more lethal, and this is just another way to do it.  Now, I would say in that incident the other day, we had one individual, a civilian killed. All the others were very minor injuries.  So what we have to do is continue to evaluate what does it mean, and what we can do to try to stop them from detonating them at all, of course, but also what we have to do to protect the populace when this happens. And we're studying that now.

(....)

Q    General, it's Al Pessin from Voice of America. Do you have any indication that it's the Qods force or other Iranians who are transferring whatever technology's involved in the chlorine bombs? And are you comfortable with what the briefer said 10 days ago, that this support from Iran is coming from the highest levels of the Iranian government?

GEN. ODIERNO: First off, I have no evidence so far that they have anything to do with the chlorine bombs. I have not seen anything like that, but I'll look into it. I've not seen anything that says that.  And secondly, I don't know if it goes to the highest levels of the government. What we do know is that the Qods force has had involvement with some extremist groups in Iraq. That's what I know. Who knows about it and who doesn't know about it in Iran, I really don't know.  And frankly, I don't focus much on that. I let other people focus on those issues. I try to focus here on my mission here in Iraq.   

(....)

General Discusses Chlorine Bombs, Helicopter Shoot-downs
Jim Garamone, Armed Forces Press Service, 23 Feb 07
Article Link

The enemy in Iraq is adaptive, and is interested in "catastrophic attacks," the commander of coalition ground forces in Iraq said today. Army Lt. Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, commander of Multinational Corps Iraq, met with Pentagon reporters over a satellite link from Baghdad. Insurgents blew up a tanker filled with chlorine yesterday in southern Baghdad. The attack killed at least two people and wounded more than 30. Coalition officials in Baghdad said this could be an escalation in the insurgent attacks.

The attacks are meant to cause fear, and chlorine gas - which was used as a chemical agent in World War I - could be an attempt to cause more fear, officials said.

U.S. soldiers operating 12 miles northwest of Fallujah discovered a car bomb factory Feb. 20, Odierno said. They found numerous artillery rounds, mortar rounds, bombs, rockets, gutted anti-aircraft shells, a pickup truck and three other vehicles that were already in various stages of preparations as car bombs.

"We also found ingredients to be used to devise or enhance explosives such as fertilizer and chlorine cylinders," the general said.

The introduction of chlorine illustrates that the enemy continues to alter its tactics, Odierno said.

"What they're trying to do is try to adapt in such ways where they can continue to create instability, and that's what they're doing, especially with these chlorine (vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices)," he said.

But as the enemy changes its tactics, he noted, so will coalition forces.

The general said eight coalition helicopters have been shot down since Jan. 20. A UH-60 Black Hawk came down yesterday north of Baghdad. The cause of that downing is still being investigated, Odierno said, but initial reports indicate enemy fire brought it down.

"We are aggressively examining the conditions of each incident and adapting tactics and techniques to address the issue."

The helicopters may have run into enemy ambush sites, Odierno said.

"We are studying those intently, and we're trying to learn from those, and we will learn from those and we will adapt our tactics," he said. "I think they've probably been trying to do this for a long time, but my guess is we have a cell out there that's somewhat effective."

Military mum on response to chlorine bombs
Matthew Cox, Marine Corps Times, 22 Feb 07
Article Link

Military officials would not comment Thursday on whether American troops will begin wearing chemical protective gear, despite the possibility of makeshift chemical attacks in Iraq.

In two separate incidents in the past week, insurgents in Iraq have detonated car bombs that contained large amounts of chlorine. No U.S. soldiers were exposed to the blasts, which spewed chlorine into the air and sent numerous Iraqis to the hospital.

Ground troops found “chlorine cylinders” during a recent search operation, said Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno, commander of the Multi-National Corps-Iraq, during a Thursday video teleconference from Iraq.

He said this kind of tactic is not new.

“Over the last couple years we have found attempts from [insurgents] to use all different types of chemicals to make vehicle-borne [improvised explosive devices] more lethal,” Odierno said. “What we have to continue to evaluate is, ‘What does it mean? How can we stop them?’ ”

Army officials in Iraq would not comment when asked if commanders considered the use of chlorine a renewed threat, or if soldiers would begin carrying chemical protective gear.

Instead, they offered this written statement from spokesman Lt. Col. Christopher Garver:

“Although the perpetrators have not been identified, coalition forces are assisting Iraqi security forces conducting a thorough investigation into this incident. This action reflects the desperation of the terrorists who are trying to destroy the Iraqis’ confidence in their government’s ability to protect them.”

Coalition Faces Two New Insurgent Tactics in Iraq
Al Pessin, Voice of America, 22 Feb 07
Article Link

The second-ranking U.S. commander in Iraq says his forces are working to counter two new capabilities developed by insurgents - an improved ability to shoot down helicopters and a new type of bomb that involves deadly chlorine gas. The general spoke via satellite from Baghdad to reporters at the Pentagon, and VOA's Al Pessin reports.

Lieutenant General Ray Odierno says eight coalition helicopters have been brought down in the last month, and his forces are beginning to develop some information about how and why that happened.

"We're seeing some common tactics, techniques and procedures, which I don't want to comment on," he said. "And so, we seem to be aware of what they're doing and we're trying to understand what those are, learn about it, so we can protect our aircraft, but more importantly, try to go after the cells."

General Odierno says coalition troops detained a man last week who they believe was a member of one of those cells, and made more arrests in raids during the last few nights. The general believes the cells are affiliated with the al-Qaida terrorist network. General Odierno says protecting the helicopters is essential for the coalition because it relies heavily on the aircraft for safe transport. He reports the coalition will fly about 400,000 hours of helicopter missions this year, nearly double the usage level of two years ago.

General Odierno also discussed the recent use of three chlorine gas bombs by insurgents. He says his forces discovered a supply of the gas at an insurgent bomb factory they raided on Tuesday near Fallujah, along with explosives, detonators and four vehicles in the process of being fitted with large bombs.

"What they're trying to do is try to adapt in such ways where they can continue to create instability," he added. "And that's what they're doing, especially with these chlorine VBIEDs [vehicle borne explosive devices]. That's just another way they're trying to adapt to cause some sort of chaos here in country."

The general says he has seen no indication that Iranians are involved in providing the chlorine bomb capability. Ten days ago, speaking on condition of anonymity, military officials in Baghdad accused top Iranian officials of providing bomb-making technology and materials to the Iraqi insurgents. On Thursday, General Odierno joined other top officials in saying he is not sure whether the Iranian involvement goes to the top of the Tehran government, as the briefers claimed.

On other issues, General Odierno said he supports Britain's decision to withdrawal 1,600 of its 7,000 troops from southern Iraq. He says Iraqi forces in the area have made "plenty of progress," and that soon they will be able to handle security on their own, with coalition forces in what he called an 'over-watch' role. The general says that is the plan for the entire country.

He also reports that the new Baghdad security operation is going well so far, with Iraqi commanders taking the promised even-handed approach toward both Sunni and Shi'ite groups that commit violence. But General Odierno also said it will take months to see significant results from the effort, and he urged observers to be patient.

No more chlorine bombs [hopefully] as we have captured the factory for these devices.

It is simply amazing....the MSM have nothing on  Hans Christian Anderson when it comes to writing fairy tales.

Problem with the chlorine bombs....
the Civilian bystanders don't have personal protection devices like we do.

Funny how this doesn't make news but god help the US if they make one mistake.......then MSM is all over it!

Chlorine blasts kills 8, makes dozens ill in Iraq
Last Updated: Saturday, March 17, 2007 | 10:04 AM ET
CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/03/17/iraq-chlorine.html

About 350 Iraqi civilians and six U.S. troops were treated for chlorine gas exposure after suicide bombings south of Fallujah, the U.S. military said on Saturday.

Two bombers driving dump trucks with chlorine-filled tanks killed at least eight people on Friday, the military said.

The first blast occurred on the edge of the village of Amiriyat, just outside Fallujah, 60 kilometres west of Baghdad.

The bomber struck at the entrance of a large housing complex, killing six civilians and two police officers.

About 100 people, including several children, reported symptoms ranging from skin and lung irritations to vomiting, officials said.

That was followed by a similar explosion, also south of Fallujah, in the Albu Issa tribal region.

U.S. forces responded to the attack and found about 250 civilians suffering from symptoms related to chlorine exposure, according to a statement from the U.S. military.

Chlorine is a liquid under pressure but turns into a gas when released. The fumes can cause severe respiratory damage if inhaled.

A large amount in the lungs can form hydrochloric acid that burns lung tissue.

Militants reportedly set off chlorine explosions at least three times last month in Iraq, killing eight people.

The U.S. military said last month that its troops found a car bomb factory near Fallujah with about 65 propane tanks and ordinary chemicals it believed the insurgents were going to try to mix with explosives.

From an outsiders view on this......

I watch an awful lot of news. from a variety of sources, about the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. And one theme that has been used an awful lot, recently, is that there can be no "military only" solution to the conflicts in both of these countries. There must be a dialogue, or a political element to solving both. My question is, how on earth are we expected to negotiate, engage in duologue, pursue a nonmilitary approach to solving these conflicts, with an enemy that uses such indiscriminate tactics? I know suicide bombings, and hijacked airliners are just as indiscriminate. But the use of these chlorine bombs, steps it up a few notches. Are we really kidding ourselves when politicians in White Hall, and Washington are constantly saying we need try and solve these conflicts by means other than the use of force?

What "there can be no military solution" really means
that the left are horrified that the military is usefull at all.

Pacifism is an easy sell for the population at large.
When the military is deployed they (we) suddenly realize
that we are not as safe or popular as we would like to
believe we are. 

If the military are on a base at home, or better yet,
disbanded then we can live in our quiet little illusion.

In all of the reading I have done in the past few years
I have NEVER seen a usefull suggestion coming from the
"peace" community.
I have NEVER seen an alternative to deploying the military that
wasn't just silly.

Not that this is the peace community, but it offers some thought, from former players involved in the current situation.

http://www.independent.org/events/transcript.asp?eventID=115

Didn't post the whole article on here, it's too big.

+1 Flip.

John Lennon had it right for that mob.  ALL they are saying, is give peace a chance.  The slogan they can remember.  Beyond that................."crickets".

I was wondering when chemical/biological weapons were going to be used .This tactic will increase the Iraqi civilian causalities.Hopefully it's short lived.

My only hope is that the tactics will become so awful that it will make the people, tribal leaders realize that they have to deal with the insurgents themselves. It seems we are seeing a fair bit of backlash against AQ in Al-Anabar Province and hopefully the political side can build on that, while the military supports the efforts.

On my continuing series of "There Ain't Nuthing New Under The Sun:  Everything Old Is New Again"  I offer the following article.  It is from National Review Online and I came across it on Iraq The Model.

I tried to condense it just to those elements that were germane to the discussion on today's situation.....but found I couldn't.  It is all germane.

March 19, 2007 6:00 AM

Copperheads, Then and Now
The Democratic legacy of undermining war efforts.

By Mackubin Thomas Owens

..... a fine new book about political dissent in the North during the Civil War. The book, Copperheads: The Rise an Fall of Lincoln’s Opponents in the North, by journalist-turned-academic-historian Jennifer Weber, shines the spotlight on the “Peace Democrats,” who did everything they could to obstruct the Union war effort during the Rebellion. In so doing, she corrects a number of claims that have become part of the conventional wisdom. The historical record aside, what struck me the most were the similarities between the rhetoric and actions of the Copperheads a century and a half ago and Democratic opponents of the Iraq war today.

In contradistinction to the claims of many earlier historians, Weber argues persuasively that the Northern anti-war movement was far from a peripheral phenomenon. Disaffection with the war in the North was widespread and the influence of the Peace Democrats on the Democratic party was substantial. During the election of 1864, the Copperheads wrote the platform of the Democratic party, and one of their own, Rep. George H. Pendleton of Ohio, was the party’s candidate for vice president. Until Farragut’s victory at Mobile Bay, Sherman’s capture of Atlanta, and Sheridan’s success in driving the Confederates from the Shenandoah Valley in the late summer and fall of 1864, hostility toward the war was so profound in the North that Lincoln believed he would lose the election.

Weber demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that the actions of the Copperheads materially damaged the ability of the Lincoln administration to prosecute the war. Weber persuasively refutes the view of earlier historians such as the late Frank Klement, who argued that what Lincoln called the Copperhead “fire in the rear” was mostly “a fairy tale,” a “figment of Republican imagination,” made up of “lies, conjecture and political malignancy.” The fact is that Peace Democrats actively interfered with recruiting and encouraged desertion. Indeed, they generated so much opposition to conscription that the Army was forced to divert resources from the battlefield to the hotbeds of Copperhead activity in order to maintain order. Many Copperheads actively supported the Confederate cause, materially as well as rhetorically.

In the long run, the Democratic party was badly hurt by the Copperheads. Their actions radically politicized Union soldiers, turning into stalwart Republicans many who had strongly supported the Democratic party’s opposition to emancipation as a goal of the war. As the Democrats were reminded for many years after the war, the Copperheads had made a powerful enemy of the Union veterans.

Weber quotes the response of a group of Indiana soldiers to letters from Copperhead “friends” back home:

Your letter shows you to be a cowardly traitor. No traitor can be my friend; if you cannot renounce your allegiance to the Copperhead scoundrels and own your allegiance to the Government which has always protected you, you are my enemy, and I wish you were in the ranks of my open, avowed, and manly enemies, that I might put a ball through your black heart, and send your soul to the Arch Rebel himself.

It is certain that the Union soldiers tired of hearing from the Copperheads that the Rebels could not be defeated. They surely tired of being described by the Copperheads as instruments of a tyrannical administration trampling the legitimate rights of the Southern states. The soldiers seemed to understand fairly quickly that the Copperheads preferred Lincoln’s failure to the country’s success. They also recognized that the Copperheads offered no viable alternative to Lincoln’s policy except to stop the war. Does any of this sound familiar?

Today, Democratic opponents of the Iraq war echo the rhetoric of the Copperheads. As Lincoln was a bloodthirsty tyrant, trampling the rights of Southerners and Northerners alike, President Bush is the world’s worst terrorist, comparable to Hitler.

These words of the La Crosse Democrat responding to Lincoln’s re-nomination could just as easily have been written about Bush:  “May God Almighty forbid that we are to have two terms of the rottenest, most stinking, ruin working smallpox ever conceived by fiends or mortals…” The recent lament of left-wing bloggers that Vice President Dick Cheney was not killed in a suicide bombing attempt in Pakistan echoes the incendiary language of Copperhead editorialist Brick Pomeroy who hoped that if Lincoln were re-elected, “some bold hand will pierce his heart with dagger point for the public good.” 

Antiwar Democrats make a big deal of “supporting the troops.” But such expressions ring hollow in light of Democratic efforts to hamstring the ability of the United States to achieve its objectives in Iraq. And all too often, the mask of the antiwar politician or activist slips, revealing what opponents of the war really think about the American soldier.

For instance, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Rep. Charles Rangel have suggested that soldiers fighting in Iraq are there because they are not smart enough to do anything else. Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois has suggested a similarity between the conduct of U.S. troops in Iraq and that of Nazi soldiers in World War II. His Illinois colleagues, Sen. Barack Obama, claimed that the lives of soldiers lost in Iraq were “wasted.” And recently William Arkin, a military analyst writing online for the Washington Post, said of American soldiers that they are “mercenaries” who had little business taking critics of the war to task.

The Copperheads often abandoned all decency in their pursuit of American defeat in the Civil War. One Connecticut Copperhead told his neighbors that he hoped that all the men who went to fight for the Union cause would “leave their Bones to Bleach on the soil” of the South. The heirs of the Copperheads in today’s Democratic party are animated by the same perverted spirit with regard to the war in Iraq. Nothing captures the essence of today’s depraved Copperhead perspective better than the following e-mail, which unfortunately is only one example of the sort of communication I have received all too often in response to articles of mine over the past few months.

Dear Mr. Owens

You write, "It is hard to conduct military operations when a chorus of eunuchs is describing every action we take as a violation of everything that America stands for, a quagmire in which we are doomed to failure, and a waste of American lives."

But Mr. Owens, I believe that those three beliefs are true. On what grounds can I be barred from speaking them in public? Because speaking them will undermine American goals in Iraq? Bless you, sir, that's what I want to do in the first place. I am confident that U.S. forces will be driven from Iraq, and for that reason I am rather enjoying the war.

But doesn't hoping that American forces are driven from Iraq necessarily mean hoping that Americans soldiers will be killed there? Yes it does. Your soldiers are just a bunch of poor, dumb suckers that have been swindled out of their right to choose between good and evil. Quite a few of them are or will be swindled out of their eyes, legs, arms and lives. I didn't swindle them. President Bush did. If you're going to blame me for cheering their misery, what must you do to President Bush, whose policies are the cause of that misery?

Union soldiers voted overwhelmingly for Lincoln in 1864, abandoning the once-beloved George McClellan because of the perception that he had become a tool of the Copperheads. After Vietnam, veterans left the Democratic party in droves. I was one of them. The Democratic party seems poised to repeat its experience in both the Civil War and Vietnam.

The Democrats seem to believe that they are tapping into growing anti-Iraq War sentiment in the military. They might cite evidence of military antipathy towards the war reflected in, for example, the recent CBS Sixty Minutes segment entitled “Dissension in the Ranks.”  But the Democrats are whistling past the graveyard. The Sixty Minutes segment was predicated on an unscientific Army Times poll, orchestrated by activists who now oppose the war. The fact remains that most active duty and National Guard personnel still support American objectives in Iraq. They may be frustrated by the perceived incompetence of higher-ups and disturbed by a lack of progress in the war, but it has always been thus among soldiers. The word “snafu” began as a World War II vintage acronym:  “situation normal, all f****d up.”

Union soldiers could support the goals of the war and criticize the incompetence of their leaders in the same breath. But today’s soldiers, like their Union counterparts a century and a half ago, are tired of hearing that everything is the fault of their own government from people who invoke Gitmo and Abu Ghraib but rarely censure the enemy, and who certainly offer no constructive alternative to the current course of action.

The late nineteenth century Democratic party paid a high price for the influence of the Copperheads during the Civil War, permitting Republicans to “wave the bloody shirt” of rebellion and to vilify the party with the charge of disunion and treason. If its leaders are not careful, today’s Democratic party may well pay the same sort of price for the actions of its antiwar base, which is doing its best to continue the Copperhead legacy.

—  Mackubin Thomas Owens is an associate dean of academics and a professor of national-security affairs at the Naval War College in Newport, R.I. He is writing a history of U.S. civil-military relations.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjAxOWZhOWQ1YWMwNDEwMDIyYmQ0MjQwZjgyOGFkZTU=

Chlorine Bombs are IMHO an indication of desperation of the insurgents. It is based on the lack of good explosives available to create real bombs. Same issue as suicide bombers it is a sign of desperation and an inability to mass resources, which is always a good sign.

.... I see the use of Chlorine as their getting more "bang for the buck"
and their total disregard for the safety of the innocent bystandards.... who are left to the hands of god.  In sha Allah!

Here is a note by LTC Fisher the CO of an MTT in Fallujah during the recent chlorine bombing.

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/002966.php

Something to see. US Marines and Jundi still gasping for air, fighting side by side. Some jundi still in their sleeping sweats or shower sandals refusing to be evacuated, fighting back with their AKs and PKCs into enemy positions. Yes, some of these jundi got what it takes.

Back