• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing trades to mseop

patswin

Inactive
Reaction score
Just looking for other " truckers" out there and wondering how they like their jobs . I am joining that trade after 15yrs in the cbt arms . I am looking forward to a new change !

Patswin

I have been an MSE-Op for 19 years and I can't think of another trade I would rather be.

What I liked the best about the trade and in no particular order is as follows.

1. Tractor Trailer

2. Heavy Equipment ( Snow Removal on Airfields)

3. Refuelling

I have been to both Army and Air Force postings and both have their good and bad.

Well I guess I will close by saying welcome to the trade.

Trucker935

Well thank you, I a quite excited about coming over to the support side of the forces. It is a trade I have thought of for quite some time and the only one that I actually wanted to switch to . I finally figured no time like the present I might as well give it a shot. I have been told I am a ql3 bypass, any idea what my ojt/4's would consist of and what do they do for the 5's course? I am interested in the heavy eqpt side of things but I will do whatever they want to train me on I am sure it is all good.Not quite sure about the green beret though , I will have to turn in my black one I am so used to.

Patswin

Have they given you a date on when you will switch over to the trade.

I can give you more in depth about what your QL4 ojt package consists of next week when I go back to work.

When I get the information on the QL4's I will also pass on what is expected on your QL5 Course.

It has been awhile since I have done mine.

Have they told you where you are going to be posted yet?

Trucker935

Trucker 935
                No I have no date as of yet I only found out I was accepted this past week. I am currently in Gagetown and a few people I know that switched just went to base transport.I guess it is much cheaper that way no ql3 and no cost to post the member.I would prefer to stay here but am willing to go where ever they send me.Where are you posted at? Thanks in advance for any info 

Once nice thing is while working for GPV sect and operating T/T, bus, medical runs, etc. I can make a lot of extra cash on meal and overnight claims.  Granted, $200-$400 extra cash a month may not be a lot for some people, but it's a lot of whiskey money.  A few truckers have joined/come over just for that reason, esp the married ones.  I guess a ball-and-chain can be expensive  ;).

Cheers.

I changed trades some years ago from infantry to Mse Op, and loved my job ever since. You will find it more relaxed, less anal retentive,( less armour protected - sorry, buddy , not intended as a cheap shot). Most truck drivers are suspected of masturbating frequently (most old truckers go blind), ...and ex- combat arms are often signified by what they have under their pillow when they sleep...if they're reeeeally asleep...hmmm.

Ql4 as you must know by now is dust of history, and the 5 course is tedious, mostly because you will by then know how to do things the right way, then you only get qualified by doing things the school way... then it's back to the Battalion to re-learn how to do it the right way again.

There are many good things about the trade, but the best for me, when leaving the pointy end of the stick, was the broader point of view - of the military, of my place there, of our job... and the freedom to think about things on those long trips by yourself in the cab. Welcome to the trade.

Hey, Well I have been a trucker for about 8 yrs now and its not the greatest job nor the worst. If you are looking for qualifications you can use on civy side, Goodluck. I have been posted to a Fd Unit for the last 8yrs and most of my job consists of Fd and Deployments. Don't get me wrong that is all fun and good but when you look at retirement and possible jobs after the military, you really have to think. However if you do make it through the ranks there are other good jobs. Fleet Manager or even Accident Investigator too name a couple. Anyways take it easy and good luck.

Yes the trade is great... who doesn't like working on their own all the time out on the road? The 4's package is easy, it's mostly familiarization with no qualifications needed at all with some time spent in dispatch, safety etc etc.

The 5's is not hard either... just came off mine in March. No PT, no Drill, no Parades (not even grad parade), no Inspections... nothing! Spend 2 weeks in the field doing movements and fun stuff (the usual) and the rest taking smoke breaks and playing on FMS in the classroom.

BTW MSE_OP18:  There are an unbelievable amount of civie opportunities from our trade... the list is endless. So big deal, your in a field unit doing your time there now and getting it over with....  next stop is the other side of the trade where you do get your qual's.

What kind of 5's were on? No PT, no Drill, no Parades (not even grad parade), no Inspections. You had it easy. Was it at CFSAL?

I was on my MSE 5's in Borden, in CFSAL. No word of a lie..... hey we werent complaining!! Salute to our instructors!  :salute:

The only inspections we had were closed locker inspections... and we werent even there when they "randomly" did them.

Yea, a buddy of mine when he did his 5's in Borden, they had no open locker inspections an no PT.

As a quick aside, when I took my 5's in 1998-ish I asked an instructor at the course party about the lack of inspections, not that I was complaining.  I was told:

1.  This ain't a leadership course, per se;

2.  There's a lot of trade schtuff to cover, too much time on inspections takes away from that; and

3.  If y'all cain't git yer sh*t sorted out by now, step back a rank.

Interesting, and makes sense.  The course was a bit of a bag drive, but a BLAST! 

Phunk,
I will agree that there are jobs out there after the military, that is what I had posted. I was just stating and I have seen this time and time again. Guys remustering to MSE Op and getting posted to a Fd unit instead of a static base and all they get qualified on is the green stuff. It is discouraging for most. I have done my time in the Fd. Three tours in less then 5 years is doing my time I figure. There are guys that do a year or two in the Field if that and get posted over to a nice cushy posting and never see the field again. Or those that are at static bases that never ever see the field...Where's the justice...LOL. I could care less but others care quite a bit. Over all, every job or trade has its good and bad. Its what  you make out of it in the long run.

As for the 5's , man you guys had it easy. We should of had ours written off as a JLC as well as a 5's. Its all good though.

Back