• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Problem solving

standardissuesock

Inactive
Reaction score
Literally have my first CFAT tomorrow

I'm okay on the vocab and spatial sections (through a bunch of practice exams), but 30 minutes for 30 math problems which usually require some algebra and multiplying/ dividing large numbers seems... ambitious

For background, I took a 3 year applied sciences course in college, so my math is solid, if not well exercised in recent history

Anyone have any tips/ advice for this section on the CFAT? I think it matters less if the roles are in demand, and I have prior credentials and experience, but thought to ask here as well

In demand jobs really only have that label to draw attention to jobs that might be overlooked.
They don't relax the entry standards for in demand trades.

Not sure it would help, but Duolingo has a math app now that includes speed tests. It's not problem solving as such, but it reinforces math skills that could be rusty. And it's free.

In demand jobs really only have that label to draw attention to jobs that might be overlooked.
They don't relax the entry standards for in demand trades.

Not sure it would help, but Duolingo has a math app now that includes speed tests. It's not problem solving as such, but it reinforces math skills that could be rusty. And it's free.

Thank you for your response.

I wrote it yesterday, pretty sure I got no more than 2 incorrect on the 30 questions. They gave us 45 minutes to do the problem solving section.

Literally have my first CFAT tomorrow

I'm okay on the vocab and spatial sections (through a bunch of practice exams), but 30 minutes for 30 math problems which usually require some algebra and multiplying/ dividing large numbers seems... ambitious

For background, I took a 3 year applied sciences course in college, so my math is solid, if not well exercised in recent history

Anyone have any tips/ advice for this section on the CFAT? I think it matters less if the roles are in demand, and I have prior credentials and experience, but thought to ask here as well
can you share the resource for the practice exams?

This is the only practice test I took before hand
thanks for the response, was the format of the actual test similar to the practice test? I've heard that the actual test is more challenging than the practice test, , do you agree? and what would you do differently, any tips for me, I'll be doing my test on Monday, Aug 28, thanks

thanks for the response, was the format of the actual test similar to the practice test? I've heard that the actual test is more challenging than the practice test, , do you agree? and what would you do differently, any tips for me, I'll be doing my test on Monday, Aug 28, thanks
i can't disclose anything about the material on the test. there's something you sign. if English is your first language and you're not terrible at math it's not difficult to ace it.

I find practicing on Khan Academy has been very helpful.
Mainly because you can get help on specific kinds of questions you need extra help with. You can track your progression and progress.
There are a LOT of word problems on there so that will help with the problem solving portion.

I find practicing on Khan Academy has been very helpful.
Mainly because you can get help on specific kinds of questions you need extra help with. You can track your progression and progress.
There are a LOT of word problems on there so that will help with the problem solving portion.
thanks . have you done your test?

I found for my test (ages ago, BTW) I worked on sudoku puzzles to practice my logic and troubleshooting skills, and would try to time myself to solving the puzzles in a set amount of time. For me, I found that beginner puzzles could be done in 2-3 minutes, medium-level puzzles took about 5-10, sometimes 15 minutes, and the hard or expert-level puzzles I would give myself a limit of 30 minutes.

Obviously, I passed, but my point is that anything to get the cognitive juices flowing will help, and different things work for different people. The one piece of advice I would give to someone stressing about the CFAT is to keep your confidence in your abilities and try not to worry too much about it. It isn't necessarily designed to "pass" or "fail" you, but more likely to be used as a tool for recruiters to determine where your strengths are and where you could potentially thrive within a specific trade.

I know people who scored high enough on their CFAT that they could've had any trade in the military, but they picked a trade that others looked down on, simply because it was what they really wanted to do. Sometimes, you gotta do what makes you happy.

In any case, to all those looking forward to completing their CFAT, I'll tell you what I tell my kids; you don't have to be THE best, you just have to do YOUR best.

Good luck!!

I found for my test (ages ago, BTW) I worked on sudoku puzzles to practice my logic and troubleshooting skills, and would try to time myself to solving the puzzles in a set amount of time. For me, I found that beginner puzzles could be done in 2-3 minutes, medium-level puzzles took about 5-10, sometimes 15 minutes, and the hard or expert-level puzzles I would give myself a limit of 30 minutes.

Obviously, I passed, but my point is that anything to get the cognitive juices flowing will help, and different things work for different people. The one piece of advice I would give to someone stressing about the CFAT is to keep your confidence in your abilities and try not to worry too much about it. It isn't necessarily designed to "pass" or "fail" you, but more likely to be used as a tool for recruiters to determine where your strengths are and where you could potentially thrive within a specific trade.

I know people who scored high enough on their CFAT that they could've had any trade in the military, but they picked a trade that others looked down on, simply because it was what they really wanted to do. Sometimes, you gotta do what makes you happy.

In any case, to all those looking forward to completing their CFAT, I'll tell you what I tell my kids; you don't have to be THE best, you just have to do YOUR best.

Good luck!!
thank you sir appreciate it

Congrats can you share How long was the exam Day and whether were there any extra processes besides the exam?

It went well! I passed for both trades I had selected.

Just waiting to hear back regarding my medical and interview now.
Congrats can you share How long was the exam Day and whether were there any extra processes besides the exam?

I was there for about 4.5 hours. Some were still there when I left.

Prior to, and after the test we had to fill out lots of paperwork.

I was there for about 4.5 hours. Some were still there when I left.

Prior to, and after the test we had to fill out lots of paperwork.
Did you Dress Formally or casually and Did they check your Credit score and history on the exam day?

Did you Dress Formally or casually and Did they check your Credit score and history on the exam day?

I dressed "smart causal" I'd say.

Dress for success but don't stress it too hard. There was everything from a guy in a full suit and tie all the way to people with sweat pants and baggy hoodie.

They did not check credit score or history on exam day

Back