• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

ArmyVern said:
One crusty old guy in the Van Doos (a Sgt) did have a problem with my haircut. He stood me to attention one day and raged all over me about how he was going to have me charged with "personating a male". I reached under my shirt, pulled out my bra strap and said "show me a man who wears a bra to work with his uniform and I'll show you someone you can charge." I didn't get charged (caveat: for that 'personating').

That made me spit a portion of my coffee out on to my keyboard.  :salute:

I actually remember my CSM in St Jean who was a gazillion years old letting loose on the women that had their hair cut to male standards or shorter...he didn't want to have to guess people's gender.  Women were to look like women and men like men .

MM

I am curious as to what types of updo's are acceptable. I currently wear a bun everyday,  I would love to try something new such as a neatly tucked french twist, or something to that effect. Very conservative, would not interfere with the wearing of head dress, and would not be excessivly tall, or big.  Also a neat roll at the nap of the neck, same basic idea only instead of vertical the roll is horizontal, securely and discreetly pinned, styled and pulled away from the face.  I will be doing the hairstyles at home, taking pictures and bringing them in to see if they are approved or not before sporting them at garrison of course. Just wondering if anyone else currently does them or has seen them.  Also we are about 10 to 15 females at my unit and well, most have either short hair or are fine with sporting a bun everyday.

Pearlina said:
I am curious as to what types of updo's are acceptable. I currently wear a bun everyday,  I would love to try something new such as a neatly tucked french twist, or something to that effect. Very conservative, would not interfere with the wearing of head dress, and would not be excessivly tall, or big.  Also a neat roll at the nap of the neck, same basic idea only instead of vertical the roll is horizontal, securely and discreetly pinned, styled and pulled away from the face.  I will be doing the hairstyles at home, taking pictures and bringing them in to see if they are approved or not before sporting them at garrison of course. Just wondering if anyone else currently does them or has seen them.  Also we are about 10 to 15 females at my unit and well, most have either short hair or are fine with sporting a bun everyday.

I've seen both and never heard of anyone getting jacked up for it.  The standard is nothing 'way out there', must be away from the face and off the neck.

Pearlina said:

I have seen women doing each of these, but if you check the dress regs, they're not in there.  All that's allowed to long hair, is a french braid, down the back, not extending past your armpit in length, 2 french braids, also worn down the back and not longer than your armpit height, or a bun -- unless you have a 'growing it out' chit, but as soon as it's long enough to bun or braid, that's where it's supposed to be.  And I had such a crappy time trying to explain this one on Remembrance Day, but in DEU's, it's a bun only, no braids allowed.

Sparkplugs said:
I have seen women doing each of these, but if you check the dress regs, they're not in there.  All that's allowed to long hair, is a french braid, down the back, not extending past your armpit in length, 2 french braids, also worn down the back and not longer than your armpit height, or a bun -- unless you have a 'growing it out' chit, but as soon as it's long enough to bun or braid, that's where it's supposed to be.  And I had such a crappy time trying to explain this one on Remembrance Day, but in DEU's, it's a bun only, no braids allowed.

If you check the regs it doesn't even say that buns are permitted (except for the note):

Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn...

Regarding hair during parades:

Female personal appearance on
ceremonial parade in accordance
with Figure 2-2-3; straight hairstyles
will be gathered in a bun. This is
also applicable for the cornrows.

And see by the dress regs not specifically stating bun then any suitable hair do would be therefore exceptable as long as it falls within those regulations.  Definantly something I will bring up to my staff. Not that I'm trying to be poop disturber, I just like having options while remaining within the regulations.  I will definantly be printing out the exerpt from the regs and putting it in my wallet though so if anyone asks I can say look its within regs, especially since the only hair specific unit regs we have are for men and the difference between tapered and straight back haircuts. (straight back not allowed).  thanks to everyone for helping with the clarifications especially since we are so few women here and none seem to be overly interested in changing their hair styles except me.

Pearlina said:
And see by the dress regs not specifically stating bun then any suitable hair do would be therefore exceptable acceptable as long as it falls within those regulations.  Definantly something I will bring up to my staff. Not that I'm trying to be poop disturber, I just like having options while remaining within the regulations. 

Be careful how you write things.  There is a great difference between except and accept. 

Pearlina said:
I will definantly be printing out the exerpt from the regs and putting it in my wallet though so if anyone asks I can say look its within regs, especially since the only hair specific unit regs we have are for men and the difference between tapered and straight back haircuts. (straight back not allowed).  thanks to everyone for helping with the clarifications especially since we are so few women here and none seem to be overly interested in changing their hair styles except me.
???

The Regulations on how to wear your hair are not "unit regs", they are CF Regulations.

I would advise you to think this over.  When you do print off the proper Regulations, you will find that there are indeed Regulations for Female hair styles.

But the styles revolve around how to wear a braid an when one can wear a ponytail (it's really only in one situation so if none of you have seen it then you probably don't have permission/need to wear your hair that way).

George Wallace said:
Be careful how you write things.  There is a great difference between except and accept. 
???

The Regulations on how to wear your hair are not "unit regs", they are CF Regulations.

I would advise you to think this over.  When you do print off the proper Regulations, you will find that there are indeed Regulations for Female hair styles.

In reference to the Unit regs, Yes the hair regulations are CF not unit, however my unit has also imposed stricter regulations in terms of the men being able to have straight back vs tapered back.  A hair cut in which the hair is cropped in straight line across the back of the neck is not allowed at my unit. Men are only allowed to sport the tapered back here. Anything else will result in a swift jacking for the men even though the regulations for the CF state that a straight back is fine.

Also I have thouroughly read the CF regultaions on female hair and it does not specifically state that hair must be in a bun unless on parade.  All that is stated is how it cannot be excessively large and should be conservatively styled away from the face, off the collar, not strange colours and of course the various styles permitted for braids/ cornrolls. So keeping that in mind I think most people just default to the standard Bun simply because it is the most commonly seen hair style on females.  I have not attempted anything new as of yet simply because the plan of action is to style hair at home, take pictures, then submit for approval through my staff before sporting a new do.

Also thanks for catching the grammatical error.  :)

CF Regs trump Unit Regs.  Anyway, from A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CANADIAN FORCES DRESS
INSTRUCTIONS:

5. The following additional details apply to
specific groups to accord with religious and spiritual
practices and public perceptions of a disciplined
force:
a. Men (see Figure 2-2-1). Hair shall be taper-trimmed
at the back, sides, and above the
ears to blend with the hair-style
; be no
more than 15 cm (6 in.) in length and
sufficiently short that, when the hair is
groomed and headdress is removed, no
hair shall touch the ears or fall below the
top of the eyebrows; be no more than 4 cm
(1-1/2 in.) in bulk at the top of the head,
gradually decreasing to blend with the
taper-trimmed sides and back; and be kept
free from the neck to a distance of 2.5 cm
(1 in.) above the shirt collar. Taper trimmed
square back styles and shaving of all the
hair on the head are permitted.

As well:

b. Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be
styled conservatively and tied tightly:
secured at the end by a knot or a small
unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be
worn in the centre of the back. Double
braids shall be worn behind the shoulders.
Hair shall be a maximum length when
gathered behind the head and braided
which does not extend below the top of the
armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be
directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the
end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun. With the permission of a
Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition
from short to long hairstyles, during which
time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a
positive military appearance, and subject to
the member’s safety.

and:

NOTE

Female personal appearance on
ceremonial parade in accordance
with Figure 2-2-3; straight hairstyles
will be gathered in a bun. This is
also applicable for the cornrows.

Dress regs states at the beginning (reference Chapter 1 para 3):
CF Dress Instructions shall be interpreted as follows: if an item is not included in these instructions, it is not authorized.

Therefore, if it doesn't specifically state what you CAN do then you CAN'T do it.

Reference: Chapter 2, Section 2, para 5b begins:
Women (see Figure 2-2-3).

It is saying to look at the Figure (which includes cornrows, buns, braids and short hair).  Regardless of how you might interrupt the "conservatively styled..etc etc", if the picture of how you want your hair is not in this picture, it is not allowed.

If that's the case than you cannot do a bun by using a single braid (twisting is around and pinning), or tuck the bottom of a french braid up under the braid and pin that.  We've all seen it and some have even been taught it.

See how silly that sounds?

In the same vein every man would have to have a part on the side of his head.

Strike said:
If that's the case than you cannot do a bun by using a single braid (twisting is around and pinning), or tuck the bottom of a french braid up under the braid and pin that.  We've all seen it and some have even been taught it.

See how silly that sounds?

In the same vein every man would have to have a part on the side of his head.

I was specifically told when I was on course that those were two things that were definitely not allowed -- the tucked french braid and the braid wound into a bun.  We were shown pictures right out of the regs, and told, "These are your options.  That's it."

Yes, I've seen women doing the other things too, but perhaps it's only because no one has jacked them up for it?  I know as a Jr NCM, there's no way I'd tell a female MWO, "Ma'am, your hair is out of regs," unless I wanted a world of hurt.  I get jacked up for my double braids all the time, so I started carrying around a print-out of the pictures from the dress regs.  I find that most times, it's only because it's not super commonly seen, and males aren't always sure about the female hair regs, so I have no problem sharing them.

A parting of the hair is not the same as a picture of a bun.  I don't think it sounds silly at all.  I don't see anything wrong with conforming to one of the three long hair options when I'm in uniform.  My time out of uniform is what I reserve for individuality, creativity, and 'fun' hairstyles.  Work is work.  I'm told to dress a certain way, and do my hair a certain way, so I do.

Well taking everyones points into consideration I will just stay with the bun this way I don't get jacked.

Sparkplugs said:
I was specifically told when I was on course that those were two things that were definitely not allowed -- the tucked french braid and the braid wound into a bun.  We were shown pictures right out of the regs, and told, "These are your options.  That's it."

Yes, I've seen women doing the other things too, but perhaps it's only because no one has jacked them up for it?  I know as a Jr NCM, there's no way I'd tell a female MWO, "Ma'am, your hair is out of regs," unless I wanted a world of hurt.  I get jacked up for my double braids all the time, so I started carrying around a print-out of the pictures from the dress regs.  I find that most times, it's only because it's not super commonly seen, and males aren't always sure about the female hair regs, so I have no problem sharing them.

A parting of the hair is not the same as a picture of a bun.  I don't think it sounds silly at all.  I don't see anything wrong with conforming to one of the three long hair options when I'm in uniform.  My time out of uniform is what I reserve for individuality, creativity, and 'fun' hairstyles.  Work is work.  I'm told to dress a certain way, and do my hair a certain way, so I do.

Think yours has more to do with safety, just as we tell all females on the QL3 Course that eventhough braids and the like are allowed you will wear your hair in a bun when dealing with all tools etc.....

NFLD Sapper said:
Think yours has more to do with safety, just as we tell all females on the QL3 Course that eventhough braids and the like are allowed you will wear your hair in a bun when dealing with all tools etc.....

They said the bun, the single, or double braids were okay -- the only safety thing that we were told, was not to use bobby pins, as they became FOD pretty quickly. 

When I'm working with tools or things that spin, I usually tuck my braids up under a ballcap anyway, makes me feel a little safer, haha!

Sparkplugs said:
When I'm working with tools or things that spin, I usually tuck my braids up under a ballcap anyway, makes me feel a little safer, haha!

I might as well say it before the 'usual suspect'.

This thread is useless without pics.

Sparkplugs said:
They said the bun, the single, or double braids were okay -- the only safety thing that we were told, was not to use bobby pins, as they became FOD pretty quickly. 

I was able to get away with wearing my hair down in a braid (before the rules for such came into place) when I was going through training in Moose Jaw specifically for that reason.  I would take my hair down when I hit the flight line and put it back up before I left.  Also, with my hair down I could actually wear my helmet properly.

Back