• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cemetery grounds

Roger

Inactive
Reaction score
I decided to go hiking around Montreal, Mount Royal in particular. There is a large cemetery in the center of the mountain and decided to go for a walk through there. I had heard there was a strike by the cemetery workers there and had heard that there are quite a few families upset that there family members cannot be buried. What really caught my eye was that the grounds where not maintained at all and the grass and weeds have taken over the cemetary, in some places you cannot see the headstones. I happenned upon the military section and it seemed a shame that this section was overgrown as well. It just seems so sad to see this.

Did you do anything about it? Or are you planning on doing anything about it? It is sad, I agree, but until things get sorted, it will remain in the shit state. I am sure that the families of the fallen would appreciate any efforts you would make.

Chimo!

1.  The employees were locked out by the owners of the cemetery, they did not walk off the job. 

Per what was in the paper this morning, the Cardinal of Montreal has waded into the affair.  He has asked that the employees return to work and that management returns to the bargaining table....

time will tell if "divine intervention" can nudge both parties into resloving this labour dispute

Perhaps some of the local military members in Montreal might take a weekend and go to the military section to voluntarily perform some maintenance if the situation is not resolved?

You may also want to contact DHH as there was a push to get all military sections of cemetarys to the same standard, refurbished and well maintained.

I believe that things will work themselves out in relatively short order now that both parties have been ordered back to the bargaining table. 

Mount Royal is usually very nicely maintained:

montreal_x2_0286_300px.JPG

The Cross of Sacrifice, overlooking Veterans' plots in the cemeteries of Mount Royal (foreground) and Notre-Dame-des-Neiges (background), Montréal, PQ.

Others, I have found in my travels, suffer from lack of resources to do more than cut grass (if that):

toronto_stjohns_0321_300px.JPG

The grave marker of 477863 Private William C. Smith, a First World War soldier of The RCR. St John's (Norway) Cemetery, Toronto, ON.

From Their Name Liveth For Evermore.

Michael O'Leary said:
Mount Royal is usually very nicely maintained:

montreal_x2_0286_300px.JPG

The Cross of Sacrifice, overlooking Veterans' plots in the cemeteries of Mount Royal (foreground) and Notre-Dame-des-Neiges (background), Montréal, PQ.
FYI Notre-Dame-des-neiges cemetery is Catholic while Mount Royal cemetery isn't (all others)
It's the Catholic side that's been going thru their labour problems.

Matter of fact, Mount Royal cemetery has just undergone a major facelift where stones and grounds have been restored.

Back