• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Celer et Audax

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea which section this belongs in...

I was simply hoping someone could tell me the proper pronunciation as I have very limited knowledge of Latin...

I've heard it pronounced several different ways, and sadly google came up with nothing helpful.

I was actually aware of the translation, what I've never known is how its actually pronounced.

I've heard 'See-lair et aw-doo-wa' and also 'cee-lair eh oo-du-wa'

Reason Im asking is, Im having it tattooed on my forearms (Celer on the underside of my right forearm, Audax on my left) and when asked, would not only be able to translate it, but at least pronounce it properly.

when people ask, just look at them condescendingly, snort in dusgust at their appalling ignorance, and walk away.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..or get something you can pronounce...........

I'm not getting it for the words, but the meaning of them. Pronunciation would be a bonus mind you...

A tatoo.  Cool.  Get one that comes off easily in forty years.  On the plus side, it will keep you out of some "retirement" "security" (winkwink) "jobs" in later life, when you want to go fishing with the grandkids, but the "firm" wants someone who won't stand out on a beach. 

Oh, you have tatoos?  Next!

Tom

TCBF said:
A tattoo.  Cool.  Get one that comes off easily in forty years.  On the plus side, it will keep you out of some "retirement" "security" (winkwink) "jobs" in later life, when you want to go fishing with the grandkids, but the "firm" wants someone who won't stand out on a beach. 

Oh, you have tattoos?  Next!

Tom

Not really an issue for me, pronunciation is though. Anyone?

From what I can gather, seems I was petty much on the dot with how I was pronouncing it...

whew that was quick...

See not that hard with the internet eh?  Now imagine a first generation Italian kid, in a Highland regiment, trying to explain the kilt to his family, then going out and getting a tattoo of his cap badge with a Gaelic motto.

No internet in those days...so I made it up with a lot of practice and booze to help soften the tongue....

hehehehe

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
whew that was quick...

See not that hard with the internet eh?  Now imagine a first generation Italian kid, in a Highland regiment, trying to explain the kilt to his family, then going out and getting a tattoo of his cap badge with a Gaelic motto.

No internet in those days...so I made it up with a lot of practice and booze to help soften the tongue....

hehehehe

dileas

tess

;D ;D It was mostly a question of whether the 'r' was silent, and how 'au' was to be pronounced. My family is Scottish with a lot of Military roots, so I've got things easier than you.  ;D :o

Just make sure you get that Tat with a better font than Farmboy did.  Its so hard to read his.  :warstory:

I wasn't going to post, but can't resist.......Are you not a little concerned that the women will find "Swift" a little bit of a shortcoming?

If you want to pronounce it as latin would be traditionally pronounced, I would guess:

"Seller et odd-axe"

Basically as it's spelled.

I would have though keller et odd-ax - 'et' as in 'met'   and 'odd' as in 'Audi' - or, in a non-classical pinch, cheller et odd-ax - cheller as in Cheddar

George Wallace said:
I wasn't going to post, but can't resist.......Are you not a little concerned that the women will find "Swift" a little bit of a shortcoming?

hahaha, hopefully the "bold" will make up for it.  ;)

Celer et Audax is also the motto of the Regina Johns. Whose British affiliate is the Royal Green Jackets

bobthebui|der said:
I honestly have no idea which section this belongs in...

I was simply hoping someone could tell me the proper pronunciation as I have very limited knowledge of Latin...

I've heard it pronounced several different ways, and sadly google came up with nothing helpful.
Ch-ell-r ett awe-ducks

Twelve years later we finally have an answer! [:D

Back