• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

FWIW the governments had really no really good grasp of the situation in the beginning. Nor did the scientists. And that left a large segment of the population unsure and in some cases panicky. Panicky gets the attention.
That keeps being the excuse. I don't believe this. The governments knew exactly what demographic C19 was putting in the hospital and killing and which it wasn't very early and throughout. Well before the vaccine mandates this was known.

That keeps being the excuse. I don't believe this. The governments knew exactly what demographic C19 was putting in the hospital and killing and which it wasn't very early and throughout. Well before the vaccine mandates this was known.

I disagree. I think @OldSolduer is right. But that doesn't excuse the total disregard for ignoring the information as it became more and more clear what the actual situation was. That is until it became an untenable situation and they had no other choice.

Would you make up your mind?

Was the government ignorant and incompetent, or was it clever but malign?

Was information on which demographic most negatively affected by C19 available before the vaccine mandates, yes or no?

I can't mind read Lumber so I don't know motivations, but your continued ignorance of the basic facts is a notable feat.

I am not going to do your googling, but there is a ton of information now coming out that's pointing out that our response to COVID was way overboard. Lockdowns weren't necessary and did more damage than help, the masks have no effect, the vaccinations aren't as good as natural immunity and did nothing to stop the spread; and may be causing other health related issues, comorbidities were the biggest influence, and the elderly had the most to be concerned about.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Vaccination mandate update from Peterborough County, ON

Peterborough County is suspending its mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all county employees except Peterborough County-City Paramedics.

In mid-February 2023, Peterborough County suspended its mandatory COVID-19 vaccination for employees. However, the policy — which was adopted on Sept. 22, 2021 — remains in effect for Peterborough County-City paramedics.

As much as I detested the mask mandate and the lockdowns, in the very beginning they MAY have been required. Once it was determined who the Covid really hit (elderly and those with co morbidities) the restrictions could have been backed off a bit faster.
We did get a taste of what people will do though. Reporting your neighbors for a gathering that may have been a bit larger than lawful, the stare of death if you weren't masked outdoors I found abhorrent.

Hindsight is 20/20.

This isn't hindsight, it was disregarding information because of politics. In this case there were experts in the field raising the counter points as early as 2020 and they were chastised, and denigrated for not following the narrative.

Hindsight is an honest mistake. This was a chosen path for all the wrong reasons.

As much as I detested the mask mandate and the lockdowns, in the very beginning they MAY have been required. Once it was determined who the Covid really hit (elderly and those with co morbidities) the restrictions could have been backed off a bit faster.

I can understand some measures at the very beginning while we sort things out, but as you allude too this went on to long. And the effects this has had on our society and most importantly children are immense. Its very well established now that our kids are now behind in learning and in social capacities.

We did get a taste of what people will do though. Reporting your neighbors for a gathering that may have been a bit larger than lawful, the stare of death if you weren't masked outdoors I found abhorrent.

This is some of the damage to our society I am talking about. These kinds of broken relationships are probably unmendable.

Gee.....hope Canada don't have a real crisis someday.

Amazing how weak some folks think the human race is......our kids are fine, our society is fine, hopefully the lessons learned are some we'll never need, because it'll be another hundred years down the road, and those of us bickering here are all dead anyways.

Amazing how weak some folks think the human race is......our kids are fine, our society is fine, hopefully the lessons learned are some we'll never need, because it'll be another hundred years down the road, and those of us bickering here are all dead anyways.
Humanity is one tough mo fo. The Black Plague killed off about 25% of the population of Europe. There are cases reported every year somewhere in the world. Lets not forget all the wars we as humans have fought.

The Spanish flu killed 100 million IIRC. Humans are still here.

COVID? Rank amateur of illnesses.

Humanity is one tough mo fo. The Black Plague killed off about 25% of the population of Europe. There are cases reported every year somewhere in the world. Lets not forget all the wars we as humans have fought.

The Spanish flu killed 100 million IIRC. Humans are still here.

COVID? Rank amateur of illnesses.
It turned out to be........wonder what we did different then those times??

It turned out to be........wonder what we did different then those times??
Black Plague - it ran its course. How it was defeated - if it ever was - I don't know.

The Spanish flu kind of mutated and petered out. Wars? Still here and will be forever more.

Remember leprosy - it is still here. There were leper colonies established. How long they existed I don't know right now.

Humanity finds a way.

Its hard to engage with someone in conversation when they simply rely on hyperbolic statements.

I hope Canada never has a real crisis either. It should worry everyone that for something as minor as COVID 19 our government went to the extremes it did. Imagine what would happen if we had a real crisis. I'm not sure what's scarier, the government's actions or the willingness of populace to blindly follow.

I hope Canada never has a real crisis either. It should worry everyone that for something as minor as COVID 19 our government went to the extremes it did.
And there's the fun fact in your factoid.....'minor'.......and a thinking man would probably say it's because of the second part of your factoid.

Back