• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Hostage James Loney Rescued by SAS in Iraq

I just watched on CTV News Net that JTF-2 was also part of this rescue.  Has anyone else heard anything about their role in it?

CNN Reports the forces involved in the rescue as US and British Forces whereas BBC reports the forces involved as multi-national forces.
Whatever the truth is, I am thankful that the hostages have been freed. Condolences to the friends and family of Tom Fox.

Yea, CNN has never been one to acknowledge anyone but the US (on most ocasions).  When the Canadians were hit with the IED awhile ago, I saw a blurb on CNN about it.  Never once did they mention Canada.  All they simply said was "US Lead Coalition Forces had their convoy hit with an IED near Kandahar"...as if it would be some sort of chore to actually say "Canadians" and acknowledge our presence there...  ::)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060323/hostages_freed_060323/20060323?hub=TopStories

CTV News has learned that Canada's elite JTF-2 special forces played a role in helping to rescue the three aid workers, held captive in Baghdad.

Well, there it is..

This will definitely be a moral boost for the CF. 
Expect to see lots of young keen recruits walking into recruiting offices say "I want to be in JTF."

Good stuff.

UberCree said:
This will definitely be a moral boost for the CF. 
Expect to see lots of young keen recruits walking into recruiting offices say "I want to be in JTF."

Recruiter: "Sure, kid.  Sign here." ;)

Applicant: "Sergeant, what is a Meaford?"

Recruiter: "Don't worry kid, that's where they train JTF troops in the very beginning."

Applicant: "How long before I get to JTF, sergeant?"

Recruiter: "So, how about them Senators, eh?"

:crybaby:

I can't seen too much of a problem even if our military was involved.  Canadian citizens were being held hostage in Iraq and so it seems pretty reasonable that our military would/should be involved.  No doubt the usual suspects will claim that this is "real proof" of something or other.   :eek:

I would like to believe you and I do agree with what you said however there are tin foil hat wearing people of voting age out there that don't operate on logic.

HDE said:
I can't seen too much of a problem even if our military was involved.  Canadian citizens were being held hostage in Iraq and so it seems pretty reasonable that our military would/should be involved.  No doubt the usual suspects will claim that this is "real proof" of something or other.  :eek:

I'm at work and don't have time to dig through Google news archives right now, but I would swear on a tray of Double Doubles that a couple years ago Canada had sent RCMP  and Military Police into Iraq. I don't think anyone should be surprised that Canada had a contingent there.

Haggis said:
Applicant: "Sergeant, what is a MeafordMudford?"

How ironic !  The very people these hippies despise saved their asses. ;D I visited their web site and there is no mention of the rescue. They maintain that they were released...released by who, give me a break. I also have no sympathy for these missguided  tree huggers. If they want to go over there and assist, put on a helmet and rifle. There are no trees over there to hug! All the hugs, kisses, and love ins in the world would not have gotten them released. I may come off as being cold, but I don't feel sorry at all for their American colleague either. With the current situation over there they all fully well understood what would happen to westerners. What these people are doing over there is  farcical at the least. ( I wonder if they were happy to be rescured by allied armed forces. )

Good work over there boys :salute: :cdn:

aluc said:
How ironic !  The very people these hippies despise saved their asses. ;D I visited their web site and there is no mention of the rescue. They maintain that they were released...released by who, give me a break.

I found the bolded part to be quite shocking so I went to the site and read it for myself. Please, don't shoot the messenger!

Maybe I'm old fashioned or something but someone literally saves my life I'd like to think I'd have the human decency to say "Thank you."

Excellent news.  I had figured those hostages were pretty much finished after all this time.  Good to hear that the DHTC fellas may have had a part in it.  Has this been confirmed?  I mean they are saying it on the news but ..... media does not always = accuracy.

On my way home today I was listening to CBC radio news and they only mentioned that the RCMP had taken part in this op.  Something tells me that if there was any door kicking to be done in Iraq it would not have been done by a civilian police agency. 

Media...pfffft.... Figures.

hmmm.... think about it. Can anyone else here name some religious organizations that refuse to acknowledge any good work done by western militaries?

QV said:
Something tells me that if there was any door kicking to be done in Iraq it would not have been done by a civilian police agency. 
Who do you think did Canada's domestic anti-terrorist "door kicking" role prior to the JTF-2?

TMM said:
I'm at work and don't have time to dig through Google news archives right now, but I would swear on a tray of Double Doubles that a couple years ago Canada had sent RCMP  and Military Police into Iraq. I don't think anyone should be surprised that Canada had a contingent there.

Close, very close.  Canada did send RCMP to train the Iraqi police, but they are doing it in Jordan, not Iraq.

Back