• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC: Dozens of Taliban killed in Afghan Battle

von Garvin said:
Ditto on the comment re: LCol Lavoie.  I remember him from WAY BACK when he was a 2Lt.  Hopefully the good will gesture goes a lot further than just good will.  Treating your enemy with respect is one way to sow the seeds for peace.

Oui, je suis d'accord.

It's much better than a photographer filming you burning them while a PSYOPs team taunts the enemy on the loudspeaker....

milnewstbay said:
Afghan officials said between 60 and 72 suspected insurgents were killed and NATO included those figures in an official statement which claimed the insurgents in the area had been "defeated."NATO has generally refused to provide estimates on insurgent casualties and provided no tally after the Aug. 3 battle in Panjwaii where four Canadian soldiers were killed.

Lavoie dismissed suggestions the weekend operation, a "deliberate" one, was a form of payback for those deaths and the deaths of other Canadian soldiers in Panjwaii in recent months.
"We don't keep a scorecard and you certainly don't win counter-insurgency operations through any sort of a body count or a tally," he said.

And exactly whose suggestion was that? Some media arsehole trying to create a spin on the story?

Infanteer said:
Oui, je suis d'accord.

It's much better than a photographer filming you burning them while a PSYOPs team taunts the enemy on the loudspeaker....

How can I respond diplomatically ? The troops burned the bodies because the locals wouldnt bury them.
It was a hygiene issue.

http://www.time.com/time/world/printout/0,8816,1125699,00.html

tomahawk6 said:
How can I respond diplomatically ? The troops burned the bodies because the locals wouldnt bury them.
It was a hygiene issue.

http://www.time.com/time/world/printout/0,8816,1125699,00.html

That link is from 2005, what has this to do with the initial post? Did they do the same thing?

Infanteer said:
Oui, je suis d'accord.

Response to Infanteer.

tomahawk6 said:
Great start for the rotation and Lt.-Col. Omer Lavoie. I noticed in a ctv article that the taliban have asked for the remains of their fighters and the TF returned 17 or 18 bodies as a good will gesture.

Here is a link to a story on the subject:  http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20060813%2ftaliban_fighters_dead_060821&showbyline=True

When I first read the story my initial reaction was 'screw them', but you guys have changed my opinion.  My initial feeling was based on the history of the Taliban's conduct against civillians and coalition troops, but I think the goodwill gesture is an important point. 

Well done lads, and stay safe!!

tomahawk6 said:
It was a hygiene issue.

I'm referring more to the psyops guys with the megaphone.

Anyways, my point was to emphasize vonG's statement about "chivalry" and the difference between returning the bodies or taunting the enemy while they were being burned (for whatever reason)....

Infanteer said:
Oui, je suis d'accord.

A classic Infanteer, good on ya!

Wes

well, I guess the Royals have signalled to the Talibs that it's "business as usual" for the Cdn TF and that our knives have not been dulled.

Ubique!

Seeing:

CANADIANS HAMMER TALIBAN

in big print on the front page of the Globe and Mail today made my morning.  :)

I'd have traded all the KAF Tim Hortons stories in the world for that.

m410 said:
Seeing:

CANADIANS HAMMER TALIBAN

in big print on the front page of the Globe and Mail today made my morning.   :)

I'd have traded all the KAF Tim Hortons stories in the world for that.

Thats a change, the Canadian media behind the troops for once. Am I dreaming? Will I wake up in my own bed in a tropical environment back in dear ole Queensland, or in a room full of bad wind, bad breath and 45C desert heat, with the chatter of not-so-friendly SAF in the distance, accompanied by some very distinct loud booms and bangs.

Anyways, good to see the G&M have some balls, but there might be a hidden agenda, and won't it stir the supporters of the bad guys who live locally and around from NS to BC.

Wes

Wesley 'Over There' (formerly Down Under) said:
Thats a change, the Canadian media behind the troops for once. Am I dreaming?

An interview by CBC with Brig.-Gen. David Fraser last night made the mistake of asking him why the stories of reconstruction, etc are not getting out to the Canadian Public, and he immediately pointed at the media as the problem, saying that they all want to go to the gunfights, but the other stuff is not sexy enough. (ad libbing)

the newsie asked a question and the man answered the question......

beware what you ask for.... you may get the answer you least want to hear..... IMHO :)

geo said:
the newsie asked a question and the man answered the question......

beware what you ask for.... you may get the answer you least want to hear..... IMHO :)

Isn't the saying....

Never ask a question you don't want to hear the answer for!?!?!!!

Trinity said:
Isn't the saying....

Never ask a question you don't want to hear the answer for!?!?!!!

Same saying, just in a newfie dialect. :)

Back