• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Career advice - DEO Infantry Officer vs. NCM Infantry

NigelT

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

Last February (2012) I initially applied for DEO Infantry Officer upon graduation from University. This past summer I completed my aptitude test and medical, as well as sat with a recruiter and an additional Captain for roughly 2 hrs and discussed the positives and negatives of following an Officer path or starting from NCM.

Come last October the Local Recruiting Office eventually closed my file for the fiscal year of 2012 as there was no open officer positions. This February (2013) I've reapplied again for Officer but am again waiting as the position is currently still 'closed'.

I am again considering taking the NCM route. My logic is that I would do a 3 year contract as an NCM and near the end of my contract decide whether I wanted to continue as an NCM or attempt for a occupational transfer. By the sounds of it, DEO Infantry Officer might not even open this year (thats what recruiters have led me to believe), and even if it does, there are people that didn't have there files closed last year and so are merit listed already and in line for positions.

I would much rather be in the forces than not. But what does everyone think? Merit of NCM vs. Officer? Opinions on doing a 3 year contract and then trying to transfer (if that's what I decide)?

Thank you all in advance!
Nigel

there are a lot of different forums on here about this same exact subject

NigelT said:
I would do a 3 year contract as an NCM and near the end of my contract decide whether I wanted to continue as an NCM or attempt for a occupational transfer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't OT from a NCM trade to an Officer, You would have to undergo CFR for that to happen, which, from what I've heard, takes longer than 3 years.

Nigel,

My advice to you is to go Officer and to stick with it.  Do not think that as an NCM you will just be able to switch like that.  On top of this you will have to basically restart your training all over again as Offr Trg is very different from NCM Trg and you will be nowhere senior enough to get a pass on ANY of the officer courses.  Likewise, Moving up the ranks in both Officer and NCM is age dependent and if you join one and then switch you may be limiting yourself depending on how old you are.  This is if rank and your career is all that important to you which it may be. 

Back