• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cardio or strength

Big burn

Inactive
Reaction score
What is for you the most important between Cardio And Strength to be a good soldier in the CF. What has made it easier for you during deployments or courses you've done.

You need both strength and stamina.  IMO one isn't more important than the other.  How useful are you going to be in the infantry (or whatever) if you can lift XYZ thing, but have the stamina of a sloth?  Or if you've got the stamina of a marathon runner but can't even lift your pack? 

For me - (and I'm just training for BMQ while waiting to get in) - it's about a well rounded workout.  Combining/ alternating your workouts to encompass both strength and endurance training.

You are right, i was especially thinking about the 13 kilometers, it needs strength but you also need to be able to actually do the 13 clic.  Anybody thinks one is more important than the other? If they're had to be i'd say running cause u can me in movement so fast that ur enemy aint able to know your location but it has its bad and its good.

For most, cardio is the most important simply because it tends to be much harder to develop, unless you are one of those skinny marathon runners, in which case the opposite is true.  It all depends on the individual.  Ultimately you will need both, but if I had to rate which is more important, cardio all the way.  You wont be able to lift a heavy pack if you are out of breath and have no more aerobic capacity left.  The best way to train for the CF is to do aerobics classes, do some weight training, and do a few runs a week.  If you do all of that on a disciplined schedule then life will be easy.  The disciplined schedule however is the hard part.

I am in very good shape now,

If I was disciplined, I would be in absolutely outstanding shape.  I think im going to go visit a hypnotist and ask them to insert that attribute into my personality.

Actually you are right, it aint that hard to get in very good shape but then to keep it is a whole other world.

This can be answered quite simply. And the answer is.....

A good balance of both.

To be stronger in either will leave you short sticked when it comes time to do tasks that require both skills.

Big burn said:
Actually you are right, it aint that hard to get in very good shape but then to keep it is a whole other world.

Actually, I find that since I have been in my 30s, it has been hard to both get in shape and stay in shape, but really, its all about the discipline.  I was stupid and let myself slide a few years back, and it was an immense struggle to get it all back, and worst of all, all that effort just to get to somewhere I had already been.  Never let that happen to you!

CFSCE_Survivor said:
Both are needed but as far as the 13 k is concerned, it's 10% physical and 90% mental  ;)
Not sure I would agree with this breakdown, unless of course you are kidding.

Truth be told... I wasn't kidding! Well that's my opinion. I think where the endurance and cardio are mostly needed are after the 13 km; not so much for the fireman carry but the trench after a 13 km, but hey, that's just me  ;)

Big burn said:
You are right, i was especially thinking about the 13 kilometers, it needs strength but you also need to be able to actually do the 13 clic.  Anybody thinks one is more important than the other? If they're had to be i'd say running cause u can me in movement so fast that ur enemy aint able to know your location but it has its bad and its good.

As posted elsewhere, your body adapts (funny thing about evolution and all that) to whatever imposed demand you give it. Do alot of cardio, your aerobic capacity will go up, lots of strength training (given a sound program incl rest), your anaerobic capacity will go up. Do specific exercises, you will become better at executing those specific movements. Bottom line, for the BFT, think about the three tests involved. For the march, your body will only be conditioned properly by doing work-ups with an increasingly heavier pack and progressively longer distance (up to 13 km). The Army Fitness Manual has a work-up plan. Running helps, but will not condition the legs, feet, shoulders and back the same way a heavy pack, wearing boots will.
Squats, leg-presses, deadlifts and lunges (IF done properly under a sound training plan) will certainly help in hoisting a pers onto your shoulders. Practicing the movement and proper positioning of the "casualty" will again develop muscle memory.
Trench dig - same thing - maybe kettlebell exercises to simulate the movement will help condition the core, shoulders and arms.

I would also add that it is worth looking at the types of activities one is expected to do in a particular trade or specific course. Heavy lifting activities (eg engineers), section attacks/CQB activities and obstacle course type activities come to mind as examples of strength-centric (with requisite as-close-as-possible-to-real-life training activities to condition the body). Long marches, patrols etc require different type of conditioning and aerobic fitness, esp in extreme conditions (cold/heat). All activities require a certain amount of mental conditioning as well, only achieved through progressively more difficult and challenging exercises/scenarios (ie knowing your limit and safely elevating this threshold).

Stamina man....... it's how long you can bear with it.. and in that case you need both strength and cardiovascular prowess.

You need them both why else would the Physical Fitness Guide for Applicants to the CF
as found under http://www.forces.ca/media/_PDF/physical_fitness_en.pdf

For cardio:

Triathlon is a really good sports if you wish to get into really good shape.  It will cover running, swimming, cycling.  Running will be useful for building aerobic component.  Swimming in open water for extended time period will make your swimming requirement in CF seem like nothing.  Not only that long hours of training necessary to make sure you can perform well in all three sports will help with disciplines.  Training hours can mount upto around 10-20 hrs/week for most people.  Nutrition (post and pre-workout), injury management (everyone gets injured for sure), discipline, etc will become your instincts in eventual future if you involve yourself into this sports for sure.  Beside, you get the bragging rights.  ;D

For strength:

Calisthenics and weight training helps.  Push up, sit up, leg raise, etc can easily be done at anywhere and requires little space. 

The best workout which combines strengh and cardio would be doing circuit training in my opinion.  Although this is debated amongst a lot of people.  Do what works for you in making yourself more fit.

I agree, one is no more important than the other!
Best bet like most are saying is to emulate similar movements so that your body adapts to those specific work outs.
Another good strength training application is isometrics, which is a contraction of the muscle with out movement. This strengthens the muscle and tendon at the joint.
Ex. When doing push-ups, Rather in between sets or at the end of a vigorous work out hold one position for as long as possible, try holding it at different angels each time.

Excellent advice...I'm 32 now, and have learned (the hard way) not to pull the macho "Mr. Olympia" BS weights workouts...I focus primarily on cardio now, and as you get older, cardio is # 1 for sure (though bone density and strength always have their place, of course). Then again, I've always been strong, so I'm focusing on my key area(s). Being a more muscular/heavy build on a shorter frame (5 foot 10), I know that the heart being in great shape is most important for me in the long-term.

Know yourself, your family history, and go from there, I say.

Back