• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car Thief Beaten- Will We See More of The Same?

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
An outstanding article on what we will see more of in the future........and would be seeing a lot of right now if the general public had a clue about our *cough* criminal justice system.

Justifiable rage
By TOM BRODBECK

Car thief Stanley Ross is in for a rude awakening.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger, who was severely beaten following a two-car crash Saturday, has been in a medically induced coma for most of the week.
When, or if, he comes to, he's going to be in for a bit of a shock when he's told about the vitriolic anger directed -- not at his assailant -- but at him.
E-mails and phone calls continued to pour into the Winnipeg Sun yesterday from people supporting the vigilante-style beating Ross took.

Two-thirds of readers in the Sun's online poll Wednesday said Ross got what he deserved.
It's unnerving for some to hear this. But there's a very good reason why this level of rage -- from otherwise reasonable and civilized people -- has emerged.
People have lost faith in our criminal justice system.

Vigilantism, or acceptance of it, doesn't happen in a vacuum.
It occurs when the public no longer feels the justice system is holding criminals accountable for their actions.
In a civilized society, we give up our right to take justice into our own hands in exchange for a criminal justice system that, instead of beating criminals with baseball bats, takes their liberties away and segregates them from society.

We put them behind bars.
Granted, we'd often prefer to strangle the low-life who killed, raped or maimed.
But we generally accept the most humane way of dealing with the situation is to denounce the crimes loudly through incarceration and by ensuring sentences are proportionate to the gravity of the crime.

It's a reasonable trade-off. And when it's carried out properly, it generally works.
It's a social contract.

Trouble is, Canada's pointy-headed social worker types hijacked our criminal justice system some years ago and convinced lawmakers and judges that rehabilitation and re-integration into the community are far more important goals than deterring and denouncing serious crimes.
The liberal-left in this country managed to swing the criminal justice pendulum so far away from traditional sentencing principles that they broke the social contract.
Which means all bets are off.

And people want to beat car thieves with baseball bats.
It's a natural and entirely predictable reaction.
It will get worse, too, if governments and the judiciary don't start honouring the social contract again.

Look at car thieves.
We have a program in Winnipeg where young, chronic car thieves are rarely jailed for their crimes.
Instead, they're released into the community, on probation, and are supposedly monitored by justice officials.
Not surprisingly, they regularly breach their probation and often repeat their crimes, sometimes over and over again.

Cops and justice officials know who they are and where they live.
But because our justice system is so hell-bent on releasing criminals into the community, they're not held accountable for the 10, 20 or 100 cars they steal. It's extremely frustrating for the public.
How else do you expect them to react after years of this nonsense other than "let's beat the hell out of the little punk?"

The chickens have come home to roost.

Tom Brodbeck is the Sun's city columnist. He can be reached by e-mail at: tbrodbeck@wpgsun.com.
Letters to the editor should be sent to letters@wpgsun.com.

Not one so support vigilantinism (is that's a word?) BUT what deterent affect did it have on his peers? Will he try to do it again?
Punishment vs. Deterent affect?
my 0.02
:)

There is absolutly nothing wrong with "street level justice", just as long as you don't get caught.  ;D
For a good read on this subject check out "Without Remorse" it's a Tom Clancy book... very entertaining.

I've also heard The Guardian Angles are become active in Canada once again. I don't know much about them but maybe it's a sign average people have finally had enough?

It's a shame things have been allowed to fall to the level where normally decent people feel the need to take a bat to these pukes.  A gunnysack full of doorknobs gives a much more satisfying "THWOCK!"

One of the upsides of totalitarian/theological countries like Iran is that they practice the "eye for an eye" style justice system.
Some punk decides to steal a car, he gets caught and they lop off his arm. Some scum decides to rape a woman or a child, he looses his 'din-dong.' And a murderer who decides to take someone's life will eventually lose his.
Not only does it guarantee the perp won't repeat the same crime (because he physically can't) but its one a hell of a deterant when the, ahem *ceremonies* are public shows. Now if only the justice officials in those types of states weren't corrupt and unfair towards women and other minorities, they might be on to something.

I was offered a security position by this guys security company on new years eve after jumping in on a brawl and punching some guy in the face repeatedly, just to let you in on SK's hiring practices.
The guy deserved repeated punches to the face though, he had punched a girl in the face when she was on her knees.
These guys are a bunch of idiots, some were on the ball but others were buying and selling drugs and they were inapproriately frisking female party goers, they do not have female guards on staff.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/local/story/3840154p-4443456c.html

"Salihovic, a Bosnian immigrant, was himself arrested July 1, 2005 when police pulled over a car for speeding on Provencher Boulevard and found a red container with 14 rocks of crack cocaine. He was charged with possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking."

my mistake, bosnian, he was bosnian.

More from the Winnipeg Sun:  http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2007/01/13/3341383-sun.html

January 13, 2007

Justice wake-up call, Criminals must be held responsible for crimes
By TOM BRODBECK

Not even the unbearable, biting Prairie cold can quell the auto theft problem in this city, as wily car thieves continued to punch through key-hole locks and car ignitions well into the frigid night this week.

There were 51 reported motor vehicle thefts and attempted thefts in Winnipeg Thursday -- the day the mercury took a nose dive into the minus 30s -- according to Winnipeg police data.

Apparently, these guys will stop at nothing to steal your car, whether it's parked at a shopping mall, on the street or in your driveway.

Considering the number of chronic car thieves out on the street this week, the spike of car thefts is not surprising.

Police sources say there were 12 Level 4 and Level 3 car thieves wanted in the community this week. Those are the most chronic car thieves under the age of 18 -- kids who steal cars over and over again -- allegedly monitored by justice officials. I say allegedly because the monitoring system they announced last year is turning out to be a bit of a joke.

They keep telling us how many they're monitoring. But we see a spike in car thefts every time a bunch of them are released into the community.

Cops actually keep track of how car thefts go up whenever more Level 4s and Level 3s are back on the streets.

It's precisely why so many Winnipeggers have reacted so angrily to the story of Stanley Ross, the convicted car thief who was beaten with a baseball bat last week.

There seems to be some confusion about the story, too. Many readers are wondering why some are calling the assault a vigilante beating when the alleged assailant apparently didn't know Ross was a car thief.

That's not the story. The story is the public's reaction to the beating. The story is the rage many feel about car thieves generally who are not held accountable for their actions by the justice system.

RAGE

The public knows Ross is a car thief and they're condoning the violence against him because they don't see the justice system taking action against car thieves.

We don't have all the details about the beating. When we do, we can start judging the alleged assailant, Ross and anybody else who was involved.

There also seems to be some confusion about what I wrote yesterday. I explained why we're seeing this rage against car thieves.

Some wrongly concluded that I'm suggesting vigilante justice is warranted in this case. It's not. It never is.

I merely explained why people feel the way they do because of the collapse of the justice system. It's entirely predictable.

It's not, as a Winnipeg Sun editorial wrongly concluded about my piece yesterday, something that makes for an easy excuse to justify vigilantism.

It's simply reality. When the justice system fails to live up to its end of the bargain, you're going to see people rebel and they will begin to support the idea of vigilante justice.

That's what you want to avoid. We don't want people taking the law into their own hands. That's why this story should be a wake-up call to politicians, justice officials and judges.

Some people don't want to accept this reality. They don't truly believe the justice system has collapsed. If they did, they would understand the public backlash. They don't.

It's real, folks. And it won't go away until the justice system starts holding criminals responsible for their crimes.

The warning signs are all there.

-----------------------------------

Oh and in response to the idea that one should not just post items without a personal opinion.... I think vigilante justice is wrong. The fact that this "justice" was carried out by a previously convicted crack dealer also doesn't speak well for the practise. I am also against chopping peoples hands, "din dongs" etc off. I am also against hangings in sport stadiums.
To be precise I am against street justice. It's very hard to take it back after you find out this form of instant justice got it wrong. I recognize the frustration but the rule of law is supposed to represent an evolved society.

If everyone is unhappy with the way the criminal justice system is handling car thieves in Manitoba, or anywhere for that matter, then do something about it. Be proactive and write to your member of parliament or hit the streets and get a petition signed to send to the government. Don't sit there and complain and do nothing. Vigilantism is the wrong way of handling this situation. Make the politicians aware of what you want and punish them on election day if they don't follow through.

If you want to get the attention of this country's lawmakers then increase the vigilantly style of street level justice.

Writing letters is a total waste of time.  Newspaper head lines will make lawmakers react.

career_radio-checker said:
One of the upsides of totalitarian/theological countries like Iran is that they practice the "eye for an eye" style justice system.
Some punk decides to steal a car, he gets caught and they lop off his arm. Some scum decides to rape a woman or a child, he looses his 'din-dong.' And a murderer who decides to take someone's life will eventually lose his.
Not only does it guarantee the perp won't repeat the same crime (because he physically can't) but its one a hell of a deterant when the, ahem *ceremonies* are public shows. Now if only the justice officials in those types of states weren't corrupt and unfair towards women and other minorities, they might be on to something.

With all its faults, I will still stick to our Legal System, than convert to theirs.  These images, I am sure, mask a truly corrupt and archaic Legal System and one that we have left behind centuries ago.  Perhaps you should look into the Topic we have on the Iranian girl facing the death penalty for killing in self defence, one of the three men who were raping her.  With all its flaws, our system is still light years ahead of theirs.

Having spoken to many policemen my father being one of them they have their hands tied went it comes to chasing down stolen cars. For example stopped at an intersection look at a bunch of pukes in another car he types in the plate number comes up stolen. Pukes do a burn out start driving crazy after the disco lights come on police have to call off chase to protect other motorists. Sometimes if the city has a helocopter they can get it to follow the car while police cruisers follow from a distance without lights wait until the scumbag ditches the car and then attempt an arrest. What the %$#@ is that chase em down ram them off the road and re-educate them with some street level lessons. The police love to chase and love to catch the badguys let them do their job....... Average joe blow wants the police to do it so he doesn't have to.

"Average joe blow" doesn't want innocent lives lost in the process. The problem is not the police, not the jails but the revolving door that our courts have become.....

Tell me about it.... especially the repeat young offenders. What is being done about them. I'm sure they laugh at the justice system the whole time even when they are caught.

msg510390#msg510390 date=1168703179]
If you want to get the attention of this country's lawmakers then increase the vigilantly style of street level justice.

Writing letters is a total waste of time.  Newspaper head lines will make lawmakers react.
[/quote]

Nah, just steal their car. Then they will know what it feels like. (note: this is supposed to be a sarcastic response to an equally sarcastic suggestion of engaging in vigilanteism for the sake of newspaper headlines)

With all its faults, I will still stick to our Legal System, than convert to theirs.  These images, I am sure, mask a truly corrupt and archaic Legal System and one that we have left behind centuries ago.  Perhaps you should look into the Topic we have on the Iranian girl facing the death penalty for killing in self defence, one of the three men who were raping her.  With all its flaws, our system is still light years ahead of theirs.

I thought that little bit I put in the end about them being "unfair to women and minorities" covered that. Anyways it wasn't the legal system I was proping up, it was the methods of punishment.

To all the wannabe vigilantes out there, you do realize that if you get caught "being a good citizen" you can be charge, and for us in the CF is it really worth your career.
Who will take care of your family while you are locked up?
I no the police are having a rough time dealing with violence on the streets, but answering violence with more violence is not going to help.
My dad spent 3 years in jail for breaking up a bar fight that got out of hand, and he almost killed a guy, the judge didn't care that he didn't have any prior convictions.
I never got to see my father for 3 years because he thought he was helping somebody else, and when it came time for that person to testify on my fathers behalf, he never showed up.
My dad was a very good boxer and is a big man so he hit one of the assailants pretty hard, trying to help save this other guy from a brutal beating.
When he got out of jail he refused to allow us to be involved in any boxing, martial arts and if we ever got into fights at school we were severely dealt with.

Vigilantes don't work, same as the death penalty,and if you don't believe me get in touch with David Milgaard, or any other person who was wrongly convicted.

Rant over

There is more than meets the eye in these stories ( the Winnipeg one ), my sister-in-law and her husband witnessed the accident and the beating, from what I know, I'd be watching for charges to be laid.

Hmm,- More Of The Same?

January 17, 2007 
Acquittal not an option for vigilante dad

By TIM COOK

YORKTON, Sask. (CP) - The father who shot his teenage daughter's drug-dealing boyfriend says that whatever the outcome of jury deliberations that began Wednesday, the ordeal he and his family have been through has all been worth it.
"Our daughter is alive," Kim Walker said as he and his wife, Elizabeth, returned to the Yorkton court house Wednesday evening shortly before the jury retired for the evening.

"Everything we've been through - she's worth everything we've been through," his wife added.
Walker said he's received support from across the country.
"A lot of support," he said.
"There's a lot of people who are with us, definitely," his wife added before they walked inside.

Walker, 50, was charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of 24-year-old James Hayward, a convicted drug dealer who court heard was doing morphine with Walker's daughter.
But Hayward's grief-stricken mother said people are not getting the real impression of her son.
"He was a good person," Lorrie Getty said in her first public statements since the trial began. "Because I was told not to talk to the media and because they only report what is sensational in this trial, the public has not been well informed."

While Walker believes he "saved" his daughter from her addiction by shooting Hayward, Getty said she didn't get the chance to help her son.
"Because no one told me that my son was taking morphine . . . I was never given the opportunity to save my son," she said outside court.
Before the jury began its deliberations, Justice Jennifer Pritchard told the eight women and four men they must not consider acquittal an option.

They must decide only if Walker is guilty of first-or second-degree murder, or manslaughter, because there was no evidence that showed that Hayward's killing was lawful, Pritchard said.
"Manslaughter is the minimum offence that has been committed in this case," the judge said.
The jury has heard how Walker's daughter, Jadah, then 16, was living with Hayward in the months before the attack and the two were using morphine.

In the week before the shooting, Walker and his wife received a letter from one of Jadah's friends warning them of the addiction.
After going to police, they managed to get a warrant committing Jadah to a hospital for 72 hours.
When she was released, her parents took her home, but she was soon picked up by friends and taken to Hayward's.
That's when Walker went over and gunned down Hayward in a front room of the house.

"It is for you to say whether the murder of James Hayward was both planned and deliberate," Pritchard told the jury. "Could any plan made in such circumstances be considered deliberate?"
The defence had argued that the slaying was a father's desperate attempt to save his daughter from a debilitating addiction.
In his closing argument, lawyer Morris Bodnar asked the jury to send the message that "we are mad as hell and we did something about people killing our children."

Speaking with reporters outside court Wednesday, Bodnar reaffirmed that position.
"In the end, yes, it was a father saving his daughter - a very concerned parent who saw his daughter going downhill and what we think was on the verge of dying," he said.
"If the jury came back with manslaughter, my client would be happy."
The Crown countered by arguing that the killing was the calculating act of a parent who wanted his daughter's boyfriend dead and Hayward did not deserve second-class justice because of his drug problems.
Crown lawyer Daryl Bode called the attack a "deliberate, intentional" choice that Walker made.

On the stand, Walker testified he could remember only snippets from around the time of the shooting.
But Bode reminded the jury how Walker must have gone to his basement, got his gun, loaded it with 10 bullets and brought 20 more with him. He told jurors that Walker drove to Hayward's house, parked his truck neatly on the side of the street, went into the house to grab Jadah and, when she wouldn't leave, unloaded his gun in Hayward's direction.

Hayward ended up being hit five times and bled to death on the floor.

Back